PDA

View Full Version : Fold when flop missed?

Ben
03-12-2003, 03:52 PM
I'm at UTG+1 with QhKc in .25/.50 at Ultimatebet.

I open raise, called by UTG+2, button and SB.

Flop: 2c Ad 7h

SB bets, I call, UTG+2 folds, button calls.
(Should I have folded here?)

Turn: 2c Ad 7h 2d
SB bets, I call, button folds.
(Surely I should have folded here)

River: 2c Ad 7h 2d Th
SB bets and I fold.
(Way too late, right)

I'm pretty sure I should have folded this way back at the flop. SB bets into me as PFR--seems like he's not afraid.

You guys agree?

Thanks for the help.
-Ben

haakee
03-12-2003, 04:02 PM
Yeah, fold the flop there are no real draws, so SB likely has an ace. Also, there are two unknowns left to act behind you. I probably wouldn't raise pre-flop from early position either -- KQo is barely playable UTG+1.

haakee
03-12-2003, 04:17 PM
I wouldn't raise KQo UTG + 1 unless I thought I had a half-decent chance of being heads-up vs. a blind or winning the blinds outright. I would open-raise w/it in middle position, though in most situations.

Ben
03-12-2003, 04:38 PM
Why wouldn't you raise KQo in EP?

Are you worried about a reraise?

Not trying to question if you're right or not, I honestly don't know.

butters
03-12-2003, 04:58 PM
from early position, it's too easy to be called/3-bet by a hand that dominates yours (ie: any hand with an A). also, you'll be out of position for the rest of the hand. wait until you've got fewer opponents behind you to open-raise (unless you're playing on a tight table, as noted above).

Bubmack
03-12-2003, 05:55 PM
Dont be the guy that plays all black jack hands. Often they are the worst hands to play against a raiser or out of position- due to the possibility that you are dominated.

Also, rarely would you ever call two undercards? Fold 'em your just about drawing dead.

Bubs

Ed Miller
03-12-2003, 05:58 PM
You should fold the flop. There are no reasonable draws on this board, so his bet represents an Ace. Even if he doesn't have an Ace, he almost certainly has a made hand of some kind, and you are drawing to six outs. Plus, someone behind you might have an Ace as well. This is an easy flop fold.

Nottom
03-12-2003, 06:00 PM
I would probably raise the flop to knock out the rest of the field in case SB doesn't have the ace. If he has one he will either re-raise you (unlikely in most micro-limit games I've played in) or more likely will cower into his hole and let you see the river for no more bets.

**Note: this advice is pretty shady in general, but considering the average opponent at these limits it works more often than you would think***

Ed Miller
03-12-2003, 06:02 PM
Blah. KQo is profitable from EP in your microlimit game for sure. Keep playing it... and feel free to bring it in for a raise. I don't understand what the obsession on this board is with folding profitable hands preflop... I think some people are more interested in "staying out of trouble" than they are in playing.

Bob T.
03-12-2003, 06:06 PM
I like to bring KQ off in for a raise. Big offsuit cards are going to play better in shorthanded pots. If I get called or three bet from late position, then I have to play poker and figure out how much trouble I am in, if at all. But that is what the game is all about anyway.

bernie
03-13-2003, 12:16 AM
if you were going to see the turn, youd have saved chips this hand by raising the flop....do you see why?

but it looks like a flop fold to me...

b

JTG51
03-13-2003, 01:14 AM
I think you, Bob T, and I just agreed about this topic the other day. I like agreeing with smart people, so I'm going to do it again.

In the game I usually play in, I think folding KQo UTG would be a big mistake. I raise it the majority af the time. As long as I keep getting cold called by KJ, KT, QJ, etc, I'll keep raising it. If I get 3-bet, I know I've got to be very careful.

I like folding, but I like raising more. I usually look for a reason to fold before the flop. If I can't find one, I look for a reason to raise. KQo almost always falls into the raise category.

Grivan
03-13-2003, 02:06 AM
I'm going to disagree and say if he isn't a good enough post-flop player to know he needs to fold this in a multiway pot when he misses the flop, then playing KQo probably isn't goign to be a profitable play from early position. This is a hand that requires the flop to hit it pretty squarly in micro limits you want top pair and hope to improve or better.

Ed Miller
03-13-2003, 03:54 AM
Eh.. he's gonna have to learn to play well postflop in marginal situations at some point. I'm of the "trial by fire" school. Put yourself in marginal situations and learn from your mistakes. Just do that at low limits and you'll be fine.