PDA

View Full Version : Dubbed foreign movies

Sooga
08-03-2005, 05:26 PM
When you get a DVD of a foreign movie (in a foreign language), do you listen to the original language track with subtitles, or the dubbed English track? I found out yesterday that a couple of my friends watch the dubbed tracks and I was stunned. I always listen to the original track. Sure, you can't understand what the hell they're saying, but there's a certain emotion and tone that original tracks have that dubbed tracks rarely get right.

kerssens
08-03-2005, 05:28 PM
I would only listen to the dubbed version for the sake of comedy.

Brainwalter
08-03-2005, 05:39 PM
For Das Boot original. For Fists of Fury dubbed. Depends on the movie.

DasLeben
08-03-2005, 05:53 PM
Always original. I was in a group of people that were watching Run, Lola, Run dubbed, and I about puked.

RacersEdge
08-03-2005, 06:10 PM
I would probably not watch a movie with subtitles. I just find it very visually irritating.

gulebjorn
08-03-2005, 06:14 PM
You know they dub all american and english movies in France and Germany... /images/graemlins/confused.gif

swede123
08-03-2005, 06:22 PM
Always original track, of course. The cool thing about certain Euro countries, such as Sweden, is that they don't dub non-Swedish movies. Of course I still shudder when I think back to the time when Swedish cable bought the Simpsons and started showing it, dubbed to [censored] Swedish. Let me tell you, nothing ruins the comedy of the Simpsons more than Homer Simpson speaking Swedish.

Swede

Fabian
08-03-2005, 06:34 PM
Thank god that didn't last for too long.

Also, thank god we don't dub our movies.

Sooga
08-03-2005, 06:37 PM
Now that I think back, the only movie I didn't watch in its original audio track was 'Spirited Away', for two reasons: 1) it's animated, so there wouldn't be much lost in the transation, and 2) the dubbed voices were 'name' actors/actresses (Michael Chiklis, Lauren Holly, David Ogden Stiers, etc).

AsiaKurosawa
08-03-2005, 06:45 PM
I almost always watch subtitles, except for kungfu action flicks where I hate missing all the hard work the actors are doing when I scan the subtitles.

DasLeben
08-03-2005, 09:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Now that I think back, the only movie I didn't watch in its original audio track was 'Spirited Away', for two reasons: 1) it's animated, so there wouldn't be much lost in the transation, and 2) the dubbed voices were 'name' actors/actresses (Michael Chiklis, Lauren Holly, David Ogden Stiers, etc).

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, any kind of animated show/movie is fine, i.e. dubbed anime.

Nathan183
08-04-2005, 01:09 AM
I always watch with subtitles. I find that after a few minutes, I don't even have to think about reading and it feels the same as watching an English movie.

ChipWrecked
08-04-2005, 03:08 AM
Ahh, intelligent 2+2ers. Of course the original track.

As Choicest Hops can no doubt concur, there are places in the U.S. where this question would be met with, "I don't rent no foreign movies. Faggot."

whiskeytown
08-04-2005, 03:09 AM
if it's me, it's the foreign track with subtitles - I love the beauty of a foreign language.

If I have friends over, I cave to pressure and put on the english track (usually with Crouching Tiger/Hidden Dragon)

RB