PDA

View Full Version : An interesting debate sparked in HUSH

baronzeus
08-02-2005, 07:28 PM
It's not the same situation, but similar.

You hold Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif J/images/graemlins/club.gif in SB

Folded to a 50/10 (LPP) type player in late position (HJ, CO, button) who limps.

Do you complete or raise?

Give answers for:

A rockish BB (won't call without the goods)
A TAGish BB (won't call without proper EV)
A typical BB (probably will call with any decent hand)
A v. loose BB (will call with any two)

And give reasons if you have time.

bobdibble
08-02-2005, 07:38 PM
A rockish BB (won't call without the goods)
Raise -- your hand is probably best, but you don't want rock to hit his hand.

A TAGish BB (won't call without proper EV)
Raise -- TAG will have good odds to call, but raising makes it easier to play the hand post flop against the TAG.

A typical BB (probably will call with any decent hand)
Raise -- even easier to apply pressure to this guy post flop than it is against the TAG.

A v. loose BB (will call with any two)
Call -- BB is calling anyway. If you hit your hand the FTOP errors by BB and limper will be worse with a small pot.

baronzeus
08-02-2005, 07:43 PM
I said raise regardless of the opponent. There are multiple reasons, which include equity, isolation, and bad post flop play on opponents' parts.

I like your reasoning vs. a loose BB, but I think it's too dangerous not to exploit your +Equity preflop, especially if an over hits on the flop.

bobdibble
08-02-2005, 07:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I like your reasoning vs. a loose BB, but I think it's too dangerous not to exploit your +Equity preflop, especially if an over hits on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm betting any uncoordinated flop, especially if only 1 overcards flops. If I pick up a pair, I am betting. If I pick up a draw on the flop.. I am betting.... If I flop just overcards... I am betting. I'm betting lots of flops here.

One of the reasons to raise this pre-flop is to represent a K or an A if one falls.