PDA

View Full Version : ICM tell me to push. Is it so good here ?

Ryendal
08-03-2005, 02:49 PM
It's 6 or 7 handled. Blind 50/100. You are the button with 690 and hold A2s. You are covered by SB and BB.
I put them on a loose calling range like 44+,A3s+,A5o+,KJs+,KQo

The ICM give me an EV=+0,5%
We could considere that to be good for a push, no ?
But I am not so sure it's a good push.

I would appreciate some comment on such hand here.

Maulik
08-03-2005, 02:50 PM
You really need chips & Ace high is looking great. There isn't much room for discussion w/ 7bb can't get picky.

Hornacek
08-03-2005, 02:51 PM
6 handed... wait for something better... especially from the button position, its gonna be seen as a steal much too quickly, and getting called by any two cards leaves u barely a slight favorite.

junkmail3
08-03-2005, 02:53 PM
and it's suited. I don't know why, but that usually pushed me over the edge in this steal situation.

plus, this is the second best spot to steal.

The next time you have this opportunity (assuming you won't get any better hands in better position) you'll be down to 540 (if the blinds don't increase), you'll have lost FE, etc etc, and this is an okay hand in a pretty good spot.

I'd push.

schwza
08-03-2005, 02:56 PM
i'd push. villains will be tighter than that, which is good for you.

ChoicestHops
08-03-2005, 02:58 PM
I push here. If you dont push here, you may end up getting a reasonable hand within the next orbit but you'll most likely have to call a push to play it. This is where you need to gamble by taking EV+ situations at the blinds.

Nicholasp27
08-03-2005, 03:21 PM
usually .5% or more means a decent edge

<.5% should be examined more closely

asherpuppy
08-03-2005, 03:22 PM
You should probably push with this hand and your stack size (it's not that likely you'll get something much better and be able to be first one in), but it sometimes comes down to the size of the sb and bb's stacks. If they are the big stacks and you can't hurt them, they are more likely to call when there are 5 people left. If they are middle stacks, they DON'T want to become the small stacks near the bubble, and they will be far less likely to call you.
Your stack size seems large enough to threaten most mid-range stacks. You might hesitate if either of them is the big stack and would still be big even if they called and lost.

BadMongo
08-03-2005, 03:26 PM
Definately a push. You need chips desperately to maintain some degree of FE, especially if the blinds are about to increase.

danger_mouse
08-03-2005, 03:28 PM
You have too push. You have a half-way decent hand and perfect position. You will most often pick up the blinds uncontested.

Ryendal
08-03-2005, 03:35 PM
I forget to say that I will have only the 100 blind on the next round, and not 150 wich let me some FE for the next round.
And try to accept the calling range. The ICM EV give exatly +0.5, take it as it is.

I regret that all replies give the same answer. Nobody fold here ?

Nicholasp27
08-03-2005, 03:40 PM
do u have sng power tools? if so, do this exercise:

plug in the stacks if you do fold and act like it's the next hand...now hit the compute all button to get all ranges that are +ev for u to push...consider how likely it is you will get one of those cards next hand...then take some of the weaker ones it says and plug it in and hit compute to see if it's closer to 0.1% or .5%...try to find what hand u need to have a .5% or higher chance before the next time blinds hit u...

that'll give u an idea of the odds that u will find a higher +ev situation this game than the one u are in now

bennies
08-03-2005, 03:42 PM
I push here too, sorry... . I'll fold it from CO or if I had 100 more chips.

By the way, I think this is a perfect situation for the icm tool, I for one would bow my head and obey its suggestion /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Ryendal
08-03-2005, 03:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
do u have sng power tools? if so, do this exercise:

plug in the stacks if you do fold and act like it's the next hand...now hit the compute all button to get all ranges that are +ev for u to push...consider how likely it is you will get one of those cards next hand...then take some of the weaker ones it says and plug it in and hit compute to see if it's closer to 0.1% or .5%...try to find what hand u need to have a .5% or higher chance before the next time blinds hit u...

that'll give u an idea of the odds that u will find a higher +ev situation this game than the one u are in now

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not so easy to imagine what hand I should have in the next few hands, and furthemore when there is variance on theses hand to appear or not.

curtains
08-03-2005, 03:48 PM
Yes this is a very clear allin in almost every situation.

Nicholasp27
08-03-2005, 03:51 PM
well it will tell u that you can push the top x% of hands and be +ev...so if you find that after folding and blinds going up, you need a top 25% of hands to be +, then u know this hand is ur best bet to get a .5%+ ev push in there

Ryendal
08-03-2005, 04:04 PM
Ok, actually I push here, but I had big doubts, may be because I have been called to much etc ...
I needed this refresh.

I have the same problem in ITM. If I raise to much blinds, everybody take me for a maniac, and with some 0.5 +EV I will get called to much versus my A5o etc. May be I will post a more precise hand with 2500 stack for me and blinds at 300 in ITM...

Nicholasp27
08-03-2005, 04:21 PM
if u feel they won't respect you as much, change their calling ranges to loose or maniacal

if u haven't pushed in awhile and seem tighter to them, tighten up their ranges

bigt439
08-03-2005, 04:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and it's suited. I don't know why, but that usually pushed me over the edge in this steal situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe because it adds 3-4% against almost all hands?
This is a clear push. ICM is extremely accurate for the most part. It is good that you are questioning it for the purpose of understanding the logic behind it, but if you pushed everytime ICM told you to, you'd be in great shape. Push it in baby.