PDA

View Full Version : Standard SNG situation?

08-02-2005, 10:55 PM
Party Poker 22+2 SNG

Blinds 100/200
5 Players: stacks after blinds posted

UTG: 1295
Hero: 4045
Button: 795
SB: 1210
BB: 655

Hero has 6h8h.

UTG folds. Hero raises to 600 for a blind steal. Fold. SB goes all in. BB folds. Hero calls 610 to take a shot at winning 2010.

I called for the pot odds and because I could spare the chips. I wonder, however, if this was sound general strategy. What if my stack were smaller?

Beyond the specific hand, when stealing blinds late in an SNG, do you still need some kind of raising or calling standards? Or is this the advantage of having a big stack?

bmxreed36
08-02-2005, 11:00 PM
Given the stack sizes here, any reraise by anyone will be called by you with the pot odds so the standard raise is simply a push. It's fine that you are trying to bully with your big stack, however the sb has the least chips left with a third invested in his blind so he is likely to call with a very wide range of hands if not any two. Given this and the weakness of your hand, I'm pretty sure this is a fold situation from the start. You want to mostly be putting pressure on the two stacks that have 1000+ chips who will have the tightest calling standards.

MegaBet
08-02-2005, 11:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
this is a fold situation from the start.

[/ QUOTE ]

08-02-2005, 11:05 PM
Pot odds demand a call.

08-02-2005, 11:08 PM
But I agree with the others: not worth the steal attempt, especially from the cutoff, given your stack and that hand.

lorinda
08-02-2005, 11:25 PM
If you really wanted to steal this, I think a miniraise would have worked just as well, except you could have folded to a SB push.

Given the BB's short stack, I don't think it's the right play anyway, but if the BB had a few more chips, a mini raise might work nicely here.

Lori

08-03-2005, 12:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you really wanted to steal this, I think a miniraise would have worked just as well, except you could have folded to a SB push.

Given the BB's short stack, I don't think it's the right play anyway, but if the BB had a few more chips, a mini raise might work nicely here.

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't a minimum raise indicate weakness or a blatant attempt to steal blinds? (Especially if I haven't min raised the entire game.) I'm thinking that opponenets sensing weakness might not be an important concern because they either aren't that savvy at the 22s or are looking to eek into the money by going all in with a decent holding.

Also, are you saying that blind stealing should be much more dependent on the stack sizes of the blinds rather than position? For instance, if SB and BB have medium stacks and I'm UTG with a big stack, should I go for a blind steal hoping two other players in between with short stacks fold?

Hornacek
08-03-2005, 12:45 PM
Remember, its much easier to steal blinds off of a medium stack who is trying to get into the money. The small stacks will play much more desparately, and pot odds demand they go All In on any reasonable hand, and your pot odds demand a call. Not a good situation.

However, stealing from medium stacks means that their reraises all in are for more money, which means pot odds do not necessarily facilitate an easy call.