PDA

View Full Version : Please god make it stop!

Nottom
08-04-2005, 02:43 AM
Down 34 buyins and still going ...

I think i'm gonna go crazy soon.

Shilly
08-04-2005, 02:45 AM
Just keep at it...

I just clawed my way out of the biggest downswing I've had since I started playing SNGs, I'm sure you can make it, too.

08-04-2005, 02:55 AM
I have luckily never been on a huge downswing, but im sure the day will come soon enough. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

iggy
08-04-2005, 03:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have luckily never been on a huge downswing, but im sure the day will come soon enough. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't worry, it will.

And it will get better too. Had the roughest two week streak of my life at the end of last month, lost half my roll.

Of course times like this past monday's 50 SNG's at 88% ROI start to make everything better.

lastchance
08-04-2005, 03:32 AM
Go to sleep. Play poker tomorrow. Win game. Be happy.

Scuba Chuck
08-04-2005, 03:34 AM
It's "Fish Week" on party poker. If I'm ahead 3:1 or better, I only win 25% of the time. I was down ~53 buyins about 10 days ago. Came back and made 75 buyins. I went down 30 buyins within the last 24 hours (just in one day!).

It's surprising to me how use to this I'm getting.

EricW
08-04-2005, 03:37 AM
I like reading these posts. It makes me feel better about the past 10 days I've had - basically just breaking even and being able to accurately predict which 3 or 4 outer will hit on the river.

It sucks. It makes me doubt if I have any skill at all. But seeing that the best players in this forum go through the same thing is extremely comforting.

SlackerMcFly
08-04-2005, 03:38 AM
I (sadly) am experiencing the dreaded "That which will not be named".

Therefore, I will not play any more tonight for fear that:
I will end up eating poop and stabbing a dude......

SlackerMcSlide

ilya
08-04-2005, 03:51 AM
I must admit this makes me feel all warm inside. Good to know someone is running worse than I am....

But seriously, good luck, I hope things turn around soon.

tigerite
08-04-2005, 04:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I like reading these posts. It makes me feel better about the past 10 days I've had - basically just breaking even and being able to accurately predict which 3 or 4 outer will hit on the river.

It sucks. It makes me doubt if I have any skill at all. But seeing that the best players in this forum go through the same thing is extremely comforting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh. I had the same last night. Was down 13 buy-ins at one point, pulled it back through a 1,2,2,2 finish in last 6 to end up "only" 3.5 buyins down. It was awful, AQ losing to A6 on the bubble, AJ to AT, A3 which I stop-and-go'd to KJ on a flop of AK3, AT to A9, JJ to 88 on a Qxx flop when he riverred his 8 (this from the flop), ahh.. it was ridiculous.

Plus the usual losing to some 2+2er who decided to push into my bb from sb when I had 4bb behind, which was an easy call with A4, with 35o and hitting a 5 on the river, and the usual crap, but failing almost every time to win a 40/60 myself..

adanthar
08-04-2005, 04:27 AM
Pfft, none of those are really bad beats. A bad beat is when T9o limp/calls your AA raise PF, then pushes a QQ8 flop when you bet 1/3 of your stack and backdoors a flush.

Also, playing the Stars 11r twice and finishing 31'st and 15'th out of 1200 something after ten hours of play pretty much sucks ass.

My month's not so fun, either. It'll get better, though, because they're still fish /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jman28
08-04-2005, 04:28 AM
I'm in the midst of a bad run. Not terrible.

For the last three days, I've dropped about 10-20 buyins, and then finished close to even for the day. These are about 10 hour days too.

All of the bad beats are emotionally draining. I spend most of my time fighting my emotions with logic.

I try to remember that variance is a great part of poker.

Here's what it does (and you probably know this):
-Makes bad players think they are winners.
-Makes the game fun for players who are playing casually
-Weeds out the pros from the non-pros

This last point is what I try to focus on the most. Many people have the ability to beat the games that we beat. I believe many people with little natural talent could eventually be taught to beat at least the lower level games.

Us being able to beat the games isn't special, is what I'm saying. But having felt the pain of a downswing, I'm confident that not nearly as many players can stay off tilt, play well, or even continue to play at all.

I still get mad everytime I take a real bad beat, but it's really silly. What are we getting mad at? Chance doing what it's supposed to?

Evaluate your play constantly. Make sure you stay on your A game. If you can do this, be proud of yourself, because not many can.

Never play to get even, especially above your stakes. Be properly bankrolled, and it'll all even out.

Good luck.

tigerite
08-04-2005, 05:15 AM
Yep, you're spot on there. I'm lucky in that I don't really tilt and can see it for what it is, just the 25% chance or what have you that I lose, and if I play enough times they'll even out. So I don't tilt, although I do sometimes get a bit mad about it when they make a simply awful call etc. But then again, I ask myself, would I have preferred they didn't call? Well, ok, other than on the bubble perhaps, but otherwise I want them to call. I can just forget about a hand very quickly so I'm quite lucky. Actually the thing I worry about most is that people will _think_ I'm tilting, so when I have to push the next hand with K high and 4bb or what not, I'm more likely to be called, when I really don't want to be!

Geordie Ramone
08-04-2005, 07:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Weeds out the pros from the non-pros

This last point is what I try to focus on the most. Many people have the ability to beat the games that we beat. I believe many people with little natural talent could eventually be taught to beat at least the lower level games.
Us being able to beat the games isn't special, is what I'm saying. But having felt the pain of a downswing, I'm confident that not nearly as many players can stay off tilt, play well, or even continue to play at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very well put. I began to feel a lot happier with my game when I realised the obvious, that is, to win a lot you will have to play a lot, and if you play a lot you are going to lose a lot. And if you cant deal with losing a lot, and keep playing you cant win.

cadillac1234
08-04-2005, 08:34 AM
Somebody posted yesterday PP is having problems with their RNG lately in that it keeps giving people with 3 outers those 3 outers.../images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I had the unHoly Trinity bust out on Sunday. QQ, KK, AA all cracked for bustouts in consecutive games.

samr
08-04-2005, 09:13 AM
Glad to know I'm not the only one running cold.

Took 16 coinflips (pair v overs or overs v pair) on/near the bubble yesterday in 28 SNGs, lost 15. The only one i won was with 22 in the SB when the BB was forced allin with T5o (post/fold).

Lost 15 buyins yesterday, but that's variance. Try to be overbankrolled for the limits you play at so that you don't feel it affect you as much. I still have 100+ buyins for the $10s, so a $150 downswing doesn't seem as much.

Freudian
08-04-2005, 09:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Try to be overbankrolled for the limits you play at so that you don't feel it affect you as much. I still have 100+ buyins for the $10s, so a $150 downswing doesn't seem as much.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't help. I have 500 buyins and still hate being down 30. Basically since you never expect to use all your money as bankroll in the first place your mental bankroll is 30-40.

1C5
08-04-2005, 09:32 AM
500? Isn't that extreme? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I only have 450. Will try for 50 more. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Freudian
08-04-2005, 09:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
500? Isn't that extreme? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I only have 450. Will try for 50 more. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I am trying to withdraw at a steady pace but it just keeps growing. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

1C5
08-04-2005, 09:38 AM
Bad problem to have.

Are you still in the 22s are have you moved to the 33s now?

Freudian
08-04-2005, 09:47 AM
Mostly in the $22s. I went a little crazy with 30+3 rebuy MTTs for a while so my SnG profits for a week or two was used to fill that hole.

I am a pussy though. Every time I decide to move up I hit a breakeven streak of 100 $22s and decide it is probably best to wait a little while.

45suited
08-04-2005, 10:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It doesn't help. I have 500 buyins and still hate being down 30. Basically since you never expect to use all your money as bankroll in the first place your mental bankroll is 30-40.

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy crap! Here I thought that I was out there keeping like 200 buy-ins in my account. But you're right, the mental bankroll starts to kick in regardless of the amount of buy-ins you have. I had a stretch of 200 games where I was down over 30 buy-ins and even though my B/R was healthy, it still weighed on my mind.

Of course the next 200 games more than made up for it (super heater) but you do begin to feel like you'll never ITM again during those streaks.

I can't imagine how bad it must be for the people that move up with only 40 buy-ins or whatever. I think I'd be playing with scared money. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

PiNPOiNT3K
08-04-2005, 10:49 AM
I started playing 6 buckers, and once i had 20 buyin's for the 11's i moved up, and then once i had 20 buyins again for the 20's i've moved up. I'm working my way up the 20's but it slow cause im only playing one table at a time, but once i hit 30 buy ins for the 33's ill move up. However, i notice that i start to feel the pain of a down swing after only losing 3 sng's in a row. HAHAHA, i know what your all thinking (you've seen nothing yet), however, im fully prepared to drop down levels if i hit the 20x buyin mark for the lower level. Can't wait for that first 30 buyin down swing eventually

benza13
08-04-2005, 11:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I started playing 6 buckers, and once i had 20 buyin's for the 11's i moved up, and then once i had 20 buyins again for the 20's i've moved up. I'm working my way up the 20's but it slow cause im only playing one table at a time, but once i hit 30 buy ins for the 33's ill move up. However, i notice that i start to feel the pain of a down swing after only losing 3 sng's in a row. HAHAHA, i know what your all thinking (you've seen nothing yet), however, im fully prepared to drop down levels if i hit the 20x buyin mark for the lower level. Can't wait for that first 30 buyin down swing eventually

[/ QUOTE ]

DON'T DON'T DON'T play the 6's. Switch to another site and play 5.50's, play under bankrolled for the 11s, but don't play the 6's. There is no reason on earth to pay a 20% vig on each tourney. Even if you have good stats, they could be much better playing somewhere else with .50 less in vig for each game.

Nottom
08-04-2005, 10:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Try to be overbankrolled for the limits you play at so that you don't feel it affect you as much. I still have 100+ buyins for the $10s, so a $150 downswing doesn't seem as much.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Prolly a good thing I decided 30 Buyins wasn't enough a couple months ago.

microbet
08-04-2005, 10:13 PM
Yep. The extra part of my $55s bankroll is really part of my $109 bankroll already, which is really part of my $215 bankroll, which is really part of my $1065 bankroll, which is really part of my Ferrari.

curtains
08-04-2005, 10:15 PM
Im only person that thinks playing the 6's is fine? I think that if you are trying to learn to improve for the higher levels, then who gives a crap about the vig, you arent playing for maximum profit yet and okay, you should still be able to win. The $6's are mainly for training purposes IMO. If you are trying to make a living playing $5 sit and gos however and have no intention of moving up, you should then play on Pokerstars.

skierdude1000
08-04-2005, 10:25 PM
Hold in there guys, I just lost 25% of my roll playing $5 SNGs, but then flew up 40% of my original roll, so now up 15%.... was scary as hell though. Stick with it.

hmohnphd
08-04-2005, 10:49 PM
Please put "Low content" or "No content" in title in the future.

HighestCard
08-04-2005, 11:05 PM
Thanks man, thats what I needed to read after my 25 buy in downsizing. I feel I can get back on my A game now. Can't wait for friday night...

cmstaab
08-04-2005, 11:06 PM
I have a related question for the SnG vets of the board...

I mainly play limit and am just now making a foray into SnG's, but I was under the impression that the variance in SNG's was less than other forms of poker such as limit, but everyone makes a 30 buy-in downswing seem relatively common?

Would a 30 buy-in downswing relate closely in proportion to a 300 BB downswing in limit?

Thanks in advance for any help.

psyduck
08-05-2005, 12:50 AM
I dropped 20 buy-ins today. Yeah, 20 buy-ins in a single day over 50 SNGs.

Nottom
08-05-2005, 01:06 AM
MY best one day drop included 16 straight OTMs. Some how I managed to bounce back and post a winning day over 30 SNGs

Nottom
08-05-2005, 03:50 AM
Just [censored] kill me now.

Down 44 Buyins now. Ended the day with a nice 1 for 21 streak.

Jman28
08-05-2005, 03:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you playing well? It's gotta be really tough to stay off tilt during a streak like this, and I wouldn't be suprised if you are no longer playing optimally.

lastsamurai
08-05-2005, 04:07 AM
you should take a day off or play a different limit. When i go on tilt i usually hit the ps2 madden.

Nottom
08-05-2005, 04:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you playing well? It's gotta be really tough to stay off tilt during a streak like this, and I wouldn't be suprised if you are no longer playing optimally.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't have a clue anymore. I feel like i'm playing ok. I usually try and quit/take a break when I sence that I'm playing bad.

Jman28
08-05-2005, 04:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't have a clue anymore. I feel like i'm playing ok. I usually try and quit/take a break when I sence that I'm playing bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check your hands on SNGPT and post a few. If you don't have SNGPT, get it.

If you're truly playing well, and aren't spiraling into a terrible depression, they keep on playin.

tigerite
08-05-2005, 04:35 AM
You need a new luckbox. I'm not sure what the hell I was doing here, really.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

SB (t2830)
Hero (t695)
UTG (t1380)
Button (t3095)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t400</font>, Hero calls t200.

Flop: (t800) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t200</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t295 (All-In)</font>, SB calls t95.

Turn: (t1390) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t1390) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t1390

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
SB has Qs Qc (one pair, queens).
Hero has 4c Jd (two pair, jacks and fours).
Outcome: Hero wins t1390. </font>

eastbay
08-05-2005, 04:43 AM
I strongly suspect you are playing like dookie. You might want to take a step back and do some review before moving on.

eastbay

Nottom
08-05-2005, 04:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I strongly suspect you are playing like dookie. You might want to take a step back and do some review before moving on.

eastbay

[/ QUOTE ]

Its entirely possible. I'm really not very good at this game even when I'm playing well.

Scuba Chuck
08-05-2005, 06:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you are trying to make a living playing $5 sit and gos however and have no intention of moving up, you should then play on Pokerstars.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm really not sure if this is good advice. Do you see why?