PDA

View Full Version : AKs what to do?

Purple
03-12-2003, 02:25 PM
PokerStars NL Texas tournament.
We started with just under 200 players and we´re down to 34 (4 tables).
Top 18 players gets paid (2-58 times the byin).
The average stack is about 8600 and I have 6100.
At my table I have 3 shorter stacks (3000-5800) that are seated behind me and there is 5 stacks that covers me (7300-22800)
Many new players the last 10 minutes so I can´t say much about my oponets.
We are playing at level 8 with blinds of 200-400 and 50 ante. 1050 in the pott at start.

The first two players fold and the next raises to 1200 (with 12000), one caller (with 10000) and it up to me with Ac-Kc.
Behind me is four players, one who covers me.

Please rate my options from the worst to the best, and if possible, explain why?

A. Fold

B. Call

C. Raise the minimum to 2000 total

D. Raise about half my stack to 2800-3200 total.

E. Raise all-in.

ohkanada
03-12-2003, 03:02 PM
C. Raise the minimum to 2000 total - I would rate this as the worst option. Almost no chance your opponent folds.

B. Call - I don't like smooth calling a raise with AKs.

A. Fold - There may be reasons to fold but with your stack size this doesn't seem to be the time.

D. Raise about half my stack to 2800-3200 total - Raising 1/2 your stack and then betting the rest on the flop is an option, but you give your opponent an easy fold on the flop if they have a lower pair and an ace or king flops. When an ace or king does not flop your opponent is more likely to call your flop bet even with a smaller pair.

E. Raise all-in. - In this case I would raise all-in. Although there are only 2 tables left to bust before the money, you are short stacked and need chips. AKs is a fine hand. If your opponent folds, then that is fine as well.

Ken Poklitar

sdplayerb
03-12-2003, 04:01 PM
Due to there being two people in, I actually just call here.
One likely has a pair and the other has an A or K, so you only have 5 outs, then you are a much bigger dog, making this more of a drawing hand.
I especially think this since they are not late position, if so i'd push in (based on little info).

This is about the only time I smooth call in NL..and I'm not saying this is 100% correct.

I'd do that or fold.

I definitely wouldn't do the minimum raise.

ohkanada
03-12-2003, 04:10 PM
I missed the fact there was one caller after the raise.

C. Raise the minimum to 2000 total - I would rate this as the worst option. Almost no chance both your opponent folds.

D. Raise about half my stack to 2800-3200 total - With one cold-caller I also don't like this option.

A. Fold - There may be reasons to fold but with your stack size this doesn't seem to be the time.

B. Call - I don't like smooth calling a raise with AKs. With the raiser and a caller, this certainly has merits.

E. Raise all-in. - In this case I would raise all-in. Even with the raiser and a big stack who called, I would raise all-in.

Ken Poklitar

Ignatius
03-12-2003, 04:44 PM
ACDEB.
I prefer a call here as you usually have to hit your hand vs. 2 opponents, AKs plays very well multiway and you can afford to invest 1/5 of your stack to see the flop. The problem with moving in here is that you probably will get called by pairs but drive out hands that you dominate.
If you had less than $4000 left, I'd rather tend towards moving in to try to get it heads-up and assure that you charge your opponents the max and get to see the river.