PDA

View Full Version : Re-buys, loose calls.....correct strategy?

08-03-2005, 06:07 AM
This question is in regards to a Small NL Hold'Em Tourney.
Here's the set up: small multi-table, 50ish players, $10 buy in, $10 re-buy only in the first hour, no re-buy after that, playing for points, and a shot at the grand prize (not actual "gambling" ie. no money won).
A lot of players come to "have fun." 20% of players know how to play the game well and are generally tough, 60% are calling stations hoping the cards hit them, 20% are very bad. Before the re-buy period ends, and even untill there are 2 tables left with blinds rising quickly, some incredibly loose calls can be seen, and some insanely lucky draws. People go in with nothing and hope to catch cards, and it isn't uncommon to see a hand with the pot being raised, re-raised all in, and 3 more people calling.

My strategy has so far been succesfull, but I'm not sure i'm getting the best of it. Early on, I'm a rock. I won't play anything, and only the best hands from late position. I'm also passive and bet only for value, reckognizing that in order for me to get someone off a draw, I have to overbet the pot to such an extent that it doesn't pay off. Once the majority of players is eliminated,and re-buy period ends, I turn up the agression in an attempt to make up for what is usually a short stack. Often I'm able to bounce back, and even take chip lead farely quickly, as remaining people respect my raises.
Is there a way for me to pick up a piece of this "dead money" at the begining, while avoiding drawing against bad players as much as possible?
Am I getting the best of it?

Sarahanj
08-03-2005, 07:48 AM
Great question. I am currently thinking the same question. My method i the opposite of yours. I play more hands. With all that dead money out there i see no reason not to play many hands myself to try to build a big stack. But when i doubled up the first time I dont really know what to do. Should i continue taking chanses or start to play tight?

08-03-2005, 10:32 AM
The reason i play such a a weak-tight game early on, is that when I do catch monsters, people are nontheless still more than willing to give me action, and they don't care about the fact that I'm raising from early position, having just folded last 30 hands. On the other hand, I've been in situations before where I try to play my normal agressive game, pick up top two pair, overbet the pot, get cold-called with drawing hands, lose, and are left crippled. I remember pushing after a bad beat with AQs, getting called by one player, another one going all in over the top, and another one calling after that, only to get beaten by a Q 10 unsuited. Similarly hands like QQ and JJ become impossible to play w/o improving as there is no way to get bad players away from hands like Ax and Kx preflop!!! I should mention that I am one of the only players never to re-buy in a weak attempt at fiscal discipline /images/graemlins/smirk.gif. Still I can usually make this strategy work, and am leading in the point standings (due to frequent top finishes), but I'm frustrated with myself for never having won it, as the game is not too tough in generall.

08-03-2005, 10:35 AM
rebuying many times is +EV, play with them