PDA

View Full Version : New Profile

John Cole
03-12-2003, 09:26 PM
Okay,

Since I wasn't fooling anybody with the he-man/redneck profile, I've changed it again, but I also realized that trying to write a profile in 250 characters limits me, as it would any of us. Anyway, you've guys have read enough of my annoying posts about esoteric movies (Zee even said my non-artsy movie list was too artsy), but even if I've caught every movie in a thirteen film Fassbinder retrospective, I've still seen The Philadelphia Story and Bringing Up Baby more times than I can count, and I'd trade almost every artsy movie I've ever seen for those two.

John

P.S. I still think any "comedy" starring a former or current SNL cast member, with the exception of Rushmore and Groundhog Day, kinda sucks or will kinda suck.

Mark Heide
03-12-2003, 09:37 PM
John,

Your profile is at least honest. I'm still waiting for you to write a review of Clouzot's Diabolique. Anyway, Ray's recommendations have been pretty artsy, so far. I still think you need to really watch a good Stallone, Eastwood, or Bronson flick.

Good Luck

Mark

Ray Zee
03-12-2003, 10:52 PM
yea john, the snl crew casts of the past made no funny movies.--the blues brothers was terrible--so was chevy chase's vacation movies--and steve martin cant make anyone laugh--caddy shack was trash--

HAVE YOU LOST YOUR SENSES

p.s. phili story is good

Ray Zee
03-12-2003, 11:17 PM
john, you named your dog after a bible character?

John Cole
03-12-2003, 11:20 PM
Ray,

I did like Steve Martin's Roxanne, but he was just a frequent host, not a cast member. The rest of them--yuck, but that's just me. I don't like CC, and although The Blues Brothers had a couple good moments, it reminded me of one long chase scene. I confess to liking Rodney in Caddyshack, but could barely watch the rest of it, especially CC and Bill Murray playing some gross parody of a burned out Vietnam vet. Okay, I've lost my senses. Of course, they're all better than Yentl.

John

John Feeney
03-12-2003, 11:40 PM
This is a tangent, but remember Steve Maritn's stand up act? He struck some kind of chord that, to me, was incredibly funny at the time (high school, early college). But I've gone back and listened to one of his albums again, and it doesn't hold up so well. Now it's still sort of amusing, but not gut wrenchingly funny, as it was back then. I need to go back and listen to my old Richard Pryor album to see it the same is true for him.

I should also work on a profile. (Gimme a year or so.) I think Ray's is due for and update too. There's nothing about the hair in it right now. As I once mentioned, when I first met Ray I saw him first from the back and recognized him from the hair alone. That's a good thing, Ray. Distinctive is good. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

John Cole
03-12-2003, 11:46 PM
Ray,

Let me make this clear--it's Mary's dog. I just walk the dog, and I had no say in the naming process. But, I did name a cat we had Ezra, but that was after the poet, not the prophet. As a stupid side note, my great-great grandfather's name was Ithemar Olney Cole, and I can only surmise that name must come from the Bible.

John

Ray Zee
03-12-2003, 11:48 PM
the sad part is that things are good in the context back then, and when we return to find that our thinking and outlook is different. it becomes hard to imagine what we thought was good about something. returning to relive the past never works, but it sure is every old farts dream.

Rick Nebiolo
03-14-2003, 07:39 AM
John,

Not only do you have the best job, you may be the best instructor/teacher I've ever seen. Auditing your class last year was a treat and I'm glad to see you doing something you love and is worthwhile.

Regards,

Rick

PS "Ithemar Olney Cole"! Now I know where your parents had the wherewithal to give you a middle name like "Wheaton". /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

scalf
03-14-2003, 08:17 AM
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif jeesh, john, i thought we had made a man oughts ya...well, when ya live in liberal land..(i.e. taxachussetts)..what do ya expect???

if ya moved to south carolina..it would not be long til ya had a nra sticker on your car..(er, truck) ..and an historically correct confederate flag a flying....gl /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/club.gif

WTF
03-14-2003, 09:30 AM
"the snl crew casts of the past made no funny movies"

Somebody been pissin' in your cheerios again?

(1) Driving Miss Daisy

(2) Funny Farm

(3) Groundhog Day

(4) Tommy Boy (may belong in 'guitly pleasures' section)

(5) Animal House (not one of my favorites, but many consider it a classic)

Smaller parts, but irreplaceable none the less.

(5) Tootsie

(6) Ed Wood

(6) King Pin

(7) The Rutles

Next fall under guilty pleasures.

(8) Coneheads

(9) What About Bob

(X) The 1st Vacation Movie (Imogene Coca is friggin great in this flick, but you're a little too young to appreciate her)

John Cole
03-14-2003, 12:50 PM
Rick,

As always, thanks for the nice words, and I wish you could visit more often. Then, you'd see me on my bad days.

I hope to get the chance soon to watch you in action. Too much time passes between visits, old friend.

John

P.S. You're one of my teaching models, Rick. I try to remind myself that spending hours explaining terminology is a waste when all they really want to do is start sailing.

John Cole
03-14-2003, 01:00 PM
WTF,

I'm more or less thinking of the movies in which the former or current cast members star, especially those movies that try to recapitulate or evoke the characters from SNL. Sorry, I can't understand why anyone could possibly think Will Ferrell (is that his name?) can carry an entire film.

John

WTF
03-14-2003, 09:54 PM
Hi John,

The only thing that sticks out in my memory of Ferrell doing on SNL is the Spartans cheerleader skit with Cheri Oteri. Also, I thought Ferrell was lucky to get another chance in a movie after his performance in that gawd-awful comedy "Zoolander." I guess somebody's banking on Ferrell being the next breakout artist from SNL (id est, Adam Sandler, Mike Myers, Billy Crystal, Eddie Murphy). Stranger things have happened...Adam Sandler(?).

["Trading Places" with Dan Aykroyd and Eddie Murphy is a movie I forgot to include in my previous post]