PDA

View Full Version : Balancing Poker and Relationships.

Aequitas58
08-03-2005, 09:11 AM
I'm crossposting this (Texas Hold'Em caterogy/ Other Other Topics) - I hope this isn't against the 2+2 rules, but I'm looking for as many responses as possible.

Long time reader, not much of a poster. I frequently post to two other HE forums, but I came here in search of a serious answer. I won't link the sites, b/c I don't want to to think I'm spamming. lol...

For the guys who have a wife / girlfriend, etc: How do you guys manage both? This sounds like a silly question, but if you're in a long term relationship, how do you manage having adequate poker-time and adequate "relationship" time?

I graduated law school in May. Studied non-stop for the PA + NJ bar exams. Took the bars in late July. Before starting to study for the bar, I would play regularly, at least an hour and a half/day.

Money hasn't been an issue... it's time. I'm not a degenerate to "gamble the rent money," and she knows this, so she's only concerned w/ the fact that I play so often.

She's a great girl - love her to death - and I hope to get engaged before this Christmas.

OK: If you have a significant "other," how do you handle poker and your relationship? Do you have an agreement worked out? Portion of your winnings to go into the "family," etc?

--
Lou

daveymck
08-03-2005, 09:13 AM
OMG wtf no poker content here.

Cross post it under psychology might get a decent response there.

FouTight
08-03-2005, 09:29 AM
if the chick can't dig your lifestyle, do you REALLY love her? sounds like she doesn't love you, sounds like she is in love with what she wants you to be.

spamuell
08-03-2005, 09:50 AM
This is OOT, no one has any idea about either of these.

jakethebake
08-03-2005, 09:51 AM
http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/images/smilies/needpics.gif

spamuell
08-03-2005, 09:54 AM
Wish me happy birthday Jake, I must have wished it to you fifty times.

jakethebake
08-03-2005, 09:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Happy Birthday! What a coincidence! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

spamuell
08-03-2005, 09:58 AM
Thanks. It´s weird that I´ve known you for 50 years given I´m 19 today.

jakethebake
08-03-2005, 10:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks. It´s weird that I´ve known you for 50 years given I´m 19 today.

[/ QUOTE ]

I keep telling my wife it seems like we've been married 50 years already. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

ChipWrecked
08-03-2005, 10:03 AM
You silver-tongued devil.

CrazyEyez
08-03-2005, 10:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I calculate the odds of you sharing a b-day with Spamuell at something like 6/365, but I could be off a little.
You are a statistical anomaly!

Brad22
08-03-2005, 11:17 AM
Make time for poker, and make time for your girlfriend.....am I missing something here?

I know ya like poker and all, but just stop playing sometimes and hang out with her if you want to. As for the money mgmt., its your money and do with it what you want/must depending on your obligations.

daveymck
08-03-2005, 11:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I calculate the odds of you sharing a b-day with Spamuell at something like 6/365, but I could be off a little.
You are a statistical anomaly!

[/ QUOTE ]

I shard a birthday with an ex of mine wonder what the odds of that were.

Indiana
08-03-2005, 11:38 AM
Ok I'm going to be honest and say that poker has ruined relationships in my life and kept me from getting my routine chores done. After making a dozen or so significant final tables, I cannot find anything else that gives me that kind of high. Oh yeah, and this is just between me and my 2+2 friends, but sex is a lot less interesting to me in my post poker life.

Indy

Lady Dont Tekno
08-03-2005, 11:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Oh yeah, and this is just between me and my 2+2 friends, but sex is a lot less interesting to me in my post poker life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you really have to go and do that...

LDT

TheTROLL
08-03-2005, 11:59 AM
Ignoring leap years... For a particular ex, 1/365=0.00274 (partner A can have any birthday, partner B must have the same one).

For it to have happened with any ex, I guess it's
1-((364/365)^x) where x is the number of exes, eg 0.0271 if you've been through 10 of them, 0.240 if there have been 100.

BusterStacks
08-03-2005, 12:15 PM
tell her you would have to work way more if you didn't play poker.

1800GAMBLER
08-03-2005, 01:18 PM
You play for 1.5 hours per day and she bitches about this so much that you felt bad enough to make a thread? What? Seriously, what? 1.5 hours?

Aequitas58
08-03-2005, 01:27 PM
I'll stick w/ the better comments in the HE section. Thanks anyway guys.

bugstud
08-03-2005, 01:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You play for 1.5 hours per day and she bitches about this so much that you felt bad enough to make a thread? What? Seriously, what? 1.5 hours?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah it needs to be 15 hours before we care. seriously

CrazyEyez
08-03-2005, 01:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll stick w/ the better comments in the HE section. Thanks anyway guys.

[/ QUOTE ]
First of all, how dare you.
Second of all HOW DARE YOU.

Edit: Crap, this should have been an Adam Corrola gimmick account.

offTopic
08-03-2005, 02:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Edit: Crap, this should have been an Adam Corrola gimmick account.

[/ QUOTE ]

- it's "Carolla"
- There already is one
- Given his "celebrity", it may actually be him