PDA

View Full Version : Who is playing that guitar on ESPN poker theme?

carpe2k
08-03-2005, 11:22 AM
Always been curious about who the guitar player is on the ESPN W.S.O.P. Theme music? Anyone know who it is? Very distictive sound. Thanks in advance. /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

TheMainEvent
08-03-2005, 11:31 AM
I'm guessing it's the same guy who did Sam's theme from "Clarissa explains it all"

correia
08-03-2005, 11:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm guessing it's the same guy who did Sam's theme from "Clarissa explains it all"

[/ QUOTE ] http://wolfbat359.com/melft80.jpg

LetYouDown
08-03-2005, 12:15 PM
What's distinct about it? Seems like a slide on a standard acoustic guitar...possibly a dobro. It's very short (6 notes and a slide IIRC), no electronic effects.

Matador225
08-03-2005, 01:37 PM
That takes me back. Great comparison.

Yeti
08-03-2005, 01:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. vnh

Jordan Olsommer
08-03-2005, 01:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What's distinct about it? Seems like a slide on a standard acoustic guitar...possibly a dobro. It's very short (6 notes and a slide IIRC), no electronic effects.

[/ QUOTE ]

I counted seven before the slide (not to nitpick), but I'm almost positive it's a dobro - anybody with a pair of trained ears care to weigh in on this?

In any event, it seems like something that any decent studio musician could do.

LetYouDown
08-03-2005, 01:59 PM
I haven't really watched the WSOP very much...you are probably right about the number of notes. I just tried to hum the melody to myself.

I'm almost certain it's a dobro now that I think about it. Sounds very similar to the guitar Clapton used for Unplugged...although I'm not sure what the model of that was off the top of my head.

Jordan Olsommer
08-03-2005, 02:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I haven't really watch the WSOP very much...you are probably right about the number of notes. I just tried to hum the melody to myself.

I'm almost certain it's a dobro now that I think about it. Sounds very similar to the guitar Clapton used for Unplugged...although I'm not sure what the model of that was off the top of my head.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah ok - I just played a video file of one of the circuit events to count the number of notes, but I don't have a trained ear, so I'm not positive about these sorts of things.

I don't know what model it might have been, but I was under the (perhaps mistaken) impression that "dobro" is synonymous with "steel guitar", or maybe it's just a particular brand of steel guitar?

In any event, I'm almost positive it's a steel guitar /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

LetYouDown
08-03-2005, 02:15 PM
There's a metal resonator around the sound hole...played almost exclusively with slide. The only real song that comes to mind that's played without a slide for the most part is "Burden in my Hand" by Soundgarden. I'm sure there are plenty others and I have no idea why that one jumped into my head, but file it under FWIW.

BrettP217
08-03-2005, 02:37 PM
The theme music is by Michael Booble pronounced boob-lay
Im pretty sure i got the spelling on his name wrong but thats how you pronounce it.

burningyen
08-03-2005, 02:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In any event, it seems like something that any primate with opposable thumbs and a National tuned to E major could do.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

LetYouDown
08-03-2005, 02:51 PM
I guess it's Michael Buble. Apparently he's a jazz type that has similarities to Sinatra.

Agreed that it's not exactly a Bach piece. About 2 minutes with a slide and an acoustic guitar and you could probably figure it out note by note by ear.

CaptSensible
08-03-2005, 03:27 PM
It's actually a sample from Jimi Hendrix' version of Hey Joe.

/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Muck off
08-03-2005, 03:30 PM
cant any question get a regular answer..

carpe2k
08-03-2005, 04:56 PM
My thoughts are like Muck's. 14 replys that bring us no closer to an answer. Michael Buble is the (Sinatra-like)singer. We are looking for a Blues guitar player, that much I can figure out. If you want to be humorous, at least be FUNNY. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

LetYouDown
08-03-2005, 05:01 PM
Not sure if you were referring to me...I was just correcting the spelling. I'm still not certain of who it is or if anyone around here actually knows. You don't exactly need to be BB king to write/play that lick...although some would say that BB King is incredibly overrated. I'm stopping my thought process before it runs into a half hour ramble.

carpe2k
08-03-2005, 05:30 PM
Letyoudown,
You are correct in that they are using a Michael Buble' song this year. I just thought someone here might know who plays the "blues music" theme ESPN uses.They also use some harmonica riffs through out. /images/graemlins/diamond.gif