PDA

View Full Version : Atari 2600....

kerssens
08-03-2005, 11:15 PM
...does it get any better? Missile Command, Frogger, Q-Bert, River Raid, Pitfall, Ms. Pacman, ET, Combat, Baseball, Basketball, Football, Chess, Asteroids, I could go on all night.

moondogg
08-03-2005, 11:17 PM
I think the 8-bit Nintendo edges it out as the greatest gaming system ever, but it's pretty damn close.

The x-dream-station-64s of the last 10 years are trash.

Edit: Oh Christ, I forgot about ET. Nice call.

kerssens
08-03-2005, 11:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the 8-bit Nintendo edges it out as the greatest gaming system ever, but it's pretty damn close.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did Nintendo have Space Invaders? Also, Atari did not come up with the Power Glove, a feather in their cap if you ask me.

Vince Young
08-03-2005, 11:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Er, no.

tbach24
08-03-2005, 11:32 PM
If by "trash" you mean the best systems. N64 = the best.

moondogg
08-03-2005, 11:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Er, no.

[/ QUOTE ]

Elaboration: These systems have become an overdone combination of fancy-ass graphics, virtual reality, and dumb-ass story lines.

The art of creating a video game is dead, and I blame Sega Genesis for starting decline.

That being said, Sega's Taz-mania was one fantastic game, in it's own patheticly exploitive kinda way.

moondogg
08-03-2005, 11:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're 12 or something like that, right? You missed out on a lot of stuff relevant to the argument.

kerssens
08-03-2005, 11:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm....N64 did NOT have Adventure.

tbach24
08-03-2005, 11:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It launched the Tony Hawk series and 1080 Snowboarding, had a ton of great Mario games, and some awesome sports games (Ken Griffey, Blitz). Also, although I hate Zelda, it had some awesome Zelda games I've heard. Best system.

Dynasty
08-03-2005, 11:42 PM
You are all wrong.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/DynastyPoker/C100_small.jpg

kerssens
08-03-2005, 11:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It launched the Tony Hawk series and 1080 Snowboarding, had a ton of great Mario games, and some awesome sports games (Ken Griffey, Blitz). Also, although I hate Zelda, it had some awesome Zelda games I've heard. Best system.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes yes, those games were good....but they couldn't hold a candle to Gunslinger, Haunted House, Kaboom, and Keystone Kapers...

moondogg
08-03-2005, 11:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes yes, those games were good....but they couldn't hold a candle to Gunslinger, Haunted House, Kaboom, and Keystone Kapers...

[/ QUOTE ]

Tony Hawk makes Big Steve the queen look like a big Steve McQueen.

kerssens
08-03-2005, 11:50 PM
I almost forgot...Spider Man was the best game ever !

Hamish McBagpipe
08-04-2005, 12:00 AM
Does it get any better? Sure, here....

http://www.intellivisionlives.com/bluesky/games/overlays/action/seabattleO.jpg

Intellivision was the best. I had more fun playing sea battle with its proto-graphics than any new game that looks like the real goddamn thing. Also, B-17 Bomber with the voice thing was great. B-17 Booooooooooommmmmmmmbbbbbbbber!

kerssens
08-04-2005, 12:05 AM
Apples and different kind of apples.

ThaSaltCracka
08-04-2005, 12:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
N64 = the best.

[/ QUOTE ]no.

CrazyEyez
08-04-2005, 12:19 AM
Pitfall II was badass.

Phoenix1010
08-04-2005, 12:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
ET,

[/ QUOTE ]

This is widely considered to be the worst video game of all time. I remember reading an article that said that millions of unsold copies had to be buried in a landfill.

kerssens
08-04-2005, 12:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ET,

[/ QUOTE ]

This is widely considered to be the worst video game of all time. I remember reading an article that said that millions of unsold copies had to be buried in a landfill.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably now, but I was 5 at the time and have fond memories of it, even though I can't picture it at all.

astroglide
08-04-2005, 12:24 AM
i'd easily take a nes or c64 over it for classic gaming

Phoenix1010
08-04-2005, 12:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Tony Hawk series started on the Playstation. 1080 Snowboarding isn't even the best of the 5 or 6 snowboarding games out there, and Blitz was a multiplatform title. There was only one true Mario game on the system, although it was great. The Zelda games were great as well, but since you hate Zelda, your opinion on games is invalidated. The N64 wasn't even the best system of it's generation. Basically, your post and opinion was 100% wrong.

kerssens
08-04-2005, 12:31 AM
The only thing that I'll say for N64 is Bond.

Hamish McBagpipe
08-04-2005, 12:38 AM
Post deleted by Hamish McBagpipe

kerssens
08-04-2005, 12:40 AM
I knew the Colecovision was gonna be brought out! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

btw...Smurfs is also on the 2600, I vaguely remember the theme song and bouncing around the screen, Gargamel was a tough foe.

Soul Daddy
08-04-2005, 12:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ET,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably now, but I was 5 at the time and have fond memories of it, even though I can't picture it at all.

[/ QUOTE ]
http://www.classicgaming.com/rotw/et2.gif

I also remember it fondly. Unlike the Pac-Man port.

Phoenix1010
08-04-2005, 12:48 AM
Colecovision was my first video game system. Back when I was 3 years old, I ruled Pong with an iron fist. I also played Donkey Kong obsessively. I blame Donkey Kong for the tens of thousands of hours I've lost to video games over the last two decades. I would have cured cancer by now otherwise.

Hamish McBagpipe
08-04-2005, 01:12 AM
How can you say that something that uses the unique in all gaming history controller like this is the same as the 2600?

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/6775/intellivision18qy.jpg

Also, the next year I saved my paper route money and bought a colecovision. This was a huge leap forward! Donkey Kong, Zaxxon and others were WAY better than anything that had come before. Check out this Smurfs game for Colecovision....lol.

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/227/smurfrescueingargamelscastle2g.gif

Awesome.

daryn
08-04-2005, 01:26 AM
whoa, i remember that smurfs game big time. awesome

Hamish McBagpipe
08-04-2005, 01:46 AM
http://www.tomheroes.com/images/intellivision.JPG

imported_anacardo
08-04-2005, 02:09 AM
OMG.

The Smurfs.

The George Plimpton ad.

The Super Action Controller with like 20 buttons.

IT'S ONLY ROCK AND [censored]' ROOOOOOOOLL

I learned to read solely for the purpose of deciphering the instructions to that tank game with the rotating turret.

Bless you, ColecoVision.

Hamish McBagpipe
08-04-2005, 02:47 AM
This was a good one for sure, the boxing game for Intellivision...you could choose out of like 6 different guys.

http://www.teamxbox.com/images/games/ss/787/1075314313.jpg

Looking at these vintage sites I remember that I had the roller control for colecovision and this [censored] thing as well to play a boxing game and baseball I think:

http://cpicchio.free.fr/musee/colecovision/super_controller.jpg

Intellivision Utopia, where you sit there and wait for the rain to come and water your crops, was a good one that has got to be Civ 3's granddaddy. That's enough of that. But anyone remember when they brought out so-called "adult" games for the 2600? I laughed when I saw this review from gamespy.com....

http://archive.gamespy.com/legacy/top10/lameleads/lame4.gif

[ QUOTE ]
"Adult" Atari 2600 games were pathetic, horrible things. But out of all these, the Knight from Knight on the Town was probably the lamest of them all, even beating out the naked General Custer from Custer's Revenge. This purple lump of dough with the flopping 6-pixel penis, goofy smile, birthday hat thing, and fat ass truly and utterly blew chunks. About the only good thing about Knight on the Town is that you'll probably laugh when the goldfish\dog\anteater bites the Knight's "special friend" off when he falls into the water.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bulldog
08-04-2005, 08:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i'd easily take a nes or c64 over it for classic gaming

[/ QUOTE ]

I pwned at 4th & Inches with my own version of the West Coast Offense before the West Coast Offense even existed. Screen pass, screen pass, screen pass! Unstoppable!

samjjones
08-04-2005, 09:14 AM
I think Intellivision far and away had the best sports titles of the early consoles. Intellivision baseball, football, boxing, and horse racing blew anything else away at the time. Colecovision thrived in the early ports of Nintendo arcade games, like Donkey Kong.

Miggo
08-04-2005, 09:20 AM
One thing you can use to judge how good a system was or is, is if you buy the system because there is a game you want to play. Anyone can buy a system and then find a game to play, but if you know a game you want, and then buy the system because of one game, that's a good game.

One word ... Burgertime.

junkmail3
08-04-2005, 10:29 AM
Sea Battle rocked! I loved that game. Intellevision was great.

http://intvfunhouse.com/intvcorp/box/body-000.jpg

http://intvfunhouse.com/intvcorp/games/body-03.png

Ohhhh ....... Sheeeeiiiik!!!!

Hamish McBagpipe
08-04-2005, 10:52 AM
Hahahaha! The funniest. I forgot that one. Great game.

Another I forgot is Venture for Colecovision where you are a happy face going from room to room shooting arrows seemingly out of your head.

I think I still have the callouses from using that ridiculous Intellivision controller.

Paluka
08-04-2005, 10:55 AM
God I love River Raid.

Indiana
08-04-2005, 10:57 AM
Two words, "Donkey Kong!"

Indy

Wintermute
08-04-2005, 11:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
...does it get any better? Missile Command, Frogger, Q-Bert, River Raid, Pitfall, Ms. Pacman, ET, Combat, Baseball, Basketball, Football, Chess, Asteroids, I could go on all night.

[/ QUOTE ]

Berzerk, Dig-Dug, Atlantis, Tank Command, Donkey Kong, Submarine

KJS
08-04-2005, 03:29 PM
Kaboom! Must be mentioned.

KJS

jedi
08-04-2005, 03:40 PM
I'm going onto eBay right now to see if I can buy an old-school intellivision. Hope it still works.

Los Feliz Slim
08-04-2005, 03:50 PM
http://cpicchio.free.fr/musee/colecovision/super_controller.jpg

Ahhhh...the Super-Action controller, I remember it well. Used it for baseball.

Best Atari game was Pitfall, and the only way to play was going backwards.

ddubois
08-04-2005, 04:19 PM
Yes, when you put those two screen shtos next to each other, it looks very damning. "OMG, the graphics are so much better, it's no comparison!" Except the entire point/theme of this thread is that graphics are nothing but eye candy for idiots. The play of the game is the thing.

jedi
08-04-2005, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Er, no.

[/ QUOTE ]

Elaboration: These systems have become an overdone combination of fancy-ass graphics, virtual reality, and dumb-ass story lines.

The art of creating a video game is dead, and I blame Sega Genesis for starting decline.

That being said, Sega's Taz-mania was one fantastic game, in it's own patheticly exploitive kinda way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Systems <> Games. Newer systems rock, games suck.

Bad analogy is that people can't make any movies anymore, though special effects are way better now.

Turning Stone Pro
08-04-2005, 05:26 PM
The greatest video game of all time, bar none.

TSP

stabn
08-04-2005, 05:33 PM
I agree. I mean, ET! Now there was a game! It's too bad we don't make games as good as ET these days..

J.A.Sucker
08-04-2005, 05:45 PM
I knew we could agree on something.

Hamish McBagpipe
08-05-2005, 08:47 AM
I just ran across that ad and threw it out for fun. But the Intellivision sports games were certainly the best at the time. Like you said, the play is the thing, and I would say that even though Colecovision had way better graphics they weren't very fun games compared to Intellivision. But the 2600's only advantage was the sheer variety of games.