PDA

View Full Version : Playing online vs. Playing live: What to do?

imported_Dozer
08-03-2005, 10:32 AM
My wife is away on business for two days and I have the chance to sneak out and play some poker live, which I don't get to do very often.

Should I do that, or partake in the multitude of MTTs and 2/4 limit games online that are out there?

What's the best way to spend my limited hours of time? Bankroll is not a factor since the live games I'd play are similar to the online games. There are no live tourneys.

RevToby
08-03-2005, 02:36 PM
It depends on what you're looking to get out of it. If you just want to make money, playing online is probably your best bet, especially if you're playing 2/4.

From my experience, the play at live tables is significantly worse than online- people often show up expecting to lose money. However, online offers more hands per hour, plus the option of going for more tables. Take rake + toke also means much lower EV.

Live poker is fun because people will rarely fold, and your draws will always have great odds. I find it to be an enjoyable thing to do on a weekend night when I'm bored, but it's no substitute for online play. In live games, I usually play 3/6 or 4/8 kill, and a good session of a few hours means $100-$200. In a few hours of online play, with a good run, I can double or triple that amount.

imported_Dozer
08-04-2005, 04:34 PM
bump

UATrewqaz
08-04-2005, 05:39 PM
If you are looking to maximize profit and $ per hour online is the way to go.

If you are looking to have a good time and laugh at how badly people play live limit hold em, as well as score some comps, go live. Live is inherently more fun.