PDA

View Full Version : Top Two Pair Bubble Hand

MikeyEdge
08-02-2005, 08:29 AM
320 multi-table on UB. 43 or so players left, 40 pays. Blinds 300/600 25 ante. I have about 7,000, which is about average or below. There was 2 limpers ahead of me, which was unusual for the way the game was going. Most hands were uncontested pre-flop.I decided to limp with J-10s. SB calls, BB checks.

Flop comes J-10-7 rainbow. Checks around to me. I have top two pair. I put in a pot size bet, about 3,000. SB reraises all-in and has me covered. Call or fold?

sekrah
08-02-2005, 08:32 AM
SB's stack? I probably fold preflop and find the money before I play a pot with less than premium hands.

But since your already here, It's a a call for your last 3400.

Toddy
08-02-2005, 08:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
320 multi-table on UB. 43 or so players left, 40 pays. Blinds 300/600 25 ante. I have about 7,000, which is about average or below. There was 2 limpers ahead of me, which was unusual for the way the game was going. Most hands were uncontested pre-flop.I decided to limp with J-10s. SB calls, BB checks.

Flop comes J-10-7 rainbow. Checks around to me. I have top two pair. I put in a pot size bet, about 3,000. SB reraises all-in and has me covered. Call or fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh man. He has 8-9 written all over. I really don't know if I could lay this down. He also may have something like JQ or JK. I think I'd call. You'd be getting pretty good odds.

beetyjoose
08-02-2005, 08:43 AM
There's a good chance he's on a straight draw and senses you are making a position bet to steal. Therefore making a call here is easy.

However, he could have you beat with set of 7's or already flopped the straight. You would think if he flopped the straight he may just smoothe call your bet.

Personally I would call here because you only have about 6.5 BB left after this hand and there is a good chance you have him beat (I've seen this play several times, where people flop top pair or even middle pair. They don't bet out because of the drawing board, but they check raise in an attempt to isolate. Meanwhile you would have him beat the whole way). You could fold your way into the money, but we all know the real money is at the top.

Just out of curiosity did you have any read on the type of player he was? Has he checked raised like this before?

ZeeJustin
08-02-2005, 09:03 AM
You have to call. The pot is huge and you are certainly > 50% to be ahead. If you fold here, your preflop limp is terrible.

billyjex
08-02-2005, 09:06 AM
Does anyone feel they could push this preflop? Two weak limpers, people are playing tight on the bubble. Pot is about 2200.

I don't know the stack sizes, and might be concerned about a big stack who limped calling me with a pair, but otherwise, I want those chips.

As it happened, you have to call. He will have just a J, KQ, T7 here enough. Sorry he had 98.

MikeyEdge
08-02-2005, 01:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Oh man. He has 8-9 written all over.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, he had the 8-9. I could have folded and squeaked into the money and then tried to double up. But I called. I felt like he had a small pair with a gutshot draw. Should I have only bet half the pot instead of the whole pot? Maybe I could have gotten away from this hand had he reraised me and I had only bet 1,500. I just wanted to take the pot down right there though.

I didn't have a read on him, I was just moved to the table a few hands earlier.

McMelchior
08-02-2005, 02:17 PM
There's no way you should get away from this hand. Even if he has the str8 you still have 4 outs twice. As ZJustin said, if you fold here your preflop limp sucks.

And on this flop there's a large number of hands he'd be moving with that you beat hands down - nothing here "has 8-9 written all over"; AJ, KQ, KJ, J7, T7, Q9, 77. Just your bad luck for the day that he had the made str8 and you didn't catch your outs.

I'm somewhat apprehensive about the PF limp.

Two limpers ahead of you and the blinds yet to act, and you're committing 10% of your stack. Obviously you'll have to fold if there's a raise behind you.

I'd probably fold anyway ... JT is just not strong enough to move in after 2 limpers, unless they have proved very timid previously.

You limp, get to see the flop, basically flop the best you could hope for, and then you're concerned when SB moves over the top? If you don't want to get your chips in on the flop with this hand it's a must fold preflop.

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)