PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with this pair?

08-03-2005, 01:27 PM
NL Party 10+1
Blinds = 100/200
Total number of players : 6

UTG: (820)
Seat 3: (2405)
Seat 5: VILLAIN (1105)
Button: (1100)
SB: (975)
BB: HERO (1595)

Dealt to HERO [ 7d, 7s ]
UTG folds.
Seat 3 calls (100)
VILLAIN raises (200) to 200
Button folds.
SB folds.
HERO calls (100)
Seat 3 calls (100)

** Dealing Flop ** : [ 2d, 2s, Th ]
HERO bets (200)
Seat 3 folds.
VILLAIN raises (400) to 400
HERO calls (200)

** Dealing Turn ** : [ Js ]
HERO checks.
VILLAIN bets (505)
VILLAIN is all-In.

HERO?

Seat 3 has been playing very tight recently and VILLAIN has been playing loose the whole game, seeing flops with 86o and has loose calling standards.

Since I'm in the BB and it has been minraised with one caller, I call because my pot odds (assuming seat 3 calls, which I was quite sure would happen) were 5:1.

After the flop came a rainbow with no straight possibilities and likely to have missed my opponents, I put out a probe bet of 200 to see where I stand, got minraised by VILLAIN and thought I was beat, but called the minraise because of the pot size. What would you do on the turn? Comments on all streets of this hand are welcome... I am unsure of this hand as a whole.

Thanks in advance.

MisterW

ldavidjm
08-03-2005, 01:46 PM
I'd seriously consider a preflop push. I probably do push preflop because playing 7's postflop can get pretty tricky especially against a loose player who will flat call with overs and leave you hanging out of position. I think you've committed so much that you must call the turn. That said I push the flop- the way you're playing it you're committing yourself to call anyway. I hate the 200 lead it doesn't tell you anything, and neither does a miniraise from the loose villan. I think I would try and checkraise allin on the flop because he's loose and will probably bet(re your read). Finally, since you said he's a loose crappy player I think that makes your line even easier since he could easily have overs and playing like a donk.

You played this way too weakly.

junkmail3
08-03-2005, 01:52 PM
You're doing alright at this point. No need to get tricky.

I'd call preflop. Check/fold the flop if I didn't hit a set/overpair/straight draw.

Maulik
08-03-2005, 01:54 PM
If villian is playing weak hands, I just push over the top 77 is pretty good and the pot is sizeable. If overcards fall you won't be so happy about your hand, however if you push you can win w/o s/d

junkmail3
08-03-2005, 02:22 PM
If villian is loose he may be inclined to call a push with face cards. At which point you're a coinflip and stand to loose most of your stack.

I just don't think there's really any need, with hero's stack and the status of the other players to get into this hand too deep. there's pleny of time to work and maneuver. I'd rather not put my stack on the line going against a limp - minraise.

Seeing that the raiser is loose, his raise (espically small), may indicate some strength in his hand also.

The more I look at it, the more I like my line of calling the raise, check folding the flop.

(not to say this is right)

Maulik
08-03-2005, 02:33 PM
The more I look at it, the more I like my line of calling the raise, check folding the flop.

I don't like this, let's look at the stacks. Hero started with t1595 then posted t200. Its min-raised t200. So now if hero simply calls t200 he's now @ t1195.

I think pushing is ideal here to isolate. I don't like smooth calling three handed here. If it were HU, a Stop & Go would be ideal. I can't jusifty calling t200 of a t1395 to hit a set given 5:1 odds.

Someone tell me if i'm wrong

08-03-2005, 02:37 PM
I'm not sure I like the idea of pushing 77 preflop since I have the second biggest stack and would only be called by hands that either dominate me or that I am in a coinflip situation against. I wouldn't mind a push if I had pocket 10s or higher, AQ or AK, but 77 is too vulnerable to risk a significant portion of my stack to a loose Villain. I agree with your assessment that I played this hand too weakly, but I think pushing is too risky.

MisterW

08-03-2005, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I don't like this, let's look at the stacks. Hero started with t1595 then posted t200. Its min-raised t200. So now if hero simply calls t200 he's now @ t1195.

I think pushing is ideal here to isolate. I don't like smooth calling three handed here. If it were HU, a Stop & Go would be ideal. I can't jusifty calling t200 of a t1395 to hit a set given 5:1 odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

The BB was 100 and I called Villain's minraise for another 100, so my stack before the flop was 1395 with a pot size of 650 after seat 3 called the minraise.

Edit: I just realized you were talking about action after the flop. Correct, I raised 200 and seat 3 folded, then Villain minraised to 400 and I called 200. Are you saying that rather than calling the minraise, I should push?

junkmail3
08-03-2005, 02:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The BB was 100 and I called Villain's minraise for another 100, so my stack before the flop was 1395 with a pot size of 650 after seat 3 called the minraise.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's what I thought. But looking back at your post. The action would dictate that the BB was 100, however you have the BB listed at 200.

And I think that makes a big difference.

08-03-2005, 02:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that's what I thought. But looking back at your post. The action would dictate that the BB was 100, however you have the BB listed at 200.

And I think that makes a big difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct, the blinds are 50/100. I listed them as 100/200 by accident (and now I can't edit the original post due to time expiration for editing). Thank you for pointing this out and sorry for any confusion.

MisterW

schwza
08-03-2005, 04:00 PM
i call pre-flop and check-fold.

08-03-2005, 04:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i call pre-flop and check-fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems like the general consensus on this hand. Given the flop, is the t200 bet (remember BB is actually 100, I mistakenly wrote 200 in the OP) with this flop texture a mistake? I thought this bet was likely to take the pot, but was minraised instead, forcing me to commit more chips. Is it safe to say this probe bet is -EV in the long run and that check/folding the flop is the correct play?

MisterW

schwza
08-03-2005, 04:11 PM
the probe bet is great if you think villain will fold AK consistently. i'm just not sure that's he's going to.

[ QUOTE ]
but was minraised instead, forcing me to commit more chips

[/ QUOTE ]

it's allowed to fold to a min-raise. the only way you should call it is if you think it's reasonably likely that AK will minraise and then check behind on the turn and river. that's not too likely, so i'd fold to the min-raise.

08-03-2005, 04:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
it's allowed to fold to a min-raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. I often have trouble folding to a minraise. Every time I do, I hate that I did, but I tell myself that there will be better spots that will come up later in the game, and by folding now I'll have more chips to use to my advantage.

MisterW