PDA

View Full Version : Vanguard Investment - Need Advice?

AviD
08-03-2005, 02:26 PM
Vanguard is terminating a certain fund that I am invested in and I need to move it to another.

I don't know much about investing and pretty much have just gone with whatever research I did when I started working and what was recommended at the time.

I am currently invested in:

Vanguard LifeStrategy Growth Fund

My options are:

Vanguard 500 Index Fund Inv
Vanguard Explorer Fund Investor
Vanguard Growth Index Fund Inv
Vanguard International Growth Inv
Vanguard Mid-Cap Index Fund Inv
Vanguard Prime Money Mkt Fund
Vanguard Target Retirement Income
Vanguard Target Retirement 2005
Vanguard Target Retirement 2015
Vanguard Target Retirement 2025
Vanguard Target Retirement 2035
Vanguard Target Retirement 2045
Vanguard Total Bond Mkt Index Inv
Vanguard Wellington Fund Inv
Vanguard Windsor II Fund Inv

Not sure what other info I can provide here that would be beneficial outside of my age (considering the Target Retirement plans). I am going to be 28 in October.

If you need additional info, let me know.

Let me know what you think, those of you that are more savvy and involved in investment than I.

Thanks!

Sniper
08-03-2005, 03:11 PM
Vanguard Life Strategy Fund is a Fund of Funds, based on the information on the vanguard web site, here is the current allocation in that fund:

Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund: 50%
Vanguard Asset Allocation Fund: 25% (note: not much allocation here as its currently 100% stocks)
Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund: 15%
Vanguard Total Bond Market Index Fund: 10%

Basically your looking at 75% US stocks, 15% International and 10% Bonds.

The closest allocation in a single fund is the Vanguard Target Retirement 2045 (which is also a fund of funds).

mcb
08-03-2005, 04:45 PM
vanguard 500. i'm not really a big fan of growth funds so i didn't consider them. the 500 is a safe index fund with low expenses and gets my vote.

AceHigh
08-03-2005, 07:55 PM
Pick the one that charges the smallest fees.

alekhine8
08-03-2005, 11:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund: 50%
Vanguard Asset Allocation Fund: 25%
Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund: 15%
Vanguard Total Bond Market Index Fund: 10%

Basically your looking at 75% US stocks, 15% International and 10% Bonds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would throw it into the S&P 500 index fund (VFINX) or the Total Stock Market index fund (VTSMX). The TSM fund gives you a modest coverage of medium and smaller companies, as opposed to just tracking the 500 largest companies.

If you want some money in international marktets or bonds, just add a second fund. Keep in mind Vanguard charges $10/year for any index funds with balances less than $10,000.

Good luck.

icetonez
08-04-2005, 03:38 PM
Avid - I don't think you need to change anything. Vanguard LifeStrategy Growth Fund is fine. With that fund you can control the AA as you grow older. With the Target Retirement accounts they do it for you automatically.

AviD
08-04-2005, 04:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Avid - I don't think you need to change anything. Vanguard LifeStrategy Growth Fund is fine. With that fund you can control the AA as you grow older. With the Target Retirement accounts they do it for you automatically.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have a choice here, they are discontinuing or closing that investment type. So I MUST move into another type.