PDA

View Full Version : Books to read to hone a aggressive/hyper aggressive style?

Crispy
08-04-2005, 03:42 AM
I have read HoH 1&2, sklansky's tournament poker and Super Systems 2. As you can see, the advise offered in each of these books is fundamentally the same, but the aggression factors proposed are all different. If you dont feel like reading on. I want to know what books to read that tutor aggressive and hyper aggressive style. Because with these styles you need to be able to know the psyche of your opponent and use it against him. To me these styles are the most profitable.

After reading SS2 my game was helped a little, after adding some aggression to my game. However SS2 doesnt really offer you the best advise on getting your money in on gambles when you have +EV situations. So I read sklansky which opened me up to situations where being tight and selectively loose can show profit, although not that much to be honest. Then I read HoH2 which I have to say are excellent books for those that get into the money but are being blinded away and want to do something about it. I can see times when he open pushes with 108o or 102o whatever it was in his inflection points section. However, looking at Harrington on TV i usually see him at <avg stack size and seeing him get a lucky double up to move up a few spots on the ladder.

Thus to my point. I have found a style that works for me but isnt complete. I find that being aggressive and trying to play the people and not the cards is very profitable in itself. This allows me to get close to the money with a pretty good stack size >avg but then making an incorrect move because of a bad read. I would like to hear from the aggressive 2+2ers that have found success and what books you read or how you honed your skill? Thank you for your time,

Regards,
Crispy

dirty moose
08-04-2005, 04:13 AM
I think most of the books on the market do 2 things, teach the 1)TAG style 2)have a few pages on the super agg style. I guess most authors think its the safest and "smartest" way to play a tournment; get you money in when you have the best of it.

Heres what i think will help you, set aside a few bucks you dont mind losing and play some LL SNG'S and do alot of raising and see how it works out for you. I dont "think" theres a book out there just for a super agg style, but plelase dont quote me on that one.

EDIT

As for getting deep into a tourny and losing or bubblling, this could be some bad luck or something else i see alot, 10 spots from the money, poeple seems to stop playing, they go into flod everything but AA and KK, this is the time to switch to being an AGG player, i think youll find alot of people around the AVG stack that dont think its a big deal to let people run over them. Take advantage of this, yes its a gamble and yes you might get played back @, but you trying to win the thing, not just make the money. Keep that in mind when its getting late

MagnoliasFM
08-04-2005, 07:53 AM
super/system.