PDA

View Full Version : preparing ?

stokken
08-03-2005, 07:49 AM
What steps do u take to maintain consentration during a long tourney.
I find that about 4 hrs into tourneys my consentration dropps and I err on the wrong side in decions I would have little trouble handling normally.

My problem is just as profound wether I am deep or not

37offsuit
08-03-2005, 09:07 AM
I find that most of the poor decisions I make are when I act too quickly. I'm thinking: What did I just do?

During early stages, autopilot is usually fine. Later, I don't allow myself to make quick decisions, not even on auto-fold hands. A quick click of raise rather than fold with 83o can put a damper on a good tourny.

I also keep little post it notes around my playing area and revisit them. It's a little gay, but who cares? Notes like:

How do my chips relate to everyone else?
What stage is the tournament in?
Who is this guy?
HOW DID THE HAND GET HERE?

The last one might help you the best, but all of these (and many more that fade in and out just to plug my specific leaks of the moment) help keep you focused. Most decisions in tournaments break down into these types of questions...how has the hand been played, who was agressive preflop, who smooth called? Who has been playing really tight. How many chips did each player start with? How stuck are they in the hand? How stuck are you? How far along in the the tournament are you? How does that change everyone elses' play? How should that change yours?

When you're thinking about all of these things, you're concentrating.