PDA

View Full Version : playing middle pairs out of position in a raised pot

muckyouraces
08-04-2005, 01:09 AM
It is a $5-10 NL game. the game is fairly tight and aggressive (most pots are raised). I have 8 8 in the big blind. 2 players limp and the MP player makes it $30. the button calls, SB calls, I call, and the other limpers call (6 total players) and $180 in the pot. The flop comes 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
What is my best play? and if I should bet, how much should I bet. If I get called, should I check the rest of the way being out of position? These are the toughest situations I find in NL. I don't like to bet into a coinflip situation (if someone had K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif), but I don't like to check and give J /images/graemlins/club.gif Q /images/graemlins/club.gif a free card. Thoughts are appreciated. thanks

LethalRose
08-04-2005, 01:17 AM
id pot it and try to take it down there. If called take a WB line vs default opponent.

chuddo
08-04-2005, 01:32 AM
stack sizes are a bit important when posting hands.

as for this hand, with 6 people going to the flop, it seems hard to end up playing a small pot heads-up or 3-way to the turn. so you will probably end up playing a medium-to-biggish pot unless everyone completely whiffed. if you play a big pot, not only are you holding a moderate hand, but you are out of position.

i am not a fan of potting it here, already knowing there is a good chance i am going to muck it if raised.

there is no shame in playing a hand like this fairly weak-passive with 6 to the flop and checking.

you may have some well-defined actions behind you take place and you can happily muck your hand that is likely no good.

or you may see the flop checked to the MP-raiser and he may make a continuation bet, have it folded to you, and you may opt to check-raise to take it down, or call and make a turn decision.

as for this particular hand i can't really credit MP for any real mitt in this spot raising just 20 more after two limpers.

08-04-2005, 03:41 AM
check, with that many players in theres really nothing your ahead. if you lead 1/3-pot there's really nothing good coming from a call. only nice thing about multi way pots like this is everyone but wackyos definds their hand nicely. But your too weak to make any moves here as nearly everything on the turn your ahead is a scare card inless it improves thier hand. call a smallish bet hoping to spike an non d 8?

fimbulwinter
08-04-2005, 04:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It is a $5-10 NL game. the game is fairly tight and aggressive (most pots are raised). I have 8 8 in the big blind. 2 players limp and the MP player makes it $30. the button calls, SB calls, I call, and the other limpers call (6 total players) and $180 in the pot. The flop comes 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
What is my best play? and if I should bet, how much should I bet. If I get called, should I check the rest of the way being out of position? These are the toughest situations I find in NL. I don't like to bet into a coinflip situation (if someone had K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif), but I don't like to check and give J /images/graemlins/club.gif Q /images/graemlins/club.gif a free card. Thoughts are appreciated. thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

6 way this hand is for sets and sets only. HU gets more interesting.

fim

pofi
08-04-2005, 08:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
id pot it and try to take it down there. If called take a WB line vs default opponent.

[/ QUOTE ]
What mean WB line?