PDA

View Full Version : Am I a moron?

Pat Southern
08-03-2005, 01:31 AM
Limping with mediocre hands was the norm at this table, especially the UTG guy, he was terrible (including calling allins).

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t2000 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP2 (t73510)
MP3 (t26629)
CO (t14080)
Button (t32300)
SB (t43364)
Hero (t24384)
UTG (t40970)
UTG+1 (t57841)
MP1 (t58010)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls t2000, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 calls t2000, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls t2000, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t24284[/color

Laomedon
08-03-2005, 01:35 AM
No, I watched this hand. I liked that play, how could you know Omar "I call an apparent blind-steal with Q8o for a third of my stack" Aces would do what he did (I'm not being specific for the sake of discussion although I probably made it pretty obvious)? You're drawing live if you get called by KQ, etc... and a high percentage of the time, you take it down uncontested. Well done.

ekky
08-03-2005, 01:38 AM
I like to see a flop here. If you had a pos hand like A/9.. it would have more merit.. but i like seeing the flop and nutting out and busting someone.

Lloyd
08-03-2005, 01:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I like to see a flop here. If you had a pos hand like A/9.. it would have more merit.. but i like seeing the flop and nutting out and busting someone.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, no, no (the A9 comment). You'd much prefer to have a smaller suited connector than Ax. Ax (even as high as A9) can often be dominated by AT or AJ in a situation like this. A middle connector is not a bad hand to push with and I like it in this situation.

Hotrod0823
08-03-2005, 01:43 AM
I think the key to that reply is the POS hand like ...

He is saying the small suited is better to see the flop but A9x is better to win PF with a push.

billyjex
08-03-2005, 01:48 AM
i actually like this play. too bad it didnt work out for ya.

ekky
08-03-2005, 01:48 AM
I think I kinda mis-lead my intentions. In this situation.. I would love to see a flop with 7/8 s00ted. I would much prefer to jam here with a hand that figures to rank pretty weakly multiway. (hence the A/9 hand)

A9 was a shot in the dark hand that came to mind.. but with 6/7 suited,I personally would prefer checking and taking a flop.

the jam is a fine play also, but I like the thought of hitting a disguised hand and getting some good action. Free flops with such hands dont come along very often, Id prefer to try and take advantage of it.

Is this maligned?

Lloyd
08-03-2005, 01:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the key to that reply is the POS hand like ...

He is saying the small suited is better to see the flop but A9x is better to win PF with a push.

[/ QUOTE ]
I understood, and I disagree. If I knew I was going to get called I'd prefer to have 76s then A9. For example, A9o has 28% equity versus a hand like TT. 76s has 21% equity, not far off. Factor in the liklihood of a call by AT-AQ (which A9 is a 2.7 to 1 dog versus 76s as a 1.5 to 1 dog) and I'll take the suited connector.

ekky
08-03-2005, 02:00 AM
Right.. but I am talking about the trade off between the Jam equity vs staying in the pot.

If you compare a non descript hand vs the SC.. the SC will have more equity if you are called when jamming.. but if you compare the equity of x hand vs the SC if you just check.. the nature of the hand gives you opportunities abound of winning a nice pot.

Seeing as the whole point of the BB jam is to pick up the pot.. I dont think the hand strength is of huuuuuuge importance.. but merely I would like to see a flop with the SC.. but would have no interest with the A/9... or whatever raggedy pos hand you insert.

ekky
08-03-2005, 02:12 AM
ok i thought about this a little more.

Seeing as we expect the table to fold... jamming with any two cards is clearly going to be +EV here..

My contention is this. IF we jam with the SC.. our EV is going to be X.. if we jam with any rag hand.. our EV will be Y.. but I think that by checking in the BB with 6/7 suited, the net ChipEV gain is going to be bigger then X-Y.

Naturally I could be dead wrong here.. but on first glance it looks/feels ok.

Potowame
08-03-2005, 02:26 AM
Overall I think it is a good play, you have to grit your teeth and make plays like this for several reasons.

I would perfer that players Dont limp my BB, I am out of position and forced to play the hand. If players do not fear a raise from your BB, they will limp it freely. Well timed plays like this Make players think twice about limping with blinds this high on your BB. Its funny but If you didnt have to show this down it more than likly would have folded around to you on your next BB.

The other reasons are of course you will pick up the pot a large amount of times and suck out quit often also if called.

Finally it makes a nice set up if you ever get AA-KK on your BB.

The only problem I see with the hand is your read of UTG ,

[ QUOTE ]
Limping with mediocre hands was the norm at this table, especially the UTG guy, he was terrible (including calling allins).

[/ QUOTE ]

Since this read made it highly likly UTG was going to call with any hand he limped, I am not so sure I would make this move with him in the pot.

Lloyd
08-03-2005, 02:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
ok i thought about this a little more.

Seeing as we expect the table to fold... jamming with any two cards is clearly going to be +EV here..

My contention is this. IF we jam with the SC.. our EV is going to be X.. if we jam with any rag hand.. our EV will be Y.. but I think that by checking in the BB with 6/7 suited, the net ChipEV gain is going to be bigger then X-Y.

Naturally I could be dead wrong here.. but on first glance it looks/feels ok.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think so based on:

X(c)^2 + Y/3 /cos(x+Y) = 1.000221 therefore 76s is better than A9o. Agreed.

ekky
08-03-2005, 02:28 AM
sigh.