PDA

View Full Version : Maximizing profit with A-Q OOP

08-03-2005, 01:04 PM
Borgata 5-10 NL.

I have never played with villain before but he seems like a typical weak passive calling station as long as the bet is small. In one previous hand he just called with 99 on the river when the final board was 3K93A when there was almost no chance of a higher full. On another hand he called $75 on a flop of 45J with AJ, and then folded face up to a $200 bet after a Q fell on the turn. The bettor had AK.

I am in cutoff with $1450. Villain is on button and has me covered. A MP player limps. I raise to $40 with AQ of spades. Button calls, both blinds fold, limper calls.

Flop is A /images/graemlins/diamond.gifA /images/graemlins/heart.gif7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Limper checks, I bet $100. Button raises to $300. Limper folds. My action?

ObnxNole
08-03-2005, 01:06 PM
Call and get the rest in on the turn.

thabadguy
08-03-2005, 04:10 PM
If he is as weak passive as you say..then muck flop.

flawless_victory
08-03-2005, 04:12 PM
if hes really super weak/passive i think you should maximize by folding.

mgsimpleton
08-03-2005, 08:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if hes really super weak/passive i think you should maximize by folding.

[/ QUOTE ]

i am almost inclined to agree, but still a lot of players who are weak passive go crazy with trips. while i realize he didn't do this with 999, maybe a set is different than trips to him? who knows. i'd call and fold to a big bet on the turn.

08-04-2005, 12:13 AM
My initial inclination was to fold, but I feel I tend to overvalue opponents hands and I decided that folding was too weak. The thing was that I thought he might have played a lot of aces on the button, and I couldn't decide whether he would raise with any ace here, so that he could get information. It was a smarter play than I had seen from him so far... but again I probably tend to give my opponents too much credit.

Ultimately I decided to min re-raise, thinking that he would only call or re-raise if I was beaten, and that there was no way I could get him to pay off with a hand I could beat (unless I severely underbet). He said he folded AQ (didn't show).

I don't post this because I think I am a genius or anything. In fact, despite the outcome, I feel like folding may have been better and that I was behind most of his hand range and just happened to get lucky. I say this also because it seems that every time I get any action when I flop trips I am beaten, even when I have AK.

I still haven't figured out how to get smaller trips to pay off, especially when I am out of position. Maybe I am too tight...