PDA

View Full Version : taking a semi decent hit

technologic
08-04-2005, 01:52 AM
around a half year ago, my bankroll was decimated so greatly (lost 10 buy ins) that i had to drop two levels from what i was playing because of two bad nights.

nowadays, i'm doing fine for what i play, but recently in one night i've lost a little over 3 buy ins, which is not a disaster by any means of the word. however, although i have had nights when i've made 3 buy ins, i feel like losing greatly hurts my confidence level more than winning helps it . i just am kicking myself over stupid plays that i made which may not be so bad and may feel a little off.

when i was on the losing session, i couldn't quit until the games finally started to breakup. i feel like i knew i was sort of on tilt (with the mentality of playing till i got back to even or better) but i just couldn't bring myself to leave voluntarily on a bad note.

a couple of questions.

how do you just quit when you believe that you have an edge, but you know the game isn't that good (ie bad game selection)?

and

what do you think is the best way to get back on track after a decent hit to your bankroll? moving down a limit and regaining confidence? or just riding it out until the variance works out? (i have the bankroll to continue playing, and i feel i have an edge over the game, i just feel meh after yesterday)

octop
08-04-2005, 06:22 AM
It depends on how well bankrolled you are and how you handle swings emotionally
I play 3 or 4 tables of NL (75% 1/2 200 and the rest 2/4 400)
I am well bankrolled and when I'm done for the night it rarely bothers me much if Ive hit a bad run
The players I play with are crazy wild chasers so there are at times wild swings
My worst downswing until last week was 7 buy ins and I had only had 2 or 3 really bad runs this year
This last two weeks have been tough
I broke even the first few days then lost 800 the rest of the first week
On monday I was down as much as 1200, went to bed down 900 and did my usual thing on tuesday, with better results,winning 1500
Today I started out getting shitpelted and was down 800 ( the first 350 due to my donkish play which was the first time I had lost a lot in these 2 weeks by playing badly)
Now Ive basically gotten back to even for the week

Swings are part of poker and noone wants to hear my bad beat stories. Other than the 350 I lost this morning donking it up ( we all make mistakes I deserved to lose every penny of it) I am playing the same exact way I always have

Depending on your style ( I am very tight but very agressive when I hit the flop) and your opponents style (lose gutshot chasing ATM machines) your swings may be different from mine
However 3 buy ins does not seem like much to me
The other night I had aces all in preflop twice and lost both (once a 3way with Kings and King 10- Kings flushed) 2 sets to flush chasers who I got all in with on the flop and a flopped straight losing to a rivered boat. I am not saying these things to cry about my hand I am merely pointing of that when everything goes wrong swings can be tough to take.

My background before poker was card counting in blackjack. Those swings make poker swings feel like a good blowjob. I am way past the stage where swings phase me.

bkholdem
08-04-2005, 08:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]

nowadays, i'm doing fine for what i play, but recently in one night i've lost a little over 3 buy ins, which is not a disaster by any means of the word. however, although i have had nights when i've made 3 buy ins, i feel like losing greatly hurts my confidence level more than winning helps it .

***Awareness is good. You have identified a problem, and hense a leak, in your game (and an extremely common one, but a leak none the less). I know that when I lose, particularly if it is because I make a bad play, my mood is affected. My mental focus is also affected. So I am off my A game right there.

i just am kicking myself over stupid plays that i made which may not be so bad and may feel a little off.

***Kicking yourself over stupid plays is better than rationalzing them, but not as good as analysing them (and the conditions that lead up to them!) and implementing corrective measures to get yourself back on track.

when i was on the losing session, i couldn't quit until the games finally started to breakup. i feel like i knew i was sort of on tilt (with the mentality of playing till i got back to even or better) but i just couldn't bring myself to leave voluntarily on a bad note.

***Recognizing you are on tilt is a start. (assuming you don't have a good edge while on tilt): Taking a break is better. Actively monitoring your mental/emotional status while playing and taking a break sooner in the future when this happens is better still. Preparing yourself prior to play and testing out strategies to get off tilt mode so you can shorten break periods...and eventually nip this tilt in the bud so you don't have to break is better still.

a couple of questions.

how do you just quit when you believe that you have an edge, but you know the game isn't that good (ie bad game selection)?

***I don't see how this question relates to the problem you described.

and

what do you think is the best way to get back on track after a decent hit to your bankroll? moving down a limit and regaining confidence?

***Sounds like a reasonable idea to test out. Everyone is different. Find out what works for you.

or just riding it out until the variance works out? (i have the bankroll to continue playing, and i feel i have an edge over the game, i just feel meh after yesterday)

[/ QUOTE ]

***Are you on your A game, or are you somewhat preoccupied with the fact that your bankroll has suffered? I don't think both can exist for you at the same time.

***Has your 'edge' decreased because you are mentally/emotionally affected by your recent losses? If so, by how much? And most importantly: Do you still actually have an 'edge' given the fact that you are somewhat mentally/emotionally beat down at the moment?