PDA

View Full Version : Pokerstars moving to Europe

Kevmath
08-04-2005, 12:31 AM
Article can be found right here. (http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,9070-1718638,00.html)

Kevin...

ClaytonN
08-04-2005, 12:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The group, which is controlled by the Scheinberg family of Israel, becomes one of several gambling companies eyeing a possible London listing alongside Coral Eurobet, Gala Group, Betfair, Cassava Enterprises and Trident Gaming.

[/ QUOTE ]

doppler
08-04-2005, 01:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
PokerStars, which is currently based in Costa Rica, has secured a licence from the Isle of Man Government and plans to move to the island later this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn´t they have moved to somewhere within the union?

Oh well, there are other sites to play at.

Kevmath
08-04-2005, 01:30 AM
I'm sure it's for the same reason Party's in Gibraltar, taxes.

doppler
08-04-2005, 01:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure it's for the same reason Party's in Gibraltar, taxes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably, but it´s unfortunate for us swedes. Winnings from sites based within the EU are tax free while winnings from sites outside the EU are not.

I´m not 100% sure, but I think Isle of Man is not considered to be in the EU while Gibraltar is.

redsimon
08-04-2005, 02:53 AM
I understood that the IoM was in the EU single market but not a member state as its one of those curious "dependencies" of the British Crown which isn't seen as part of the UK but isn't a seperate nation state either. It certainly has some relationship with the EU economically. So you might be OK in Sweden.

oreogod
08-04-2005, 06:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The group, which is controlled by the Scheinberg family of Israel, becomes one of several gambling companies eyeing a possible London listing alongside Coral Eurobet, Gala Group, Betfair, Cassava Enterprises and Trident Gaming.

[/ QUOTE ]

Freudian
08-04-2005, 09:59 AM
With the tax rules being what they are, there is no reason for a card room to be based outside Europe. The north americans are not affected at all, while Pokerstars will go from being taxed to being taxfree for most europeans.

Kevmath
08-04-2005, 10:19 AM
According to this article (http://www.pokernews.com/news/2005/06/poker-stars-makes-move.htm) from a little over a month ago, there's some other reasons as well.

zerosum
08-04-2005, 10:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

zerosum
08-04-2005, 10:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

TemetNosce
08-04-2005, 11:45 AM
I'm not anti-semitic by any means, but that was funny as hell! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

maryfield48
08-04-2005, 12:30 PM
A little OT, but I followed a link off OP's link to a story about a Catholic fund that invested in the Party IPO, contrary to its own investment policy:

[ QUOTE ]
The Secular Clergy Common Fund, a charity for ill and infirm Roman Catholic priests, bought shares in the internet poker group despite an ethical investment policy banning it from buying shares in gambling companies.

HSBC, which manages the charity’s investments, bought 22,403 shares on behalf of the the fund.

This weekend, Michael O’Shea, who runs the charity, described the investment as an “error of judgment”. He added: “As a Catholic charity, we can’t be seen to be involved (with Party Gaming). It’s not ethical is it, really? It was only for such a short time. We pulled out very quickly.”

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't help wondering if they'd have pulled out had they been underwater.

sammy_g
08-04-2005, 12:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not anti-semitic by any means, but that was funny as hell! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
No, it really isn't.

BruinEric
08-04-2005, 12:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No, it really isn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

OOT-level content continues to spread to the Internet Gambling forum.

jmrogers7
08-04-2005, 01:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that made me laugh!

ClaytonN
08-04-2005, 01:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No, it really isn't.

[/ QUOTE ]
You mean oreo's post and not my image, right? I didn't mean to come off as anti-semetic.

theblitz
08-04-2005, 01:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No, it really isn't.

[/ QUOTE ]
You mean oreo's post and not my image, right? I didn't mean to come off as anti-semetic.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, as Israeli AND a Jew, I can say the the picture was a bit offensive but I accept that it wasn't meant to be.

However, the comment by oreo was totally out of place.

Edit - The problem with the picture was the Star-Of-David on the hat. The fact that it is yellow is especially bad. Reminds people of the star Jews had to where during Nazi time.
I know it wasn't intended - just the way it came out.

ds914
08-04-2005, 01:42 PM
I interviewed with Stars for a job a little more than a year ago. They had mentioned their desire to move to Europe. Glad to see if finally taking place.

I wonder if Lee will be staying back in the US.

theblitz
08-04-2005, 01:49 PM
I think the main reason that the poker sites are moving to Europe is for customer trust.

I would much rather play on a site that is in Gibraltar or the Isle-of-Man than I would on one that is based in an Indian reservation in Northern Canada (no offence intended).

They are also getting amazing tax deals.

sammy_g
08-04-2005, 03:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I understand you were only joking, so I'm not offended. I thought oreo's comments were a little out of line, but, eh, what are you going to do? I guess when the joke is about you (I'm Jewish), it's not as funny.

BruinEric
08-04-2005, 04:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I understand you were only joking, so I'm not offended. I thought oreo's comments were a little out of line, but, eh, what are you going to do? I guess when the joke is about you (I'm Jewish), it's not as funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't OOT. I just don't find the caricature, nor the subsequent jab as appropriate content for this forum. But it's not my property, so I don't make those decisions.

Since they've let these posts stand, I'm sure if someone comes here and puts does a similar paintshop job with say, Paul Darden or Mimi Tran it will also be acceptable to the mods.

At the least, I suggest that such claptrap stay in OOT.

I am not Jewish. I'm not personally offended. But I'm a crank petitioning for higher standards outside the OOT forum.