PDA

View Full Version : Gods and Generals

Mason Malmuth
03-12-2003, 09:54 PM
Hi Everyone:

Charmaine and I saw the movie Gods and Generals last night. Even though it's getting terrible reviews, I thought it was pretty good. Yes it does drag in places, but the battle scenes appeared accurate and well done, the personality of Stonewall Jackson was well brought out, and a feeling for the times was also there.

I think part of the problem that many of the reviewers have is all the religious stuff. Well, that's the way it was back then.

I actually think that this is an important movie, especially for our troubled times.

Best wishes,
mason

Ray Zee
03-12-2003, 11:20 PM
heck mason, you like all the movies you see. you even liked rocky and bullwinkle. but then again i liked snow dogs.

adios
03-13-2003, 10:08 PM
Hey I liked Gettysburg how does it compare to that movie? I'm sure I'll check it out.

Rick Nebiolo
03-14-2003, 07:10 AM
Mason

Thanks to the 2+2 Civil War book recommendations I asked for last year I read the great Jeff (the son) and Michael Shaara trilogy of which Gods and Generals was the first. I was looking forward to this movie and was mostly disappointed.

The main problem was that it was too much about Stonewall Jackson, and IMO Stephan Lang wasn't up to the roll. Based on what I?ve read and the images available in books and on the net, the real Stonewall had "gravitas" (Is that really a word or is it something pundits cooked up?).

I did like the recreation of part of the battle of Fredericksburg, with the emphasis on General Longstreet?s great defense from behind the stonewall.

I agree this is an important movie and worth seeing. But the book is a must read.

Regards,

Rick

PS My computer has been down and I really missed the forum for the last week.