PDA

View Full Version : France Loosens Labor Law to Help Firms

adios
08-02-2005, 12:40 PM
FYI

France Loosens Labor Law to Help Firms (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050802/ap_on_bi_ge/france_jobs)

The French government approved new labor laws Tuesday making it easier for small companies to hire and fire, prompting angry reactions from trade unions.

Prime Minister Dominique de Villepin and members of his government issued six new decrees designed to boost employment as they met for their last cabinet meeting before the summer break.

Among the new measures, the most ambitious — and hotly contested by unions — is the "New Recruit Contract" allowing companies to lay off workers anytime in their first two years of employment, without giving any reasons.

andyfox
08-02-2005, 01:14 PM
Anecdotal, but FWIW: I just got back from Paris, total of three days there. All the young people I spoke to were anxious to come to the U.S. Economic condiditons, according to them, suck in France. Workers have a 35-hour work week and five weeks guaranteed vacation. There just doesn't seem to be any rush to get anything done. I compare this with what I see when I go to Asia where the people don't seem to be as opposed to working long hours to get the job done. I imagine I'm oversimplifying but I get the feeling, when I go to Europe (at least to France and Italy) that they're old and tired, whereas the Chinese and Taiwanese are dynamic and enterprising.

lehighguy
08-02-2005, 02:02 PM
I've never been to Europe, but I'll back up your statement about Asia. They are so optimistic about the future. They don't dread change like in the west.

Zeno
08-03-2005, 12:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
....whereas the Chinese and Taiwanese are dynamic and enterprising.

[/ QUOTE ]

I spent almost two months in Taiwan in early 1998 doing some work and I can attest to the work ethic and 'dynamic and enterprising'. In fact, in my opinion the Taiwanese work a bit too hard. But that is partly the function of the recent history of the island (since ~ 1949 and the KMT). Things were starting to relax a bit when I was there; I think people would actual take a full day off - on Saturday or maybe that was Sunday. Anyway, the place is a teeming beehive of economic and trade activity. Really amazing.

-Zeno

Zeno
08-03-2005, 09:00 AM
By the way, I like the avatar. Very becoming.

-Zeno

andyfox
08-03-2005, 11:54 AM
Funny, I just noticed it myself. I don't even know how to install an avatar. Methinks Dynasty took it upon himself, the sly fox that he is.

MMMMMM
08-03-2005, 11:55 AM
Great Avatar.