PDA

View Full Version : On The Edge Part VI - JTs on button with 10xBB

AliasMrJones
08-02-2005, 07:05 PM
In the article, On The Edge Part VI, in this month's issue of the magazine, the following situation is discussed:

Using the Elements of a Hand format (Harrington on Hold 'em, Vol. 1, p. 18-23), let's look at a recent $30 buy-in no-limit sit-and-go:

1. What's the status of the tournament?
Four more need to be eliminated before anyone gets paid.
2. How many players are at your table?
Seven.
3. Who are the players at your table?
Me plus four passive and two aggressive players.
4. How does your stack compare to the blinds and the antes?
$1,050 with blinds of $50 and $100; there is no ante.
5. How big are the other stacks at your table?
One has over a thousand dollars more than I do; two have a few hundred more than I do; and three have a few hundred less.
6. Where do you sit in relation to the aggressive and passive players?
Two passive players are on my right, and two are on my left; the two aggressive players are sitting next to each other between the four passive players.
7. What bets have been made in front of you?
Passive No. 1 ($720) is in the small blind, Passive No. 2 ($740) is in the big blind, Aggressive No. 1 and No. 2 have both folded (this is the very first hand where both have folded; usually at least one is in there, if not both), Passive No. 3 ($1,295) has called the big blind, and Passive No. 4 has folded.
8. How many active players are left after you act?
Just the blinds: the small blind completes every time, and neither raises out of the blinds.
9. What are the pot odds?
Since the small blind will complete, I'm getting 3-to-1 on my money.
10. What is your position at the table after the flop?
Last to act.
11. What are your cards?
J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

This type of hand with this position plays best multiway, and I don't want to make it heads-up with the limper — or, worse, get reraised by a blind if I raise and he finds a big hand. It's better to see the flop and play correctly from there, especially since calling the big blind is putting 10 percent of my money into the pot.
-------------------------------------------

When I get to about 10xBB I cross a magical line where I no longer limp, I no longer make standard raises and my only thoughts are push or fold. Reading this article makes me wonder if this is correct. Do others limp here?

lastchance
08-02-2005, 07:14 PM
Yeah, I was wondering that myself. I just don't think it's good poker to call off a tenth of your stack, even in position, knowing you're going to see a flop with a hand like JTs.