PDA

View Full Version : So apparently the Eleventh Commandment is...

jakethebake
08-02-2005, 08:18 AM
...Thou shalt drive 20 miles under the speed limit. I got behind two different cars this morning with Christian bumper stickers and both were doing 25-30 in a 45.

One said "Rejoice in the Lord" with some Catholic church name on it. The other had the fish and a sticker that said "Real Men Love Jesus". This one has become popular around here lately.

Anyway what's the deal with this? Was "Take It Slow on the Lord's Roadways" last month's feature in the Sermon of the Month Club or what?

coffeecrazy1
08-02-2005, 08:39 AM
I don't think this Commandment appears in my King James Bible. That said, think about Ned Flanders, and you might get a little more insight into the mindset. Or...just remember that the government is the drill sergeant and these super-Christian types are Forrest Gump in the following example:

Sergeant: "GUMP, what is your sole purpose in this army?"
Gump: "To do whatever you tell me, DRILL SERGEANT!"

08-02-2005, 09:24 AM
"During Ronald Reagan's 1966 campaign for governor of California, Republicans established the so-called Eleventh Commandment: "Thou shalt not speak ill of any fellow Republican."

I guess we can give you the twelfth.

ChipWrecked
08-02-2005, 09:35 AM
Don't you live in South Florida? C'mon. It's hard to maintain speed when you're having a heart attack at the wheel.

durron597
08-02-2005, 09:36 AM
This morning for me it was "Praise the Creator, not the Creations" or some BS like that. Grr.

Dominic
08-02-2005, 10:18 AM
I like the mock-fish symbol with the little feet on them...

CollinEstes
08-02-2005, 10:21 AM
HWJD. How would Jesus Drive?

... he probably would never get anywhere because he couldn't merge he would just let everyone else go.

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-02-2005, 10:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
think about Ned Flanders, and you might get a little more insight into the mindset.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes. Let's base our opinion of an entire set of people on the over-the-top caricature portrayed on a cartoon sitcom.

jakethebake
08-02-2005, 10:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
think about Ned Flanders, and you might get a little more insight into the mindset.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes. Let's base our opinion of an entire set of people on the over-the-top caricature portrayed on a cartoon sitcom.

[/ QUOTE ]

Over the top?

CollinEstes
08-02-2005, 10:30 AM
Yeah I am a Christian and I resent Ned Flanders sterotype

Okly Dokly?

08-02-2005, 11:52 AM
I alway thought the 11th Commandment was...

Thou Shalt Not Cover Up The Acts Of Pervert Priest.

theghost
08-02-2005, 11:55 AM
"...thou shalt not think rationally about your belief in a ghost in the sky who grants wishes."

poker-penguin
08-02-2005, 12:00 PM
What's the line on this thread sparking a rare Sklansky appearance in OOT?

coffeecrazy1
08-02-2005, 12:11 PM
I never said that I wasn't a Christian. In fact, I very much am a Christian. However, since I went to a large state school in Texas mostly composed of white, conservative Christians, I feel as though I have an idea of the mindset that the OP was referring to...ie, comport to any laws, and err well on the side of safety just to be sure, because breaking any law of man, could, someday, be considered a sin. It is a defensive and exclusive mode of thinking that has largely sapped real-world Christians of any credibility or efficacy...hence my post.

2planka
08-02-2005, 12:42 PM
Wasn't just you Jake. Left lane, I495, typically I have to be doing 80-85 just to keep up. This morning: 55-65.

I think it's national "I can't be bothered to pay attention when I have this cell phone thingy" day.