PDA

View Full Version : 1/2 NL -- when playing the board on the river

StoneRose
08-03-2005, 02:53 PM
1/2 NL -- 8 handed -- I've only played a few hands at this table but my read is that the players are fairly loose.

I have $200. Button has $100.

One limper and I limp in with A /images/graemlins/spade.gif 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

button calls and blinds call.

the flop is A /images/graemlins/club.gif 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

the first limper bets $2
i raise to $12
the button calls
the blinds and the original bettor fold.

The turn is the 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I bet $15 and the button calls.

the river is the 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Board is A /images/graemlins/club.gif, 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

So now there is a straight on the board. What is the proper theory here? Given the fact that he called my bets It seems likely he had an A-X or was trapping with a flopped or turned straight -- but it's unlikely he has a 6 for a better-than-the-board straight.

I'm fairly sure I'm splitting here, but he could have A-6.

Does it make sense to go all in here and try to bluff him off this pot?

If I check, it seems logical that he would assume that I don't have a 6, because why would I bet the whole way -- and then not try to extract some more money from him on a river he practically has to call? Therefore, it seems like his best move would be to go all in on the river and put me on the spot to call his $70 bet.

If I bet a small amount -- i would have to assume a typical player would call figuring its a likely split -- so i don't gain anything.

Is the best move to go all in?

elus2
08-03-2005, 03:28 PM
what hand with a 6 could you possibly play in this fashion?

StoneRose
08-03-2005, 03:33 PM
A-6 is the only real possibility (but a longshot). He would likely call an all in -- but I figure that there is some chance he folds for his last remaining $70 -- making it worth a shot.

The alternatives are me checking and having to call a bet and splitting. or checking down and splitting. (but I think that If I check he very likely bets).

MrTop
08-03-2005, 03:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If I bet a small amount -- i would have to assume a typical player would call figuring its a likely split -- so i don't gain anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a small bet here ~$15 is a good play. He probably doesn't have the 6, and if not, he probably won't come over the top. So you gain by him not pushing and basically forcing you to fold or make a really tough call. It really depends on the player.