PDA

View Full Version : Learning a language

DeezNuts
08-03-2005, 01:35 AM
I am thinking of learning a language that I have been meaning to become more fluent in, and have been researching a bit on the internet about. I already have a basic understanding of the language, but nowhere near conversational fluency. I also encounter the language frequently enough to practice on a semi-regular basis.

Going to class on weeknights is not realistic for me, as I get out of work post-7pm many nights of the week and most classes start around 6-7pm and only M-F, so I am looking more towards the Audio CD method.

The old-school method of repetition does not appeal to me and doesn't seem to be time-effective, as there is a more modern method called "Pimsleur". Has anyone ever used this or any other method and found it to be effective? The reviews on some of the sites from places like the LA and NY Times seem very positive.

Just hoping for any feedback for people that have learned a new language through audio CDs to verify that there are methods that can work. Thanks.

DN

08-03-2005, 01:45 AM
I've used Berlitz with positive results.

sexdrugsmoney
08-03-2005, 01:47 AM
Pimsleur kicks ass, I've tried many a language learning program but the only one that has sunk into my brain is Pimsleur, it's well worth whatever they charge for it.

Riskwise
08-03-2005, 02:03 AM
if your over the age of like 16 its too little to late.
no more language acquisition device.

OtisTheMarsupial
08-03-2005, 02:29 AM
Move to a country that speaks the language you want to learn. That's your best bet.

Riskwise
08-03-2005, 02:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Move to a country that speaks the language you want to learn. That's your best bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

IHateKeithSmart
08-03-2005, 02:50 AM
Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Luzion
08-03-2005, 03:00 AM
I just googled Pimsleur so I would know what system you guys are talking about. Now I know that Pimsleur is the system where you listen to someone speak the language on tape, and then you repeat the same phrases.

How well does it work though? How long would it take someone to have a very basic conversation with someone speaking the language they are learning?

sexdrugsmoney
08-03-2005, 03:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
if your over the age of like 16 its too little to late.
no more language acquisition device.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not true.

While it has been proven that children learn at a much rapid speed than adults, adults can still learn a language it just takes longer and requires more effort.

jakethebake
08-03-2005, 08:36 AM
Try a search too. We've done this thread several times.

DeezNuts
08-03-2005, 09:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually don't like to make one-line snipes that permeate this board, but thank you for the most obvious answer in the world.

DN

DeezNuts
08-03-2005, 10:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Try a search too. We've done this thread several times.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whenever I use the search option, it seems to pull up a jillion threads, of which 99% are not anywhere close to being relevant for what I am looking. What parameters should I use to come up with the best, most relevant results? "Learning a new language" in OOT turned up just a crapload of junk. I think many feel the same way, although there is a strong majority that is simply too lazy to even check.

I try not to do the weekly "What is the best Simpson's line" thread, but have yet to see anything recently on language learning.

DN

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-03-2005, 10:12 AM
My wife's family is Croatian and they took to wanting to learn the language. They had a guy come to her aunt's house once a week and he taught about 6 or 7 of them Croatian right from her kitchen. I don't think it was all that expensive and I think he's actually doing it for free as a friend now. I'd imagine you could work out something similar if you want to get a few people together.