PDA

View Full Version : Checking account recommendations?

Dazarath
08-03-2005, 03:00 PM
I've been using Wells Fargo for a few years, and after a couple incidents, I just got a bit annoyed. I decided to open an account at Washington Mutual because they don't charge a monthly fee. After trying to deposit a couple checks there, I realized that Wamu is even more annoying. I don't know if it's just the specific location I visited, but waiting in line for 30 minutes to deposit a check is worse than paying a few bucks a month. (It's probably -EV considering that I could be playing poker in that time.) For other people who use Wamu, do you run into the problem that the banks are always full of people?

This is what I'm looking for in a checking account:
- low (or no) monthly fees
- good customer service (including low wait times at a bank, this is probably more important than the fees)
- easy to use online banking
- I guess I'd like "no hidden fees" but I don't really know what that means. Do any banks charge for ACH transfers?
- ATM availability. I'm either in the bay area or LA area all year, so no banks that don't have branches there

I can't think of anything else at the moment, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

rmarotti
08-03-2005, 03:31 PM
Make deposits at the ATM.

MoreWineII
08-03-2005, 03:34 PM
I like Bank of America. I hate US Bank and, to a lesser degree, Wells Fargo. No opinion on Washington Mutual.

schwza
08-03-2005, 04:31 PM
usaa = the best.

The Stranger
08-03-2005, 06:53 PM
a credit union.

it has all the features you listed. As far as ATMs, you can use any co-op network (http://www.co-opnetwork.org/public/index.cfm) ATM for free for withdrawls, deposits, transfers, etc. Co-op network ATMs are fairly common in large cities. You can find locations on the website on from their 800 number.

My credit union even refunds all the other banks' ATM fees at the end of each month.