PDA

View Full Version : He loves the Ace

pufferfish
03-13-2003, 12:34 AM
LL, 10 handed, loose, relatively passive.

I'm in LMP with red 8's.

MP and I limp, CO raises. Blinds calls, as do MP and I. Five see the flop.

Flop: Jh Ah 8c

Checked to MP who bets, I call knowing the PFR will raise.
CO (PFR) raises, SB folds, BB calls, MP calls, I re-raise.
CO, BB and MP call.

Turn: Jh Ah 8c - 3d

Checked to me, I bet. CO calls, BB folds, MP calls.

River: Jh Ah 8c 3d - 2d

MP checks, I bet, CO and MP call.

Results to follow. Any comments would be appreciated.

JTG51
03-13-2003, 12:59 AM
Looks just fine to me.

If CO is giving off that "I've got AK" vibe and you are sure he'll bet the turn, I might just call his flop raise and check raise the turn sometimes. I like the way you chose to play it though.

travisand
03-13-2003, 01:21 AM
Now this hand poses some interesting problems.......wait, not it doesn't, you played it just fine. Aren't there some other hands from your session that you had a bigger problem with?

RockLobster
03-13-2003, 09:57 AM
Played beautifully. I know, I've been the victim of that play from people like you. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Seriously, looks great. What's the term for raising after a call? This does not exist in my arsenal. I'd like to add it, so I should know what it's called.

/forums/images/icons/grin.gif

CrackerZack
03-13-2003, 10:59 AM
well played.

his flop play was the limp-reraise (or is that only pre-flop? I call this limp-reraising also personally). Actually your position bemoans it a bit but this is seen often from an EP limper with a big flush draw. If you're opponents are aware of this, it probably got you the extra calls. Anyway, well played.

RockLobster
03-13-2003, 11:07 AM
I think there's a term for calling & reraising (besides ballsy). Anyone?

ZManODS
03-13-2003, 11:23 AM
"If CO is giving off that "I've got AK" vibe and you are sure he'll bet the turn, I might just call his flop raise and check raise the turn sometimes. I like the way you chose to play it though."

The problem with that is if CO was on a flush draw he might have been buying himself a free card. I think he played it fine. Plus if he waiting to the turn to raise and the 3rd flush card hits, he would have to think twice before raising.

Nicely played

Barry
03-13-2003, 12:22 PM
Well played.

I used that play for the first time "by accident". I had flopped a set, and had intended to wait until the turn to raise. When it was raised right behind me, with a few calls in between, what the heck, no need to slowplay anymore, so I reraised. Now I do look for occasions where it would be appropriate. This was a perfect spot.

I don't know if it has a name either, so I just call it "call/reraise"

RockLobster
03-13-2003, 12:40 PM
I don't know if it has a name either, so I just call it "call/reraise"

I think you guys are right, there isn't a name for it. I found the post that I was looking for, the one that I thought had a name for this, but it doesn't.

Let me suggest a name for call-reraising:
sack-raising

2 reasons:
- sack reminds me of sandbagging.
- it takes sack to pull it off.

Anyone?

Unrelated post (http://www.twoplustwo.com/forums/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=genpok&Number=218910&F orum=CatSearch-1&Words=call%20raise%20rare&Match=And&Searchpage=0 &Limit=25&Old=3months&Main=218892&Search=true#Post 218910)

RockLobster
03-13-2003, 12:49 PM
Let me suggest a name for call-reraising:
sack-raising

2 reasons:
- sack reminds me of sandbagging.
- it takes sack to pull it off.

- you'll need a sack to carry your money home.

pufferfish
03-13-2003, 01:30 PM
Thank you all for the comments, I appreciate it.

Final board: Jh Ah 8c 3d 2d

I showed red 8's for the set.
CO showed red K's.
MP showed A2 for two pair.

I had CO down as any Ace-any type, so I thought he had Ace-big.

MP was a little new to the table, but I'd seen him suck-out on one or two hands.

So I had it wrong, CO did not have one of his beloved Aces. Not sure why he stayed in the hand, guess he got a little potstuck.

pufferfish
03-13-2003, 01:32 PM
"sack-raising" sounds pretty good to me. .:-).

cero_z
03-13-2003, 02:17 PM

RockLobster
03-13-2003, 02:42 PM
Smooth calling (as I understand it) is calling with enough strength to raise, but never actually raising...

Allan
03-13-2003, 03:44 PM
Whelp, When you check and then raise it's called a check-raise. When you limp preflop then reraise a raise its called a limp-reraise. So why shouldn't it simply be called a call-reraise for a post flop situation that involves calling a bet then reraising a raisor?

Allan

RockLobster
03-13-2003, 03:48 PM
So why shouldn't it simply be called a call-reraise for a post flop situation?

Because it's such a cool play, it needs a better name /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Allan
03-13-2003, 03:55 PM
OK then how bout the RockLobster /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Imagine the posts........ I bet the turn and RockLobstered 6 loose players still in the pot who all called..........Should I CR here or try for a RL? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Allan

RockLobster
03-13-2003, 04:16 PM