PDA

View Full Version : Holes in your game - what have you learned

EnderFFX
08-03-2005, 03:39 PM
My observations at the $10 party skin tourneys.

1) If you have KK in the first level, and you raise, and there is a push, a push, and a push, fold, at least one person has AA.

2) Middle levels, don't limp unless you are trying to trap with AA.

3) Push/fold when you are under 10 BB, there are rarely any other options.

lorinda
08-03-2005, 03:45 PM
Although thinking #3 is correct will not lose you much EV, (In fact it will make most people money), it is a very dangerous way to be thinking as there are more than a few exceptions to the rule.

Lori

08-03-2005, 03:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
2) Middle levels, don't limp unless you are trying to trap with AA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Two things to note here.

1) Unless it is folded to you in the small blind and you expect BB to raise you if you complete, NEVER try to trap with AA, this will only get you into trouble. You never want more than one opponent preflop with AA since there is a much greater chance your Aces will get cracked with more than one opponent.

2) In the middle levels, limping isn't a bad idea with mid pocket pairs if you're playing them for set value. Flopping a set has huge implied odds, and limping gives you the opportunity to check/fold if you miss your set.

MisterW

MeanGreenTT
08-03-2005, 04:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Although thinking #3 is correct will not lose you much EV, (In fact it will make most people money), it is a very dangerous way to be thinking as there are more than a few exceptions to the rule.

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

Care to expand instead of leaving me (and others) "hanging" as my wife often does /images/graemlins/grin.gif

EnderFFX
08-03-2005, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

1) Unless it is folded to you in the small blind and you expect BB to raise you if you complete, NEVER try to trap with AA, this will only get you into trouble. You never want more than one opponent preflop with AA since there is a much greater chance your Aces will get cracked with more than one opponent.

[/ QUOTE ]

I normally do this in late position when I am the first to open. I should have specified.

[ QUOTE ]

2) In the middle levels, limping isn't a bad idea with mid pocket pairs if you're playing them for set value. Flopping a set has huge implied odds, and limping gives you the opportunity to check/fold if you miss your set.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you lose to many chips this way? Especially at the 25/50 and 50/100 levels at Party?

08-03-2005, 05:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you lose to many chips this way? Especially at the 25/50 and 50/100 levels at Party?

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of it depends on how many limpers are in the pot and your stack size, but generally at 25/50, I'll limp for set value with mid pocket pairs since I usually have a stack size in the 600 or 700s and there are enough limpers to build the pot to a desirable size if I hit my set, plus implied odds.

At 50/100, this is much more situational and dependant on how big my stack is. Usually there are fewer limpers to build the pot, so I will often fold pairs less than 77, limp with 88 and 99, and open raise with higher pairs.

I am interested to hear what others think of this.

MisterW

KingDan
08-03-2005, 05:37 PM
I started out way too passive from SB, not pushing anymore than I would push from button because 'he would know I am stealing.'