PDA

View Full Version : 2/4 AQ raised on flop... fold right?

ryanghall
08-03-2005, 09:51 AM
Empire 400NL full ring. I have $396, Villain covers me. I have little read. I've never seen him before and this is my 2nd hand at the table. From watching before I sat, he didn't seem out of line.

I get A /images/graemlins/heart.gif Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif in SB.

Villain limps first in EMP. 3 others limp. I complete, BB checks.

Flop is 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I bet $22 (pot), BB folds, Villain raises to $60, all fold back to me and I fold.

For some reason I'm doubting myself - this is a fold, right?

sekrah
08-03-2005, 09:57 AM
Yikes, pretty weak there.. Both preflop and post-flop.

Gotta raise the flop.. Gotta play back at this guy either here or on the turn.

swolfe
08-03-2005, 09:57 AM
which player was this?

AceHiStation
08-03-2005, 10:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yikes, pretty weak there.. Both preflop and post-flop.

Gotta raise the flop.. Gotta play back at this guy either here or on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed with the exception of raising preflop. Why raise preflop into a 6-way hand OOP? This is just dying to give away some easy money. On the flop I find it tough to lay this down. I'd probably consider a call/lead turn line and play it from there.

djoyce003
08-03-2005, 10:08 AM
call and lead a non-club turn. I'd suspect villain is semi-bluffing on a draw. If he raies your turn bet, dump it.

ryanghall
08-03-2005, 10:09 AM
cDGosu, but that doesn't really matter as I had no read on him at the time.

Ryan

swolfe
08-03-2005, 10:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
cDGosu, but that doesn't really matter as I had no read on him at the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

i thought that i might /images/graemlins/smile.gif

without a read, i do a stop-n-go.

TheWorstPlayer
08-03-2005, 10:17 AM
Raising a pot sized bet from the SB five handed, from a solid EP limper, I'd say you are facing a set a lot of the time. I don't think it's a bad fold. I'm not sure I love the pot bet, though. I hate the SB.

ryanghall
08-03-2005, 10:19 AM
Yes, I'm finding I'm having a lot of trouble with these. I really don't want to play a huge pot with a pair, queen kicker OOP.

What, then, do I do in this case rather than the pot sized bet?

TheWorstPlayer
08-03-2005, 10:21 AM
I almost always check here.

ryanghall
08-03-2005, 10:22 AM
That's fair and I'm liking checking more and more...

Are you check-calling? If so, do you call, say a pot bet on the turn and fold to a big bet on the river? Check-raise flop?

Ryan

TheWorstPlayer
08-03-2005, 10:24 AM
Check flop and then from there it really depends on the board and the action and the reads on the actors. Almost never check/raise. Most of the time, check/call, lead turn. Against aggros, check/call, check/call, check/call is not too bad.

ryanghall
08-03-2005, 10:28 AM
Thank you, I like this advice and will try this next time this irritating scenario comes up.

Ryan