PDA

View Full Version : ethics question concerning references

gamblore99
08-02-2005, 12:42 PM
I while ago I got a letter of reference from a previous employer. It was a great job (working with disabled kids), and looks very good for lots of the jobs/volunteer positions I am applying for. Although I think he tried hard and had only the best intentions, the reference isn't as great as I want it to be. I am thinking about editing it. (he gave me a copy on email)

Anything positiive about myself that I write, he will definitely back as he really liked me and vice versa. Should I do it?

TheWorstPlayer
08-02-2005, 12:42 PM
ask him first.

Voltron87
08-02-2005, 12:44 PM
uh, editing a reference letter is crazy unethical

Voltron87
08-02-2005, 12:45 PM
follow up: if you dont feel the recommendation did you justice, talk to the guy who wrote it. but editing without him knowing and presenting words he didnt write as something he did, its not even close in terms of ethics.

Shajen
08-02-2005, 12:46 PM
"Hey thanks for taking the time to write the letter for me, but it simply isn't good enough. I made some edits, can you go ahead and approve them before I do it? K, thanks."
<font color="white">you are insane if you do something like this. </font>

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-02-2005, 12:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
follow up: if you dont feel the recommendation did you justice, talk to the guy who wrote it. but editing without him knowing and presenting words he didnt write as something he did, its not even close in terms of ethics.

[/ QUOTE ]
Holy crap yes. You CANNOT edit a letter of reference.

RacersEdge
08-02-2005, 12:54 PM
What's the problem - he's just not good at writing - or his opinion wasn't as good as you wanted it to be? If its writing, try to get a thrid person to re-write it with him.

gamblore99
08-04-2005, 01:44 PM
thanks guys. I am glad I asked this.

08-04-2005, 04:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I while ago I got a letter of reference from a previous employer. It was a great job (working with disabled kids), and looks very good for lots of the jobs/volunteer positions I am applying for. Although I think he tried hard and had only the best intentions, the reference isn't as great as I want it to be. I am thinking about editing it. (he gave me a copy on email)

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, many potential employers will evaluate you based on how well your reference letter is written. If you get a reference letter filled with poor grammar and/or content that doesn't make you shine, you're probably not going to get the job.

Definitely edit the reference letter liberally so that it puts you in the best possible light.

djoyce003
08-04-2005, 04:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, many potential employers will evaluate you based on how well your reference letter is written. If you get a reference letter filled with poor grammar and/or content that doesn't make you shine, you're probably not going to get the job.

Definitely edit the reference letter liberally so that it puts you in the best possible light.

[/ QUOTE ]

laugh, great gimmick account.

sfer
08-05-2005, 06:12 PM
Awesome.