PDA

View Full Version : Yeah, I flopped trips!

Nottom
08-03-2005, 01:38 PM
Standard boring blind hand.

Party 100+9

Level 1, Me and Villian are both around our starting stacks.

Folded to SB who completes, I check with K4o in the BB.

Flop is 6s, Ks, Kd

He checks, I bet 40 and he calls.

Turn is the Qc

He checks, I bet 80 and he checkraises to 200. I call

River is the 8d and he pushes. Hero thinks a bit and calls.

OK, first I don't think there is anything particularly interesting about this hand other than it illustrated how much I hate flopping trips with a crappy kicker.

If he had bet something like 400 on the river, I would have hated having to call. If he check-raises me all-in on the river I feel even worse about calling. Is there any action that would make someone fold a hand like this?

mmbt0ne
08-03-2005, 01:45 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
Turn is the Qc

[/ QUOTE ]

Why call here if you're calling a low river card that won't counterfeit most better kings? Do you think he bluffs the river enough?

Drizztdj
08-03-2005, 01:47 PM
The check-raise on the turn after smooth-call tells me you're in kicker trouble and he/she is representing the case king.

Or... could have a PP and is guess you don't have the king.

durron597
08-03-2005, 01:48 PM
I would check this turn 100% of the time. I'm not expecting to be against a draw here so I don't mind taking the card, and calling a possible bluff river bet that usually won't be allin.

The only way you're getting tons of action in this hand is if you're beaten, so I want to get my trips to showdown as cheaply as possible.

08-03-2005, 01:49 PM
I agree, I would not call the push on the river. Too much too early with a vulnerable hand.

adanthar
08-03-2005, 02:15 PM
This flop is not particularly good for you and the CR on the turn makes your hand pretty worthless.

Check the turn and call some reasonable bets down.

Nottom
08-03-2005, 06:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree, I would not call the push on the river. Too much too early with a vulnerable hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

When he pushes the river I am pretty much positive he doesn't have a K. I don't know what he has, but I'm 95% sure I have the best hand. Most people just don't overbet the pot with trips or better here.

TT_fold
08-03-2005, 06:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When he pushes the river I am pretty much positive he doesn't have a K. I don't know what he has, but I'm 95% sure I have the best hand. Most people just don't overbet the pot with trips or better here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh. Many good players will push the river here, knowing that an overbet is the best way to extract chips from Kx. If I had 66 or AK, I would nearly always push this river. If a good player like you will call with K4, then a call station will definitely call a push.

freemoney
08-03-2005, 06:23 PM
i think thats a really really far off statement that u think 95% of the time with this line the player doesnt have a K.

curtains
08-03-2005, 06:25 PM
People are stupid idiots on partypoker. I would bet the flop, Id bet the turn, and I'd call the checkraise and then call the river. I'd be unhappy about calling the river but I'd ask myself "would some random partypoker idiot play a king like this", and the answer would usually be "no".

mcpherzen
08-03-2005, 07:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

People are stupid idiots on partypoker. I would bet the flop, Id bet the turn, and I'd call the checkraise and then call the river. I'd be unhappy about calling the river but I'd ask myself "would some random partypoker idiot play a king like this", and the answer would usually be "no".

[/ QUOTE ]

I definitely agree with Curtains on this one, and I'm really surprised by those advocating fold and/or check the turn. Really? Blind-on-blind and you're worried about being up against the case King? I'll happily get all my chips to the middle here on any street and see how it works out.

I love the way you played the hand too. You get that flop checked to you and you overbet the pot (slightly). Opponent calls. There's no way he's giving you credit for having the K. Then he check-raises you on the turn, possibly holding a Q, but I figure mainly just trying to take you off the hand by representing the K himself. Your smooth-call is great because it is super weak and probably registers to him as "I got caught trying to buy this pot, but I'm too poor of a player to fold when I get check-raised." It almost certainly induced his push on the river, which you happily call. If he really had a K, he would have bet less on the river in an attempt to value bet his hand (and get called)/induce you to come over the top with a bluff. He would have been scared to death you would fold to an all-in in level #1 and we would have gotten no further value for his monster. I agree with Curtains - I just don't see the Party crowd playing that way with a superior K.

--Zen

mmbt0ne
08-03-2005, 07:41 PM
Turn is the Qc

[/ QUOTE ]

Why call here if you're calling a low river card that won't counterfeit most better kings? Do you think he bluffs the river enough?

[/ QUOTE ]

I just want to point out, that when I say this, I'm leaning much more towards pushing than folding. Stupidly aggressive? With 1k chips, probably. In an 800 chip game, I don't think it's close.

freemoney
08-03-2005, 07:47 PM
it really really amazes me how bad people play.

08-03-2005, 07:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
it really really amazes me how many useless responses one person can post

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP, says the n00b. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

freemoney
08-03-2005, 08:00 PM
lol from the same guy who asks me to coach him.

microbet
08-03-2005, 08:03 PM
I would think most good king hands would have raised preflop. On the turn I'm pretty confident and maybe kickers won't play anyway. Why does he check-raise? I think it is too aggro if he hit a boat (usually). It looks like either he thinks you are full of it or he has a good draw. Either way reraise because he's probably not putting in more chips unless he hits his draw.

Maybe he does this with pocket sixes.

Anyway I prolly push the turn.

08-03-2005, 08:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
lol from the same guy who mocks me relentlessly in a PM.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP, again, jeez.

Take me by the hand and lead me along THE PATH.

yus.

Nottom
08-03-2005, 08:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh. Many good players will push the river here, knowing that an overbet is the best way to extract chips from Kx. If I had 66 or AK, I would nearly always push this river. If a good player like you will call with K4, then a call station will definitely call a push.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't becasue 95% of the players with a K would already have all their money in the middle. In order to make this push, I have to give my opponent credit for realizing that K4 isn't a very good hand here but will begrudgingly still call the bet.

Nottom
08-03-2005, 08:55 PM
For those that care he had A9 and lost his stack.

curtains
08-03-2005, 08:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well okay, theres not really much he could do to avoid that.

freemoney
08-03-2005, 08:58 PM
I'd be willing to help with that bet

I'm still brand new to SNGs and I enjoy the concept behind them. I've been looking for someone to help me along - not just posting my hands to the forum, but a person to take me by the hand and lead me along the path.

Care to take a shot at backing up that bet?

- yasher

lol thats mocking?

Nottom
08-03-2005, 09:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well okay, theres not really much he could do to avoid that.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I thought he played it well. Just got unlucky to run into a better hand when holding a monster.

diconoclastx
08-03-2005, 09:57 PM
I would play the same way you did. Only call his turn bet instead of pushing so he will fire another bluff on the river.

microbet
08-03-2005, 10:46 PM
both spades?

curtains
08-03-2005, 10:49 PM
We were both joking.

microbet
08-03-2005, 10:59 PM
I thought there was a good chance of that. I was looking at this thread on a blackberry and you just can't detect sarcasm very well on that little screen.

curtains
08-03-2005, 11:01 PM
/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Nottom
08-04-2005, 02:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
both spades?

[/ QUOTE ]

no spades

Unarmed
08-04-2005, 09:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I definitely agree with Curtains on this one, and I'm really surprised by those advocating fold and/or check the turn. Really? Blind-on-blind and you're worried about being up against the case King? I'll happily get all my chips to the middle here on any street and see how it works out.

I love the way you played the hand too. You get that flop checked to you and you overbet the pot (slightly). Opponent calls. There's no way he's giving you credit for having the K. Then he check-raises you on the turn, possibly holding a Q, but I figure mainly just trying to take you off the hand by representing the K himself. Your smooth-call is great because it is super weak and probably registers to him as "I got caught trying to buy this pot, but I'm too poor of a player to fold when I get check-raised." It almost certainly induced his push on the river, which you happily call. If he really had a K, he would have bet less on the river in an attempt to value bet his hand (and get called)/induce you to come over the top with a bluff. He would have been scared to death you would fold to an all-in in level #1 and we would have gotten no further value for his monster. I agree with Curtains - I just don't see the Party crowd playing that way with a superior K.

--Zen

[/ QUOTE ]

As always, great post Zen.
Thanks.

Irieguy
08-04-2005, 01:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This flop is not particularly good for you and the CR on the turn makes your hand pretty worthless.

Check the turn and call some reasonable bets down.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is Adanthar's worst post ever. Maybe he was drunk.

Irieguy

adanthar
08-04-2005, 11:06 PM
It might very well have been /images/graemlins/crazy.gif I haven't played too many SNG's in the last month, that may be why.