PDA

View Full Version : 5/10 Borgata NL hand - Tough Decision or Easy Fold?

08-03-2005, 10:51 PM
I haven't played with villain before, but he is a definite LAG. He's doing pretty well since the max buy-in is $1000 and he has a little less than $4000. I've only seen him win about $500 of that, mostly on a pot where he bluffed someone off AA with KT on a board of KA4JT. I have been playing fairly tightly, and so far I've raised four or five times post-flop in about one hour at the table and haven't been called yet or shown any other hand.

I am in cutoff with $1500 and A7 of spades. Two players limp, villain limps, I limp, button folds, SB completes, and BB checks. - $60 in pot

Flop comes:
8 /images/graemlins/club.gif10 /images/graemlins/spade.gifK /images/graemlins/spade.gif
4 players check, villain bets $40 (which he has been doing on pretty much on any flop that is checked to him). I raise to $200. Four players fold, villain calls ($460).

Turn is A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Villain checks, I bet $350 very confident that I am about to pick up the pot except... villain asks for a chip count and then thinks better of it and goes all-in. Exactly $2100 in pot and I have $940 left. Call or fold? Anyone like checking this turn? I really didn't want to give a free card to KQ or KJ.

creedofhubris
08-03-2005, 11:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I haven't played with villain before, but he is a definite LAG. He's doing pretty well since the max buy-in is $1000 and he has a little less than $4000. I've only seen him win about $500 of that, mostly on a pot where he bluffed someone off AA with KT on a board of KA4JT. I have been playing fairly tightly, and so far I've raised four or five times post-flop in about one hour at the table and haven't been called yet or shown any other hand.

I am in cutoff with $1500 and A7 of spades. Two players limp, villain limps, I limp, button folds, SB completes, and BB checks. - $60 in pot

Flop comes:
8 /images/graemlins/club.gif10 /images/graemlins/spade.gifK /images/graemlins/spade.gif
4 players check, villain bets $40 (which he has been doing on pretty much on any flop that is checked to him). I raise to $200. Four players fold, villain calls ($460).

Turn is A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Villain checks, I bet $350 very confident that I am about to pick up the pot except... villain asks for a chip count and then thinks better of it and goes all-in. Exactly $2100 in pot and I have $940 left. Call or fold? Anyone like checking this turn? I really didn't want to give a free card to KQ or KJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he weren't LAGgy this would be an easy fold.

Calling instantly will go a long way to stopping him from putting moves on you in the future.

Post-Oak
08-03-2005, 11:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Villain checks, I bet $350 very confident that I am about to pick up the pot

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you condfident you are about to pick up the pot? He called your pot sized raise on the flop.

[ QUOTE ]

Anyone like checking this turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I like checking the turn. Although he is a LAG, he has shown strength by calling your flop raise. Your hand already has some showdown value. By checking here, you assure yourself a free card. If he checks the river, your pair could be good. If he bets the river, you at least have enough of a hand to snap off a bluff (situation dependent whether you fold or call a river bet). And of course, you can hit the nuts on the river.

[ QUOTE ]

I really didn't want to give a free card to KQ or KJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on, you have the nut flush draw. He doesn't have many outs, even if he is holding those hands.

I think you have to fold this hand now, which really sucks. With one card to come, I can't see how you are getting pot odds here. Judging by the action and your stack size, I really don't think he is bluffing. He wants the rest of your stack.

MINETZ
08-03-2005, 11:40 PM
i agree with checking behind here if hes a lag, you can hit your flush for free or check/call with your aces if you think they are still good.
Noah

08-03-2005, 11:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why are you condfident you are about to pick up the pot? He called your pot sized raise on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just really felt he had a K, and not AK, KT, or K8 as he would have played those hands differently either pre-flop or on the flop. I thought KQ or KJ (or a smaller suited king) were his most likely hands and that he would fold either one to my turn bet.

[ QUOTE ]
Come on, you have the nut flush draw. He doesn't have many outs, even if he is holding those hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, he would have either 7 or 8 outs with KQ or KJ depending on whether he had a spade. That's more outs than I tend to like giving a free card to.

jrforman
08-04-2005, 01:41 AM
I don't understand why your so worried about giving a free card here. A fair amount of his outs are taken away b/c you have the nut flush draw. You have a one pair hand in a bloated pot, but you still have position on villain. Check behind on the turn and see what happens on the river. If river misses you, than most likely call a reasonable bet by villain and punish him if you hit your flush.

fimbulwinter
08-04-2005, 01:48 AM
raise the flop, check the turn, call a reasonable bet on the river with TP, raise (obviously) if you improve.

fim