PDA

View Full Version : The PokerStudent Blog (X-post)

Goodnews
08-03-2005, 05:30 PM
As we've all noted, there are many blogs by poker players detailnig their progress, and lately there have beemn a couple of blogs setup, a work in progress in going pro (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=singletable&Number=297 0887&Forum=,,,,All_Forums,,,,&Words=&Searchpage=3& Limit=25&Main=2970887&Search=true&where=&Name=3024 9&daterange=&newerval=&newertype=&olderval=&oldert ype=&bodyprev=#Post2970887) .

Some leisure reading in the Psychology forum also gave me some insight that alot of college/university students are giving it a go. I myslef fall under such demographic.

Noting that I have yet to see any blog that is about poker and the average student. I hope to take up space in this niche.

You can find my blog here. (http://www.livejournal.com/users/goodnews_/)

Apologies on the stupid journal name. It was too late when I realized how lame it is.

Some background information:

Born in the Philippines and raised in Mississauga Ontario Canada. My parents both being Filipino, are Roman Catholics and hold strongly onto religion. I myself am also Roman Catholic but growing up in this diverse environment have become a more liberal person.
----------------------------
I started playing poker about one and a half year ago. I quickly took too it because of the rush I felt simply gambling. However, like many of my personailty type, I have always gone to (sometimes great) lengths to prove I am above average and after hitting a level that I perceive to be above average I find something new. I suppose I just want to prove to myself, and to others, that I can excel if I chose to.

So like with poker, I played, played, played and then I found I was breaknig even at best and so I began to read. This realization came when I was already about two months into my first year at university.
------------------------------------------
Growing up an immigrant showed me that I could not have all the things I wanted handed to me and thus bred a competitive nature within me that is probably the single thing that pushes me forward, the need to feel superior.

I decided to go into engineering simply because it was the only university program that all my high school courses were prerequisites for. I never took biology.
------------------------------------------
I would like to thank 2+2 for helping me with my game tremendously. I also welcome all criticisms to my writing in terms of style and content, and my play. I thank all contributors in advance.

I will try to provide some content that involves a students' life (I will do my best to not add any dramatics) and not just poker.

08-03-2005, 06:22 PM
Kamustica. Ya dude I feel you on the personality type. I have always been ultra competitive and have many interests. Once I do above average I drop the interest and move on. It kind of sucks having a this type of personality because you never really "master" anything you are just better than most people. Kind of bittersweet.

Goodnews
08-04-2005, 06:58 AM
I believe that simply being aware of your own personality type, one can change conciously change it. It will jsut take alot of effort going against 'who you are'.

Salamat Pare.

08-04-2005, 07:12 AM
The greatest foe of the talented student is his own ego.
The greatest struggle is against the will to know, without learning.
His dearest friends are fear and insecurity.
Success is conquering your inner spirit and accepting your own mediocrity. To be,
who you do not wish to be.
To be yourself.

God save me before I win that fight.

Dont know if it makes any sense /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

08-04-2005, 11:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I decided to go into engineering simply because it was the only university program that all my high school courses were prerequisites for. I never took biology.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did the same thing for the same reason.

I like poker because of the gaming strategy and extreme self-discipline involved. As strategic as war, and requiring more discipline than kung fu. There's hidden honour in being a winning player.

mike4bmp
08-04-2005, 03:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Growing up an immigrant showed me that I could not have all the things I wanted handed to me and thus bred a competitive nature within me that is probably the single thing that pushes me forward, the need to feel superior.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if you are trying to say that you ended up compromising when you made the choice to go into the engineering program but I understand especially from a immigrant's perspective. I am considered a 1.5 generation Korean (inside community joke)and being a male there is a lot of expectations for me.

If it makes you feel any better I was a year away from applying to medical school...took my MCATs finished all of my premed courses (with decent grades) and was waiting to finish my BSW in Social Work...when all of sudden I dropped out of the program completely. I worked at a hospital for about a year and slowly found out that I could not stomach working in the US medical industry...poor budget planning...rude professionals...lack of compassion and the list goes on. So I quit...I simply will not do something just for the sake of doing it and so that I can have a "proper" career....

So now I am just working, playing poker and card counting....I will be going to film school this September...which I am extremely excited about....something that I've always had an interest in. Yeah I know it is a risky business in terms of finding employment...but hey wouldn't you call this a non-self weighting life decision?

I also recently started playing poker about a year ago and believe that I started the correct way...I am totally book learned and while my friends all laugh at me and tell me that I am wasting my time. I am confident that by watching the mistakes they make that I am a much more knowledgeable and skillful player than they will ever be.

Keep studying and good luck with poker and engineering school...in my opinion you engineering students are the brightest in Academia and I commend you on your effort dedication. Peace!
-Mike.....out

08-04-2005, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
in my opinion you engineering students are the brightest in Academia and I commend you on your effort dedication.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/wink.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif