PDA

View Full Version : 99s are killing me

DaNoob
03-13-2003, 05:28 PM
Setting: 1 Table, $5 NL Holdem game at PokerStars. Play is slightly more aggressive than I'm used to for the tourneys, but not outrageous, and people seem to have the cards (not bluffing). 1500 chips to start.

Game 1 (Mr. Hyde): 7 ppl left - 30/60 stakes. I've got ~2100 chips, which puts me in 2nd at the table, sitting MP. I get dealt 99. UTG calls, +1 folds, I limp in, next guy raises 180. He has been playing somewhat tight, so this gets my attention. Button folds, SB calls, everyone folds to me. I fold.

Did I play the pocket 9s too meekly?

Game 2 (Dr. Jekyll): It's about 20 hands later and we're now down to 6 players. My stack has slowly dwindled, as I've been dealt pretty crappy cards as far back as I can remember. I'm obviously itchin for some action (prob very foolish attitude). I'm in MP and get dealt pocket 9s again. This time, feeling more confident about them, especially after my previous experience. UTG calls $100, +1 folds, I raise All-In. It folds to BB, who calls, and then UTG calls also. After my meek performance on the 1st hand, did I overdo it on this one?

I'll share the results after some initial feedback. I don't want to skew any judgements.

Also, if I've left off important details, let me know and I'll fill in the blanks. Thanks!!

DaNoob
03-13-2003, 06:00 PM
Results:

Game 1: SB beats OR with AQ in the hole and KT925 (rainbow) on the board. OR mucks. My 9s would have reigned supreme.

Game 2: Showdown: BB turns over AKo and UTG turns over AQ. I don't know whether to be scared or thankful that noone has a higher pocket pair.

Flop is: 2 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 2 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 10 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif
Turn: 10 /forums/images/icons/club.gif
River: Q /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif

I lose almost all my stack and UTG guarantees himself some cash (for all practical purposes, at least). I scratch my head and wonder if I'm a complete idiot.

Next hand, I've got 300 in chips, I get dealt 99 again!! Will the torture never end?

Nottom
03-13-2003, 06:46 PM
I would definately at least have called in the first case ... you would have hit your set on the flop and prolly won a lot of chips, if you don't get a 9 you can safely fold to a bet with the overcards on the board.

In the second case, I think you played it fine. You should have been very happy to see those hands as you were the favorite to win when everyone shows their cards, especially since they share the Ace. There are 8 cards in the deck that beat you and you are looking to triple up if they don't come.

Also, you should probably post these to the No Limit or Tournament forums since they really don't belong on the small-stakes area

DaNoob
03-13-2003, 07:10 PM
Erm, yes, That would make the most sense. I'll post it there and see what comes up. Thanks for the heads up.

DaNoob
03-13-2003, 07:17 PM
My only question though, is how to decide whether or not to bite on these large pre-flop bets, especially in the early stages of a tourney. Or, would the proper move here be a reraise?

Ed Miller
03-13-2003, 08:04 PM
You should present this question to the tournament forum, not the small-stakes forum. The people who frequent that forum will be able to more knowledgably answer you question.