PDA

View Full Version : Renting Sucks

McGahee
08-03-2005, 10:09 PM
I must have a 'Slumlord' magnent on my forehead.
My current landlord sucks, and I couldn't wait to get out of here. Found a nice apartment about 3 weeks ago to move in August 15th when my lease is up. Gave them my sec. dep., it already cashed, scheduled to sign lease & get keys tommorow. Tonight they call me and say: "Sorry, we got our wires crossed and already rented the place out. Hope it's not an inconvenience. We'll give you your check back though". Gee, really? That's just peachy [censored] creamy! Why would it be an inconvenience because I have NO PLACE TO LIVE IN A WEEK? I do work in a Legal Department with lawyers and maybe there are measures I can take, but even if there are, I don't want to be living under these kinds of selfish incompetent scumbag pieces of trash.
I hate life and I hope it hurts when these people die. That is all. Thank you for reading.

smb394
08-03-2005, 10:24 PM
That sucks man. Seems like it's really hit or miss. What part of Philly are you in?

I'm in Manayunk, FWIW.

RacersEdge
08-03-2005, 10:33 PM
Sounds like an implied contract there to me. Or something in landlord-tenant law.

It sounds like you shoud visit the Clark Howard website or even call the show.

McGahee
08-03-2005, 10:38 PM
No crap - I'm in Roxborough - was going to move right around the block at Terrace Street a block down from the 'Old Eagle' bar.

smb394
08-03-2005, 10:50 PM
Damn, that's close. I'm not sure, but I may technically be in Roxborough (Dexter St.)...though the walk to Main St. is 5 mins. My lease is up in November, and I'd like to move below Silverwood (e.g. down the monster hill).

moondogg
08-03-2005, 11:14 PM
You guys gotta get out the of the city and into the burbs. Just slide down Belmont to Bala Cynwyd. No goddamned wage tax.

IMHO.

smb394
08-03-2005, 11:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You guys gotta get out the of the city and into the burbs. Just slide down Belmont to Bala Cynwyd. No goddamned wage tax.

IMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]

My parents live 3 mins. outside the city, and so do I...technically /images/graemlins/wink.gif And I work in Oaks, so that's not an issue there.

moondogg
08-03-2005, 11:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

My parents live 3 mins. outside the city, and so do I...technically /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
OK, that's what's important. For a minute, I thought you were insane.
[ QUOTE ]
And I work in Oaks, so that's not an issue there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Philly hits you with one percentage if you live there, another if you work there, and some combined percentage if you do both.

smb394
08-03-2005, 11:35 PM
No, not insane on that count.

I believe the percentages are actually higher, something along the lines of 3-4% either way. Could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is the case.

Bala Cynwyd is pretty sweet, although I don't get over there very often.