PDA

View Full Version : Buying A Car

gaming_mouse
08-02-2005, 06:00 PM
I need to get a reliable new or used car for 15K or less.

I was thinking some kind of honda, toyota, or acura (but am open to any suggestions) -- something that requires little maintenance and runs a long time.

Anyone have any specific models to recommend?

How about places to buy them? I'm in LA.

Thanks,
gm

jason_t
08-02-2005, 06:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I need to get a reliable new or used car for 15K or less.

I was thinking some kind of honda, toyota, or acura (but am open to any suggestions) -- something that requires little maintenance and runs a long time.

Anyone have any specific models to recommend?

How about places to buy them? I'm in LA.

Thanks,
gm

[/ QUOTE ]

Too bad you aren't staying in LA longer because I'd sell you my 2004 Honda Civic LX once the 2006s hit the market. That said, a recent Honda Civic is a very good purchase given your requirements. The few times I've taken my car to Miller Honda in Culver City, their used lot has looked healthy.

gaming_mouse
08-02-2005, 06:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Too bad you aren't staying in LA longer because I'd sell you my 2004 Honda Civic LX once the 2006s hit the market. That said, a recent Honda Civic is a very good purchase given your requirements. The few times I've taken my car to Miller Honda in Culver City, their used lot has looked healthy.

[/ QUOTE ]

hey man.

yeah i was thinking about that, or a corolla. i'll check out that lot.

how come you're not on IM?

jason_t
08-02-2005, 06:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hey man.

yeah i was thinking about that, or a corolla. i'll check out that lot.

how come you're not on IM?

[/ QUOTE ]

The old Corollas, while reliable, are in my opinion a terrible car. The newer models (I think 2004 and 2005) are fantastic.

I'm on vacation in New York. I'll try to be on AIM later otherwise I'll telephone you tonight.

MikeNaked
08-02-2005, 06:33 PM
I'll second that. I bought a sweet 2003 Honda Civic this year for my highway commute for $15k and I love it. ~35 mpg = +EV

MtSmalls
08-02-2005, 07:17 PM
If you have any sense of mechanics and or are willing to pay for a few CarFax reports, check the local ads. You'll save an easy 10% over the dealer rape-you-on-the-spot prices. Unless your fixated on the Honda Certified, or need the dealer to finance. (Also DONT use dealer financing unless you have to. Your local bank or credit union will give you an overall better deal)

partygirluk
08-02-2005, 07:20 PM
Are you ever gonna get your ugly butt over here? I want my 2001fp and cuban cigars (actually, can you get the latter in American duty free? trade imbargo right?).

08-02-2005, 07:35 PM
Honda and toyota will last forever. I love driving honda's but toyota's are nice to work on. Don't get drum breaks. Make sure it's disc on all 4 wheels.

JoePro
08-02-2005, 07:45 PM
Get a mazda protege, or a mazda 3. They are really fun to drive and very reliable. And more stylish than honda/toyota's IMO.