PDA

View Full Version : moss and keller suffering in their old age?

DavidC
08-03-2005, 04:21 AM
I'm curious, and I hope I don't offend any of the "established" poker players who may have known these guys personally, but is there any articles that I can read online that detail Moss living on Binion's charity or Keller playing the 4-8 games?

I'm really curious.

I googled it, and found out that Keller's dead, but other than that, I can't find any of the "gritty" stuff about these guys.

--Dave.

dogmeat
08-03-2005, 01:47 PM
You won't find any "gritty" stuff on Moss - his play deteriorated as he aged. He was born in 1907 and as I recall, played well in the 1985 WSOP (where he would have been 78 years old). He made an awful lot of money, and gave his wife a good share of it - and she invested in things like apartment buildings, so I don't think they were ever really hurting for cash.

For Treetop, here is a link to a story: http://www.pokernews.com/news/2005/06/poker-legends-treetop-jack-straus.htm

And there are stories on on other players (like Moss) if you click their name, or go to poker news and then legends of poker.

Dogmeat /images/graemlins/spade.gif

cwsiggy
08-03-2005, 02:11 PM
There is the famous story of a big tme player who at the end of his career was playing $2-$4 and when asked said "it's action isn't it" I just can't remember who that was. Not Moss though...

dogmeat
08-03-2005, 02:22 PM
That quote is attributed to Nick the Greek in an article by Ralph Pearl - but I think he was playing craps for $1 a throw. Also an article on Nick at pokernews as shown with a link in my last response.

Dogmeat /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Daliman
08-03-2005, 03:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There is the famous story of a big tme player who at the end of his career was playing $2-$4 and when asked said "it's action isn't it" I just can't remember who that was. Not Moss though...

[/ QUOTE ]

That was Nick "The Greek" Dandolos.

TylerD
08-03-2005, 04:43 PM
was he the one who won or lost the first big game at Binions?

MyMindIsGoing
08-03-2005, 04:51 PM
Moss won millions from Dandalos heads up. They played for months.

http://www.williamhillpoker.com/times-4-28.htm

Moneyline
08-03-2005, 05:37 PM
Jack Keller and Jack Strauss were not the same person.