PDA

View Full Version : KK laydown - preflop - UB 200NL

Mur
08-03-2005, 02:19 AM
UB NL200, 10 handed. I've been at the table for maybe 40 hands. The villain in this hand had never gotten out of line and seemed pretty tight overall & passive.. He always got out of the way when big pots occured and never really left an impression. The hand, then my thoughts:

Hero $230 / Villain ~$150

Hero: Kd Ks
Pre-flop:

Player1 calls. Hero raises to $6. Player2 folds. Player3 folds. Player4 folds. Player5 folds.
Player6 calls. Villain re-raises to $21.
Player1 folds. Player6 folds. Hero re-raises to
$36. Player2 folds. Villain goes all-in for
$160. Hero folds. Villian is returned $124
(uncalled).

No rake is taken for this hand.
Villian wins $82.

Ok my thoughts. His initial raise could have been AA-JJ, possibly AK. In this game I really see AK calling and probably JJ as well. My reraise should narrow down my range of holdings for him, namely AA or KK. This doesn't appear to scare him one bit and he insta pushes.

Keeping in mind, this is UB 200NL - you don't see too many AK or QQ/JJ all ins.

Good fold or you play this different?

calmasahinducow
08-03-2005, 02:31 AM
Meh, I don't play at UB, but I see all-ins with AK, QQ, and JJ all the time at Stars and Party at 200 and 400 (although I only play SH). I woulda called because I don't think I will ever lay down KK preflop heads up against an opponent at a limit less than 400, however with his tight and passive table image (although this means almost nothing through 40 hands) and the possibility that people really do play tighter at UB, I don't strongly dislike your fold although I would have called and shrugged it off if he showed AA.

pzhon
08-03-2005, 02:34 AM
Good fold. You have to ask yourself how often a tight, passive player would do this with QQ or AK. Unless you have been raising every hand, it is much more likely that he has AA than QQ, easily enough to fold when you are only getting about 3:2.

I don't like your minimum reraise. You are letting weaker hands call for set/bluff value. If you aren't willing to put in a larger reraise, just call. I would probably do that here and lose it all, but I'll get more when he has QQ.

swolfe
08-03-2005, 02:41 AM
why did you min-reraise?

Mur
08-03-2005, 02:41 AM
pzhon: The main reason for my min-reraise was to see if it slows him down or gets him to start thinking. I figured he'd call with hands I dominated or min-raise me back / push with AA. I regret not being able to see a flop to try to catch a set.. at the same time I wonder if I wouldn't have lost more if he bet $25-$35/street.

calmasahinducow
08-03-2005, 02:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Good fold. You have to ask yourself how often a tight, passive player would do this with QQ or AK. Unless you have been raising every hand, it is much more likely that he has AA than QQ, easily enough to fold when you are only getting about 3:2.

I don't like your minimum reraise. You are letting weaker hands call for set/bluff value. If you aren't willing to put in a larger reraise, just call. I would probably do that here and lose it all, but I'll get more when he has QQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really disagree with anything in your post but there are tight/passive opponents who pull this crap all the time with QQ/AK. Once I had a guy who was 8/0 through 80 hands and he open raised and then pushed after I reraised my AA from the big blind. Checking the hand history, I was very surprised to see that he had 66.

Mur
08-03-2005, 02:51 AM
My logic aside.. what do you folks generally do in this situation with KK. Play it any different? I have the impression that my min-raise was not a popular move..

calmasahinducow
08-03-2005, 03:01 AM
I push there about 100% of the time.

08-03-2005, 03:11 AM
Mur: right or wrong, you showed a lot of discipline and put your trust in your read. NH.

I play at Party $50 and $100, and there we see all-ins with just about any pocket pair (depending on stack size), AK, and, every now and again, bizarre stuff like QTs.

Also, I am a pretty new player, so I follow a simple rule: I always try to get all my money in with KK. I play it preflop exactly like AA preflop. I pay off AA every now and again, but somewhat more often, I beat QQ or AK. I simply do not trust my ability to put a guy on a hand enough to lay down kings.

The added benefit for me is that when I get all my money in preflop, I can't be outplayed after the flop.

Verdi
08-03-2005, 04:42 AM
I think it was a good fold. It takes strength to fold that hand preflop.

There are only two possible scenarios here. Either he puts you on AK and pushes with any pocket pair or either he has AA.

My money is on him having AA. I don't think he would be that confident with AK or a lower pocket pair.