PDA

View Full Version : Starbucks Caffeine Conundrum

Jeffage
08-02-2005, 10:02 PM
Ok, so I spend about $1000 a year at Starbucks...I'm sure I'm not the only one. What I find is that the hot drinks packs more of the caffeine rush that I need to function (cappucino, machiato, etc) but I sometimes prefer the iced drinks (frapuccino, iced lattes, etc). Unfortunately, these iced drinks do nothing for me buzz wize. I understand why for a frap (considering it's not all coffee) but for a machiato (espresso and milk with some caramel crap), why does it being cold affect the buzz I get? It shouldn't right? Is this psychological or reality?

As a side note, I just smoked a Padrone (cigar) and feel pretty much buzzed as hell as I type this. It is so excellent...I wish they weren't bad for you...I'd smoke one every day of my life on my balcony and be quite happy with it.

Jeff

RacersEdge
08-02-2005, 10:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, so I spend about $1000 a year at Starbucks..

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. Are they still franchising?

pokertonbear1
08-03-2005, 03:16 AM
I only drink iced coffee...don't like the hot stuff. But I agree, Starbucks iced is really hit or miss. Sometimes it's rocket fuel and other times it doesn't even perk me up. Maybe it depends on the barista?

Sidenote: Why is it so difficult to get a consistant cup of coffee at Starbucks? I always get the same thing so why is it either awesome or awful?

midas
08-03-2005, 07:49 AM
I agree with you on the iced coffee at SB that's why my drink of choice is iced grande americano - 3 espresso shots and a little water with ice.

If that drink doesn't jump start your morning - you're probably dead.

68Mustang
08-03-2005, 08:08 AM
Had an iced mocha at 9pm. It's no 5am and I'm stuck in a mtt ... wired as hell.. another Starbucks allnighter.

08-03-2005, 03:35 PM
As a side note, I just smoked a Padrone (cigar) and feel pretty much buzzed as hell as I type this. It is so excellent...I wish they weren't bad for you...I'd smoke one every day of my life on my balcony and be quite happy with it.

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I love the cigar buzz, you get from smoking good cigars. BTW, if for any reason you want to lessen the cigar buzz, eat something sweet.

BruinEric
08-03-2005, 04:04 PM
I'm fairly sure the "best" buzz/money ratio at Starbucks is the drip coffee. This stuff has a much higher amount of caff then you are getting at home or at the 7-11.

If you're looking to save money, fat grams, and calories, then buy yourself a Grande Coffee and have half now and the other half iced with milk & choco syrup or Quik later.

Aces McGee
08-03-2005, 04:11 PM
what kind of Padron?

-McGee

Indiana
08-03-2005, 04:14 PM
Yah, I am also very hooked on bucks. Gotta have one every day or my chit is phucked. Cigars are a bigger chunk of my budget though. I do a padron,julieta, or montecristo about every other day or so...

Indy

2+2 wannabe
08-03-2005, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sidenote: Why is it so difficult to get a consistant cup of coffee at Starbucks? I always get the same thing so why is it either awesome or awful?

[/ QUOTE ]

are you talking specialty coffee or regular coffee?

if it's specialty coffee it's almost certainly the amount of time the espresso takes coming out of the espresso machine (i.e. how firmly it is packed down by the barista). a good barista is very consistent - between 18 and 23 seconds is Starbucks' limit of time it takes - but the taste difference between 18 and 23 seconds is significant. a good barista is almost always at 21 seconds, the desireable level. it may be how the milk is steamed as well, but it's almost certainly the espresso.

if it's regular coffee it's almost certainly the time that it's been out for. they have pre-packaged coffee and set levels for each size - so the barista has nothing to do with its actual creation

p.s. i worked at starbucks for an extended period of time

Nigel
08-03-2005, 04:25 PM
Jeff,

Try Prolab caffeine pills. 2-3 of those with coffee and your face starts to tingle and you'll feel like you're on crack. Trust me, you'll love it - it's an awesome buzz.

Nigel

Jeffage
08-04-2005, 09:22 AM
Lol...I have enough vices thank you very much /images/graemlins/smirk.gif.

Jeff

Jeffage
08-04-2005, 09:26 AM
Ok, I am trying this today after lunch. And it only has 25 calories too...NICE. Do you tell them 3 shots or is that what they give you by default?

Jeff

Jeffage
08-04-2005, 09:27 AM
Good tip...some of my friends get nauseous from cigars even though they otherwise like them. Maybe this will help them. Me, I'll take the cigar buzz all day, everyday...love it.

Jeff

Jeffage
08-04-2005, 09:28 AM
Dunno...my roommate picked them up. I was so overjoyed with the prospect of a free premium cigar after a shite day at work, I just smoked the thing with a big grin on my face.

Jeff

midas
08-04-2005, 09:33 AM
The grande has 3 shots automatically but sometimes if they are not using the automatic machine they will add the fourth shot for free since they make espresso 2 shots at a time manually.

BTW, make sure they add the water or else you're just drinking iced espresso - a little two strong for my taste!!

ChipWrecked
08-04-2005, 09:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]

If you're looking to save money, fat grams, and calories, then buy yourself a Grande Coffee and have half now and the other half iced with milk & choco syrup or Quik later.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a great idea. I got a jar of Ovaltine just hanging around doing nothing.