PDA

View Full Version : SH A2s

Ben
03-12-2003, 03:57 PM
.25/.50 at UltimateBet.

Playing a shorthanded table--three of us total.

I'm in BB with A /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 2 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif

Both call, I check.

Flop is
4 /forums/images/icons/club.gif 2 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 6 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif

UTG bets, I fold.

Any disagreement with my play?

Thanks,
Ben

Barry
03-12-2003, 04:18 PM
While I wouldn't, some aggressive players might have raised pre-flop. On the flop you have a pair with an A overcard, a back door flush and straight draws. Heck, shorthanded, you could very well have the best hand; if not it is still a good semibluff opportunity. I'd bet out the flop and let them fold. Having checked, I'd call, might even checkraise looking for a free card.

Ed Miller
03-12-2003, 05:52 PM
I'd bet the flop for sure in your situation. You have a pair with an overcard and some backdoor possibilities.

Nottom
03-12-2003, 06:28 PM
With plays like that you will quickly see you bankroll shrink away if you continue to play SH ... I would raise the flop most of the time with your Ace and Backdoor straight and flush potential. Plus you most likely have the best hand at the moment with a flop like that.

Shorthanded games are much more aggressive than a standard ring game ... if you aren't ready for them, stay away.

Ben
03-12-2003, 06:34 PM
Yeah--it seems I'm not quite ready for SH.

I can consistently beat the ring games fairly well, but have lost tons shorthanded.

Are there any good resources you can recommend to prepare for playing SH?

Nottom
03-13-2003, 12:03 AM
There's a brief section on it in HEFAP which may help a little, but I'm not aware of anything dedicated to shorthanded play.

SoBeDude
03-13-2003, 12:30 AM
I find the SH section in HPFAP to be woefully inadequate. The majority of the examples are of head's up play, not 4-5 handed.

When short-handed, middle or even bottom pairs have real value. Also playing to draws is problematic, because you'll rarely have the proper odds up front to chase. You may be able to justify a chase with implied odds though, but even they are very thin.

Also remember winning hands don't pay off like in a loose ring game. If only 1 player is with you in a hand, you're own money is about 50% of the pot. a few bad plays and you're going to be losing more than you make on your winners.

Stick to ring games for a while.

-Scott