PDA

View Full Version : Do you gamble here?

ChoicestHops
08-03-2005, 01:53 PM
Instead of using the hand history I will keep it simple.

Blinds are 25/50 at a table of 10, my stack is 600 and I raise QQ to 200 in MP. I get 2 callers.

Flop is AJJ rainbow and the pot is 600. My stack is 300 here. Do I all-in or play it weak tight because of the ace. I chose to push because if I check here and someone bets into me whether they have the ace or not and I fold my stack is at 300 and Im effectively cripped.

No reads.

Maulik
08-03-2005, 01:56 PM
Given your reasoning, shouldn't you simply have open pushed? It makes all your decisions easier and doesn't leave you concerned about being cripped.

Also, if you are going all-in why not check and let them put some of their chips in. That way if they had a lower pair, you've got their chips and if you're beat, well... you're still toast.

ChoicestHops
08-03-2005, 02:00 PM
You are most likely right. I wanted some action with my ladies here however and wanted to see if any sub-par hands wanted to play but certainly an AK would have called an open push at level 3 here.

45suited
08-03-2005, 02:01 PM
How did your stack go from 600 to 300 after a raise to 200?

I'd raise to 150 pre-flop. With two callers and that flop, I'm check folding to significant action. Too likely with multiple opponents that one of them has an ace. Save your 400, you can still come back.

BTW, against one opponent, I might check / call an all-in. Pushing accomplishes nothing (other than keep a K from coming on the turn). Any ace would call. Against an aggressive opponent (if the pot was heads up), I'd decide whether I want to commit more chips to the pot. If so, check - call a push. The times that you have the best hand, you will have induced a bluff. Open pushing is the classic example of only getting called by hands that beat you.

Maulik
08-03-2005, 02:05 PM
You are most likely right. I wanted some action with my ladies here however and wanted to see if any sub-par hands wanted to play but certainly an AK would have called an open push at level 3 here.

Having gone all-in is better than betting 1/3 of your stack then check/mucking if an Ace flops.

freemoney
08-03-2005, 02:10 PM
i cant believe how bad of an understanding you have of the game, ill leave it at that.

Maulik
08-03-2005, 02:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i cant believe how bad of an understanding you have of the game, ill leave it at that.

[/ QUOTE ]

did you disagree with something I said?

UMTerp
08-03-2005, 02:24 PM
Check-calling an all-in is better than pushing on that flop.

durron597
08-03-2005, 02:27 PM
With 12xBB and QQ in EP I just openpush.

freemoney
08-03-2005, 02:32 PM
no it was in reference to OP, although openpushing is not nearly the best line here.

Maulik
08-03-2005, 02:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
no it was in reference to OP, although openpushing is not nearly the best line here.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the Hero going to do when someone goes all-in over the top of him?

freemoney
08-03-2005, 02:35 PM
when?

UMTerp
08-03-2005, 02:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you open-push every time you get AA dealt to you?

bluefeet
08-03-2005, 02:36 PM
the 'gamble' you took was PF

you didn't open-push because you wanted action.
you raised 1/3 your stack (4x) to get said 'action'.
you correctly reasoned, that with 2 callers behind you, this flop may not be favorable.

you need to be cognisant of you FULL intentions post flop, when making your PF move (in regards to your raise):

a) "all my chips are going in - period. i just want more chips in the pot first"
b) "i'm going to raise here, hopefully taking down a nice pot on the flop"

[side note: i'm not advocating [A] at all]

comparing A & B to your PF raise size, you can see how niether really fits. regardless if it's your intent to "go broke or double/triple up" or "see a flop...get out alive if it doesn't work out", the 1/3-your-stack-4x isn't accomplishing either for you.

if you're not going to open-push, a raise of t125-150 fits both of your post flop options. you'll get some 'action', and it leaves you an exit with some chips intact.

for the record, i'd just open-push. a standard raise + an increase in blinds, leaves you only 5BB. furthermore, with the likelyhood of being out of position against one or more of your callers, your post-flop options are slim to none (check/fold....push) on an unfavorable flop like this.

freemoney
08-03-2005, 02:37 PM
well theres a huge difference between AA and QQ and this flop illustrates it...

ChoicestHops
08-03-2005, 02:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What the hell are you talking about?

Maulik
08-03-2005, 02:40 PM
disregard my response above, I confused threads.

junkmail3
08-03-2005, 02:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What the hell are you talking about?

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you flop an A holding AA and be in trouble?
Can you flop an A holding QQ and be in trouble?

I'm pretty sure that is the difference he is talking about.

ChoicestHops
08-03-2005, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What's he trying to get at, don't open push QQ because of possible risks?

Maulik
08-03-2005, 02:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What's he trying to get at, don't open push QQ because of possible risks?

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope not!

KingDan
08-03-2005, 05:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You call.