PDA

View Full Version : Things I'm sick of... (low content, but if you're doing this, STOP)

kurto
08-03-2005, 01:25 AM
I know this is a weird rant but.... Bad play by others, whether I'm in the pot or not, really irks me. I know these are people who give you their money, but I still get irritated wondering how people can be this dumb.

How to irk me, let me count the ways...

1) 5 people limp in... someone minraises. Everyone calls. Every checks to the minraiser... he bets. He gets checkraised. He goes all in. His aces lose to 8-10 suited who flopped 2 pair.
2) Someone raises. 3-5 callers. $20 pot. Someone on the button WHO HAS THE OPPORTUNITY FOR A FREE CARD, bets $5. Folds to a reraise.
3) Player who always raises 4xbb. Suddenly one hand, he raises to 8xbb. Surprise, he has Aces.
4) A maniac raises literally every single hand. He always shows and its almost always crap. (a) people in early position limp in. Maniac raises like he does every single hand. All the limpers fold. Repeat. (b) Maniac bets every single flop. 9 out of 10 times, the people who called his preflop raise, fold. (maniac shows he has nothing or bottom pair or inside straight draw) Repeat.
5) flop has a pair (x88). 1 player bets. 4-5 callers. Bets every street. Everyone calls. CLEARLY THEY CAN'T ALL HAVE 8s or any chance of winning.
6) person X raises and is called by a tight player who NEVER bluffs. Person X has pocket 10s. Flop comes AK4. Tight player bets into X. X reraises. Tight Player puts him all in. X calls.
7) 4 cards to a flush are on the board. Person calls a huge river bet with 2-4 suited. Surprise, the 4 doesn't give you the nutflush.

Am I missing any?

I suppose this has some value because if you're doing any of this, you're playing HORRIBLY. And you're hurting my brain! /images/graemlins/blush.gif

08-03-2005, 01:34 AM
stop lurking at my table!

kurto
08-03-2005, 01:41 AM
If its you, then you have to be running a poker school, because I've seen many of your students.

I forgot one of my favorites I've seen a few times lately.

On the flop, A player bets, gets raised, he reraises ALL HIS MONEY EXCEPT $5 (5bb), gets called... the flop is like $80... then folds on the next street for his remaining $5. ???????

08-03-2005, 01:47 AM
I've always wondered about that $5 they don't push; I mean, they're at home so it isn't like they need cab fare...

Mackerel
08-03-2005, 01:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
4) A maniac raises literally every single hand. He always shows and its almost always crap. (a) people in early position limp in. Maniac raises like he does every single hand. All the limpers fold. Repeat. (b) Maniac bets every single flop. 9 out of 10 times, the people who called his preflop raise, fold. (maniac shows he has nothing or bottom pair or inside straight draw) Repeat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey! I resemble that remark! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

GrunchCan
08-03-2005, 02:09 AM
Maybe they are at an internet cafe.

ajmargarine
08-03-2005, 02:10 AM
8) Leading with a $1 bet into a $20 pot. Drives me crazy. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

fimbulwinter
08-03-2005, 02:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I know this is a weird rant but.... Bad play by others, whether I'm in the pot or not, really irks me. I know these are people who give you their money, but I still get irritated wondering how people can be this dumb.

How to irk me, let me count the ways...

[/ QUOTE ]

let's roll

[ QUOTE ]
1) 5 people limp in... someone minraises. Everyone calls. Every checks to the minraiser... he bets. He gets checkraised. He goes all in. His aces lose to 8-10 suited who flopped 2 pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

if the guy is minraising with AA and KK (as can often be seen at very small games) call with pretty much any two.

if the guy is minraising sooted trash, aj, kt etc. you should be threebetting the field fairly frequently for free money.

[ QUOTE ]
2) Someone raises. 3-5 callers. $20 pot. Someone on the button WHO HAS THE OPPORTUNITY FOR A FREE CARD, bets $5. Folds to a reraise.

[/ QUOTE ]

make him your buddy and use him to checkraise the whole field when you flop a big draw.

[ QUOTE ]
3) Player who always raises 4xbb. Suddenly one hand, he raises to 8xbb. Surprise, he has Aces.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love it when these guys get 200BB's

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sit to his left and isolate him with 3bets or sit to his right and use him to checkraise the field.

[ QUOTE ]
5) flop has a pair (x88). 1 player bets. 4-5 callers. Bets every street. Everyone calls. CLEARLY THEY CAN'T ALL HAVE 8s or any chance of winning.

[/ QUOTE ]

just make sure you're abusing this free money while it lasts. it goes away at the bigger games.

[ QUOTE ]
6) person X raises and is called by a tight player who NEVER bluffs. Person X has pocket 10s. Flop comes AK4. Tight player bets into X. X reraises. Tight Player puts him all in. X calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's called snapping off a semibluff, bro. you wouldn't understand.

[ QUOTE ]
7) 4 cards to a flush are on the board. Person calls a huge river bet with 2-4 suited. Surprise, the 4 doesn't give you the nutflush.

Am I missing any?

[/ QUOTE ]

they were bluffing, duh. all good players bluff like all the time. the bad NL cash game players are the non-bluffers who fold a lot.

[ QUOTE ]

I suppose this has some value because if you're doing any of this, you're playing HORRIBLY. And you're hurting my brain! /images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

this is wrong, if you're doing these things, especially in my game, you are playing like a pro and shouldn't worry about the short term downward variance you've been experiencing. it hapens to all really good players.

fim

kurto
08-03-2005, 11:44 AM
A few things-
First- in regards to playing against these players, I know they're bad and giving away money, I'm only saying when you see people giving away their money, it sometimes irritates me. I can't understand what's going in their mind.

I don't think your comments supporting what they are doing are valid at the $50 or $100 tables I'm playing at. For instance:
1) "It's called snapping off a semibluff, bro. you wouldn't understand." When the Tight Rock (who never bluffs) calls a preflop raise and bets into pf better when the board has a 2 overcards... the 10s are toast. I DO understand and would make such plays against the right player. But I've sat at tables where people won't put in a dime post flop unless they're certain they're likely to have the best hand NOW (ie, they don't semibluff draws). Against this player, the 10s are drawing to 2 outs.

2) [ QUOTE ]
they were bluffing, duh. all good players bluff like all the time. the bad NL cash game players are the non-bluffers who fold a lot.

[/ QUOTE ] I suspect at the better tables, you're not having 5-6 players seeing every flop. Heads up, holding a 4 might be good enough. But at these tables, where half the table plays nearly any 2 suited and stays til the end with any flush draw, if there are 4 to a suited, your 4 is not going to win. And you're not going to get anyone who stuck around with the J/Q/K or A of that suit to fold.

3) "this is wrong, if you're doing these things, especially in my game, you are playing like a pro and shouldn't worry about the short term downward variance you've been experiencing. it hapens to all really good players." Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you play against better players and at higher limits. At the $50 and $100 tables, the players are NOT sophisticated so all the things I've listed are terrible. The reason they irk me (when I'm not in the hand) is I'm studying the action, and I'm predicting who has what by their plays... and the people doing the stuff I've listed, I see (often before the hand is done) them giving away money needlessly. (Perhaps it irks me because I wish I was in the hand?)

If I was playing against a bunch of pros and they bet did any of the above actions, I might stop and have to ponder what it means. But when I see it at the tables I'm playing at, its always quite obvious. Why is he betting $4 into a $20 pot? Because he has a draw or bottom pair and wants to see if anyone else has anything... but he doesn't want to put any real money in so he'll fold to a raise. If it was a tricky player, they MIGHT make some pathetic bet begging for a reraise or their hand is so strong, and they have a lot of people in the hand, that he wants to build the pot without scaring anyone away. But that's not what I'm seeing, cause you raise them and they fold.

Regarding all the advice about playing against these players, I agree. I'm not in doubt about how to play against them. I'm just wondering what's going on in their heads.

Like the people who limp into the maniac and fold to his bets. Have they not noticed that he raised the last 15 hands? I want to understand.

djoyce003
08-03-2005, 11:49 AM
one of my favorites is say on the flop, idiot one leads for $2, idiot two minraises, idiot one min-reraises, idiot two min-re-reraises, then idiot one folds...WTF.

Ghazban
08-03-2005, 11:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
one of my favorites is say on the flop, idiot one leads for $2, idiot two minraises, idiot one min-reraises, idiot two min-re-reraises, then idiot one folds...WTF.

[/ QUOTE ]

I always double check the table heading when this happens to make sure I didn't mistakenly sit at a limit table.

djoyce003
08-03-2005, 11:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I always double check the table heading when this happens to make sure I didn't mistakenly sit at a limit table.

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO

imported_anacardo
08-03-2005, 12:09 PM
One would think that, in over 2000 posts, you would have come to realize when you were being [censored] with. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

The kid-glove respect this 'fimbul' fellow gets is getting to be a bit much, consistent quality posts or no.

kurto
08-03-2005, 12:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
One would think that, in over 2000 posts, you would have come to realize when you were being [censored] with.

[/ QUOTE ] You might think so. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

It never crossed my mind he might be joking. I found it odd, but it crossed my mind that he might play at tables where more then half the table regularly sees a flop. So, bluffing makes more sense heads up, etc.

The more I think about it, I think you're right. He was f'ing with me.

GoCubsGo
08-03-2005, 12:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Am I missing any?

[/ QUOTE ]

An addendum to 5 - when people chase flush draws on a paired board. And one that I'm not sick of but actually really like taking advantage of is people suddenly assume their midpair weak kicker is good if the flop is checked. I think I make more with a pair of aces and a weak kicker from EP than I do with a strong pair of aces from LP. I usually check the flop and if nobody bets, I lead the turn and get called by all sorts of garbage.

pottie
08-03-2005, 04:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

He was f'ing with me.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh fim

vulturesrow
08-03-2005, 04:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually type in chat "You guys know this ia no-limit table right?"

Malachii
08-03-2005, 05:00 PM
Fim has a sense of humor?!

gulebjorn
08-03-2005, 05:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Fim has a sense of humor?!

[/ QUOTE ]

Certainly looks like it. Who knows, maybe he'll start using smileys in his posts from now on /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

fimbulwinter
08-03-2005, 05:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A few things-
First- in regards to playing against these players, I know they're bad and giving away money, I'm only saying when you see people giving away their money, it sometimes irritates me. I can't understand what's going in their mind.

I don't think your comments supporting what they are doing are valid at the $50 or $100 tables I'm playing at. For instance:
1) "It's called snapping off a semibluff, bro. you wouldn't understand." When the Tight Rock (who never bluffs) calls a preflop raise and bets into pf better when the board has a 2 overcards... the 10s are toast. I DO understand and would make such plays against the right player. But I've sat at tables where people won't put in a dime post flop unless they're certain they're likely to have the best hand NOW (ie, they don't semibluff draws). Against this player, the 10s are drawing to 2 outs.

2) [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I suspect at the better tables, you're not having 5-6 players seeing every flop. Heads up, holding a 4 might be good enough. But at these tables, where half the table plays nearly any 2 suited and stays til the end with any flush draw, if there are 4 to a suited, your 4 is not going to win. And you're not going to get anyone who stuck around with the J/Q/K or A of that suit to fold.

3) "this is wrong, if you're doing these things, especially in my game, you are playing like a pro and shouldn't worry about the short term downward variance you've been experiencing. it hapens to all really good players." Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you play against better players and at higher limits. At the $50 and $100 tables, the players are NOT sophisticated so all the things I've listed are terrible. The reason they irk me (when I'm not in the hand) is I'm studying the action, and I'm predicting who has what by their plays... and the people doing the stuff I've listed, I see (often before the hand is done) them giving away money needlessly. (Perhaps it irks me because I wish I was in the hand?)

If I was playing against a bunch of pros and they bet did any of the above actions, I might stop and have to ponder what it means. But when I see it at the tables I'm playing at, its always quite obvious. Why is he betting $4 into a $20 pot? Because he has a draw or bottom pair and wants to see if anyone else has anything... but he doesn't want to put any real money in so he'll fold to a raise. If it was a tricky player, they MIGHT make some pathetic bet begging for a reraise or their hand is so strong, and they have a lot of people in the hand, that he wants to build the pot without scaring anyone away. But that's not what I'm seeing, cause you raise them and they fold.

Regarding all the advice about playing against these players, I agree. I'm not in doubt about how to play against them. I'm just wondering what's going on in their heads.

Like the people who limp into the maniac and fold to his bets. Have they not noticed that he raised the last 15 hands? I want to understand.

[/ QUOTE ]

wok wok wok

turn on your scarcasm detector...

for everyone's edification, the first half of the responses are (obviously) serious, the second half i didn't really have anything of value to add, so i tried to be funny.

come on, i thought at least the end would get a chuckle? no?
bueller?

fim

vulturesrow
08-03-2005, 05:31 PM
I thought it was good. You have to understand though, that Kurto is a hardcore liberal who has taken many shots in the Politics forum and thus he is somewhat cynical and jaded now, his sense of humor having withered on the vine. But other than that he is a pretty good dude. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

srm80
08-03-2005, 05:37 PM
i haven't read any of the replies yet, but shouldn't poker players described in the OP be putting you at ease and make you want to stay at a table until you can't keep your eyes open?

Niwa
08-03-2005, 05:55 PM
Dont listen to Kurto - He's allergic to money.

jaydub
08-04-2005, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No kidding. The whole post reeks of whining about how bad Internet players are. Uhh yeah, Internet players please stop sucking cause that would be so 1.4

Mike Peters
08-04-2005, 02:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Uhh yeah, Internet players please stop sucking cause that would be so 1.4

[/ QUOTE ]

Rocks and Rings is awesome.

Brad F.
08-04-2005, 02:59 PM
I'd have to add this one:

- 3x UTG bet from tight player. 3 callers. Flop comes 2-4-5 and 2 of the callers get all in with the UTG player. Callers both show an ace and UTG shows KK.

flopking
08-04-2005, 03:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
- 3x UTG bet from tight player. 3 callers. Flop comes 2-4-5 and 2 of the callers get all in with the UTG player. Callers both show an ace and UTG shows KK.

[/ QUOTE ]

cowboys get busted by wheels all the time...

aces_full
08-04-2005, 03:14 PM
Bad players do make you wonder.....

True story: I was the small blind with A4 offsuit in a 6-max game. The button is the only limper, I complete, BB checks. The flop is A48 rainbow, I bet pot,BB folds,button min-raises me. I think my hand is good and he's just going to have to show me A8 or a set, but more likely I put him on a top pair type hand and just call his raise. Turn is a rag and I fire again, he calls. Now I'm sure he can't beat me. I value bet the river, he calls again and actually is dumb enough to show his hand, KK, and then this moron types in the chat "I hate pocket KK, I always lose with them."

kurto
08-04-2005, 05:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That doesn't make sense. I'm listing bad plays and say don't do them. You're implying people SHOULD play badly. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

And I think you're missing my point. I KNOW these people give you their money and that is good. But that doesn't mean that it isn't irritating trying to watch people hurt themselves. I'm betting that you can't say you don't get irritated when you see idiotic behaviour repeated over and over again (not necessarily just at the poker table.)

intheflatfield
08-04-2005, 06:20 PM
Really, it amuses me more than it annoys me. That's entertainment value.