PDA

View Full Version : Short Stack SNG Strategy

quinn
08-03-2005, 05:28 AM
You are UTG with T500.

6-handed, blinds 50/100

Standard SNG payout and let's assume that this is a 50+5.

No reads.

Everyone else is even stacked.

What is the worst hand you will push here?

What is the worst hand you will push here with T400? T300? T200?

quinn
08-03-2005, 05:23 PM
b

Afterh0urs
08-03-2005, 08:18 PM
78s.

I'm taking advantage of whatever fold equity I have left while I still have it.

But, in actuality, I'd very rarely let myself get to this point, because I despise UTG steals with a short stack. Against decent players, this move just screams of desperation. I would've prolly pushed any two UTG+1.

DMACM
08-03-2005, 08:58 PM
This is interesting to me because I think that this is something that falls outside of the realm of SNGPT's capabilities to fully explain. Is 5xbb the magic number where ud push any 2 utg and would u still do it with 5 or 7 opponents left?

Afterh0urs
08-03-2005, 09:13 PM
I wouldn't push any two UTG. I was saying that I wouldn't willingly let my stack get to the point where I need to push UTG because it is standard for me to, especially when I have a tight image at the table, to make a steal play in the less traditional steal spots (UTG+1, middle position).

In the aforementioned situation, everyone else had 1500 chips, so if I wait too much longer, them calling me wouldn't put much of a dent into their stacks, so they would be calling me more often. I don't want them calling me, so I'm making this move whenever the greatest chance for a fold presents itself. Also, the reason why I like pushing with hands like 78s is because even if I'm called, I can always make a hand, regardless of how strong the hand calling me is.

As far as your question goes, 5XBB is not a magic number. While I'm interested in the blinds of course, my main interest is in the stacks of the other players. Fold equity is your major weapon in SNGs so when you start to get short, it becomes a case of "use it or lose it."

With 7 players left, I would've made my play from either 2-3 off the button. In fact, having 7 players left would be a more optimal environment for stealing, assuming players have even stacks, since the average stack would be around 1360 instead of 1500, and I would have even more fold equity.