PDA

View Full Version : My game has completely disintegrated.

octaveshift
08-02-2005, 03:17 PM
Down 20 buy-ins in the 55s. Haven't managed a first place finish in 3 days.

If you see me at the table, feel free to point and laugh as I donk off my stack.

bluewilde
08-02-2005, 03:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you see me at the table, feel free to point and laugh as I donk off my stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now, I expect you're much better at tilt control than myself, but being stuck over 1K and no firsts for three days? I'd certainly be playing poorly, perhaps take a few days off.

11t
08-02-2005, 03:21 PM
Don't let variance affect your game.

Lady Dont Tekno
08-02-2005, 03:21 PM
On Sunday I dropped 15 at the $55s. I took Monday off and am going back at it again today.

Whenever you have a bad drop and feel like this, take some time off. Don't think about poker for a day. Before you fall asleep the night before you start playing again, think about the game. Visualize winning, not just the flashing "Congratulations!" screen I mean actually think about playing an SNG from start to finish.

The most important thing is not to play if you still feel troubled. Once you get your mind clear and focused again, hit the tables. Good luck bro.

LDT

octaveshift
08-02-2005, 03:28 PM
Don't let variance affect your game.

I hear you.

It's funny, I always read about huge downswings from some of the best posters here, and I always thought "That's insane. It can't happen. It won't happen to me!"

Well, on a long enought timeline, it's inevitable.

I just can't believe I am losing to minraising donks!

bluewilde
08-02-2005, 03:33 PM
Yeah, I hear that. I play at a lower limits than you, but I still hate losing to outright ugly plays. After a while I expect to lose. I expect my aces to be cracked, kings are hopeless, I know my flush draws won't hit etc. Now, I realize attitude doesn't impact how the cards fall, but I really think pulling myself out of a downswing is a matter convincing myself I play better than most of the table/remembering that the game is beatable.

hyde
08-02-2005, 03:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Down 20 buy-ins in the 55s. Haven't managed a first place finish in 3 days.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's play at the same table. I am following down your road right behind you. though I did sneak in one win yesterday. but I had to suck out a set with my 55 vs QQ......
At least if we are at the same table we take the heat off each other........maybe if we ridicule each other the rest of the table will leave us alone...
I"d take a day off from poker as some of your replies have suggested, but that would bring fixing the toilet to the top of my "to do" list.....

drink more?
drink less?
fix the toilet?

hyde

AliasMrJones
08-02-2005, 03:45 PM
I think Party's RNG on the STT's must be out of whack. I was down 18 buy-in's at the 55's just last week. On the rebound now...

octaveshift
08-02-2005, 03:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I had to suck out a set with my 55 vs QQ......

[/ QUOTE ]

These are the guys that are keeping me from the money. Check out this guy's call. Luckily I kicked him in the gonads after the flop this time.

#Game No : 2466114131
***** Hand History for Game 2466114131 *****
NL Texas Hold'em $50 Buy-in + $5 Entry Fee Trny:14481532 Level:7 Blinds(150/300) - Tuesday, August 02, 15:31:56 EDT 2005
Table Table 12123 (Real Money)
Seat 8 is the button
Total number of players : 4
Seat 4: batmanbeqins ( $3370 )
Seat 9: TWOGRANDS ( $3460 )
Seat 8: kyonionhead ( $1395 )
Seat 6: xyrophobic ( $1775 )
Trny:14481532 Level:7
Blinds(150/300)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to xyrophobic [ 5c 5s ]
xyrophobic is all-In [1775]
kyonionhead is all-In [1395]
TWOGRANDS folds.
batmanbeqins folds.
** Dealing Flop ** [ 4d, 3s, Qc ]
** Dealing Turn ** [ 5h ]
** Dealing River ** [ 5d ]
xyrophobic shows [ 5c, 5s ] four of a kind, fives.
kyonionhead shows [ Qs, 8s ] two pairs, queens and fives.
xyrophobic wins 380 chips from side pot #1 with four of a kind, fives.
xyrophobic wins 3240 chips from the main pot with four of a kind, fives.
kyonionhead finished in fourth place.
Q8
lol
kyonionhead has left the table.
Game #2466115661 starts.

octaveshift
08-02-2005, 03:50 PM
I guess given my hand here, he is getting great odds to call.

jeffraider
08-02-2005, 03:51 PM
I've been having a really bad week, too, but I sat down and examined every HH I played in exhaustive detail and I found that my first two losing days I was playing my normal game without much deviation and the first two days were mostly bad luck, running into big hands on bubble, having big hands cracked, etc. The next three days however, I found about 25 out of 40 games that I had donked in one way or another. I'm playing good today and winning a bit, so I highly highly recommend an intense self-evaluation.

durron597
08-02-2005, 03:55 PM
If you have a complete HH that you feel you weren't playing your A game in, or an HH with several questionable decisions, post it. I will look at it.

octaveshift
08-02-2005, 04:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you have a complete HH that you feel you weren't playing your A game in, or an HH with several questionable decisions, post it. I will look at it.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's hands like this. Ugh.

***** Hand History for Game 2466428835 *****
NL Texas Hold'em $50 Buy-in + $5 Entry Fee Trny:14483786 Level:3 Blinds(25/50) - Tuesday, August 02, 16:44:53 EDT 2005
Table Table 12859 (Real Money)
Seat 6 is the button
Total number of players : 5
Seat 8: xyrophobic ( $885 )
Seat 2: SHA18676 ( $893 )
Seat 6: yelwash ( $4465 )
Seat 7: SFChopstick ( $1840 )
Seat 10: pokerdecon ( $1917 )
Trny:14483786 Level:3
Blinds(25/50)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to xyrophobic [ Kc Ac ]
pokerdecon folds.
SHA18676 folds.
yelwash raises [150].
SFChopstick folds.
xyrophobic is all-In [835]
yelwash calls [735].
** Dealing Flop ** [ 9d, Qh, 8h ]
** Dealing Turn ** [ Qc ]
** Dealing River ** [ Jd ]
yelwash shows [ 9c, Ah ] two pairs, queens and nines.
xyrophobic shows [ Kc, Ac ] a pair of queens.
yelwash wins 1795 chips from the main pot with two pairs, queens and nines.
xyrophobic finished in fifth place.
xyrophobic has left the table.

KramerTM
08-02-2005, 04:57 PM
After a 10 buy-in tear at the 55s, I immediately dropped 20 buy-ins. Suffice it to say, I am back to the 22s right now. We all go through it. I, for one, know I will start to play badly after a really bad run. So I figure it's a wise move to get back on track on the lower limits rather than stick around at the higher ones.

octaveshift
08-02-2005, 05:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
After a 10 buy-in tear at the 55s, I immediately dropped 20 buy-ins. Suffice it to say, I am back to the 22s right now. We all go through it. I, for one, know I will start to play badly after a really bad run. So I figure it's a wise move to get back on track on the lower limits rather than stick around at the higher ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'm throwing in a few 22s here and there.

KramerTM
08-02-2005, 05:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'm throwing in a few 22s here and there.

[/ QUOTE ]

See you at the tables then. One of has to win!

lacky
08-02-2005, 05:17 PM
havent read the rest of the thread, dont need to. you have gotten to the point where you expect to lose. when you get to that point you HAVE to take time off. 3 to 4 days, no poker, no poker books, not much here, nothing. then spend a day catching up, reviewing your hand histories from your bad run, etc. Then your ready to go again. You will find enough things you could have done different or different ideas to try and will have put enough distance from the bad run to get your confidence back.

The time off thing really does work, try it.

Steve

tigerite
08-02-2005, 09:00 PM
Had a bad run tonight. It happens. Only down about 2-3 buy ins after 20 odd tourneys, so that's quite a result with some of the beats I've been taking.

skierdude1000
08-02-2005, 09:36 PM
wow, i'm going through same thing... just dropped 10 buyins this morning.... lost 25% of my roll... now grinding back to get it... still free falling though...

Maybe time for a break

Peace

astarck
08-02-2005, 09:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you have gotten to the point where you expect to lose. when you get to that point you HAVE to take time off.

[/ QUOTE ]

I found myself here just a few days ago. I took a few days off and while I still think I'm going to lose (big downswings are rough), I'm not expecting to. I don't think my game changed much during my downswing, but I was expecting to lose every time I was in a hand.

[ QUOTE ]
The time off thing really does work, try it.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's not lying.

Also, I think the biggest boost someone can get in the SNG world is after having taken some time off you come back and are up 10 buyins on the first day back. Confidence is instantly restored.

octaveshift
08-02-2005, 09:40 PM
Well, I turned it around today.

1st in a limit MTT.
2nd in a 55.
2nd in a 22.
Just won a HU SNG on stars.

Although I just lost a HU match with Durron. The little batch trapped me with a mini bet.

/images/graemlins/mad.gif

bmxreed36
08-02-2005, 09:50 PM
Just a few days ago I learned about easily and wicked these downswings can be. Down 28 buy-ins in one day, never had anything close to that. Amazingly, I kept on that day and ended up down a measily 4 bucks. Still took a couple days off though. Just goes to show that one upswing can make up for it all, so don't get down on yourself.

johnnybeef
08-02-2005, 09:57 PM
No offense, but I'm getting sick of seeing posts like this. 20 buyins is nothing. There are so many players on this board that have been on a heater for at least the last two months and variance is starting to catch up a little bit. It can get rough.....check out this (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=singletable&Number=302 3105&Forum=&Words=&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=3023 105&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=20162&daterange =1&newerval=1&newertype=w&olderval=&oldertype=&bod yprev=#Post3023105)

astarck
08-02-2005, 10:44 PM
I agree thread after thread of downswing posts gets really old after a short while. But people do need some type of place to vent.

I for one have been posting some about my recent downswing in already started threads. I have experienced pretty heavy downswings in the past (nothing quite like 400 SNGS at -5%). But the reason I post some about my swings is that it helps and I am in the process of moving up and the first swing at the higher level is challenging to deal with. A swing in the 11s is very different than a swing at the higher limits (at least as you are trying to move up).

Am I suggesting that this forum be turned into one giant downswing/bad beat forum? No. Nor am I suggesting that everyone start a new thread every time they are running bad. But I don't see the problem with posting a downswing INSIDE a thread.

MegaBet
08-02-2005, 11:12 PM
I have yet to experience a large downswing.

durron597
08-02-2005, 11:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Although I just lost a HU match with Durron. The little batch trapped me with a mini bet.

/images/graemlins/mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

http://espn-att.starwave.com/i/magazine/new/040622_malkovich.jpg

durron597
08-02-2005, 11:19 PM
1 first 1 second 1 third in 14 SnGs. Bleh.

Nottom
08-02-2005, 11:20 PM
Seems like everyone is running bad recently; I'm down 25 Buyins in the past 2 days, around 50 SNGs. A friend of mine sat and observed some of my tables today and was just dumb founded by how bad I was running.

The scary thing is its not really a string of bad beats (although there have certainly been a few that stick out). It's just a constant inability to get payed off when I have a big hand combined with a complete lack of suckouts on my part, which any decent SNG player will tell you really is key to success. If you don't win your share of 40/60s when you get caught stealing, things get ugly really fast.

Bonafone
08-02-2005, 11:21 PM
I know exactly where you are, that feeling that you are always going to lose is not a good one. Do not play til it goes away. I tried to play through my 25 buy in downswing (at the 50's as well) thinking I had to learn to do it eventually...bad idea. 45 buyins total and I decided to take a break.

My advice, which is the same as many others, take a break from stt's. Go play some multi's or cash game, but don't play another stt til you feel like you can win.

Scuba Chuck
08-03-2005, 03:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Seems like everyone is running bad recently; I'm down 25 Buyins in the past 2 days, around 50 SNGs. A friend of mine sat and observed some of my tables today and was just dumb founded by how bad I was running.

The scary thing is its not really a string of bad beats (although there have certainly been a few that stick out). It's just a constant inability to get payed off when I have a big hand combined with a complete lack of suckouts on my part, which any decent SNG player will tell you really is key to success. If you don't win your share of 40/60s when you get caught stealing, things get ugly really fast.

[/ QUOTE ]

F.uck, are you kidding me? If I could just win my share of 75/25s, I'd be happy. I constantly remind myself that you cannot make money when your money hands don't hold. Losing overpairs to pairs (like AA v JJ) consistently makes for a very disconcerting evening. Tonight is a great example for me. I played 40 tourneys. I went out of 9 of them when I was a 3:1 favorite or better. If you figure JUST 3rd place finishes for those, it's a profitable evening. But when you they don't hold, then it's -20+% ROI time.

But, in essense, I agree with your claim.