PDA

View Full Version : Propositioned to paint/fix dents in car while driving around

scott8
08-02-2005, 06:30 PM
I own a 98 mustang which has one decent dent on the drivers side and is riddled with chipped paint and smaller dings elsewhere around the car. I love it in a way, because I beat the hell out of it and don't ever worry if something hits it, and it doesn't even look that bad.

I digress, however, because just now while dropping off some drycleaning, a guy pulled up to me and offered to fix the dent and touch up the whole car for 375$. This is the 4th time in one year that someone has offered to do this on the road. Usually, its someone yelling at me to pull over that they can fix my car cheap, or yelling at me while stopped at a light.
They always offer to fix it on the spot and have some story about this is their business, the guy today told me he was off work just today and had all the supplies, etc.

Anyway, it feels like some sort of scam, but maybe I'm not the one getting scammed, and instead its their repsective employers who they are stealing the materials from, or something.

But does anyone know anything about this? 375$ to fix the dent is a deal (I have been quoted 500$ from a shop where the guy is notoriously cheaper than everyone), let alone 375$ to take care of the whole car.

I almost went for it today, and it seems I will be approached again. They always offer to fix it in your presence. I asked the guy today for a card and he told me no it was only for today.

Anyway, wtf?

-SC

siccjay
08-02-2005, 06:34 PM
If they can do it on the spot right there quickly, I would think you could do it yourself.

asofel
08-02-2005, 06:35 PM
I know this may be hard to believe, but I've recently come into a large inheritance. My father's second-cousin was adopted by a tribal chief in the Congo. He has since passed away and I have a large amount of gold I need to convert into money. If you are interested in this, it will only cost you $350 to file forms to become a joint owner of this treasure with me. Please pm your accounts--usernames and passwords will suffice.

astroglide
08-02-2005, 06:36 PM
my uncle is an auto body guy, he's told me about these crews of people before. they're in st. louis too so it must apparently be everywhere. short story version is don't do it. get an actual pro in an actual shop, a lot of them (like my uncle) moonlight in other shops for lower rates.

scott8
08-02-2005, 06:38 PM
I don't think the scam is that obvious. (i.e. gold hypo)
As far as fixing the dent myself? Maybe its possible, but these guys all seem to know paint/body repair.

It seems if it is a scam it would involve the materials used.