PDA

View Full Version : Going Pro: Week 2

Degen
08-02-2005, 05:44 AM
Week 2 Is Up! Enjoy! (http://grindblog.blogspot.com/)

Any and all feedback welcomed here or on the blog.

Thanks!

vinyard
08-02-2005, 05:53 AM
I like the writing and certainly wish you well in your quest. The blog itself is incredibly difficult for me to read. It might be the referesh rate on my monitor combined with the white type on black background but it gives me a headache to read it.

Degen
08-02-2005, 06:15 AM
hmmm it looks good to me and i dig it, Dutch Boyd (http://www.dutchboyd.com/blog/blog.html) has his same way...but thanks for the feedback, if anybody else has same problem please post here and I'll do diff color scheme.

byronkincaid
08-02-2005, 06:29 AM
Why don't you just click on the ad on your blog and make $25K a month?

curtains
08-02-2005, 06:41 AM
One quick note....You make some claim of being a monster fave with an open end straight draw against a pair of aces. If you don't have a pair, Im pretty sure you cant even be above 60%.

The term "MONSTER" fave should be reserved for at least 80-90%+ shots. Once you start using it for a 60% shot (and probably your situation is closer to 55-57%, what we often call a coinflip when we have AK vs QQ preflop in a sit and go), you are going to have a lot of bad beat stories to tell about how your monsters went down in flames.

Degen
08-02-2005, 06:50 AM
Curtains 2
Degen 0

I ran the odds and it was 56:44 in my case...i thought it was closer to 2:1.

I'll edit the blog now.

Thanks for reading, and feel free to keep ripping into me lol, i can take it and i def need it.

curtains
08-02-2005, 06:55 AM
hehe. Even 2-1 isnt a monster fave, but okay its getting much closer.... but okay whenever Im losing something 1 out of 3 times I can't consider it a monster fave, but okay I don't consider pair over pair a monster fave. I'd need to get hit by some runner runner or something as a 90-95% favorite to feel really unlucky.

You just reminded me of Phil Hellmuth for a second, when he had some draw on TV and claimed after the hand when he didnt hit, that he was a 3-1 favorite (I cant remember the hand but I think he was about 55% or so also).

Freudian
08-02-2005, 07:20 AM
Good read.

MTTs can be a real drain on the BR. I've learned the hard way. So I have limited myself into not playing any MTT with higher buy-in than half of my SnG buy-ins. So when I play 22s I only allow myself to play 10+1 MTTs.

Degen
08-02-2005, 07:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Good read.

MTTs can be a real drain on the BR. I've learned the hard way. So I have limited myself into not playing any MTT with higher buy-in than half of my SnG buy-ins. So when I play 22s I only allow myself to play 10+1 MTTs.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL i am operating at the total opposite, this is funny...maybe i should look at that

Also it isn't so much the bankroll strain, but also the time strain as I focus a whole bunch later in the MTT, seems almost like a 4 hour bubble...and i'm not doing SNG's in this time. Then when its over (assuming I don't go deep into the FT) i'm all bummed and don't feel like firing up any sets.

Any others have thoughts on this? How do you maintain a steady MTT diet while keeping up on your SNG's?

jon462
08-02-2005, 08:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
haha, which one? I see 2 separate adds promising 25k/month

Freudian
08-02-2005, 10:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Good read.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL i am operating at the total opposite, this is funny...maybe i should look at that

Also it isn't so much the bankroll strain, but also the time strain as I focus a whole bunch later in the MTT, seems almost like a 4 hour bubble...and i'm not doing SNG's in this time. Then when its over (assuming I don't go deep into the FT) i'm all bummed and don't feel like firing up any sets.

Any others have thoughts on this? How do you maintain a steady MTT diet while keeping up on your SNG's?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't stop playing SnGs until there are 18-20 left in the MTT. That is unless I play Omaha MTTs, which are great fun but makes my head hurt from actual thinking.

I think that if you 4-table SnGs you can play 2 SnG and 1 MTT at the same time. If you 8-table you can probably still have 5-6 SnGs running for the majority of the MTT. Most of a MTT is pure transportation. As long as you notice when people tighten up generally in the MTT you should do fine without exclusive focus on it.

Scuba Chuck
08-02-2005, 12:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How could you believe that guy. Did you see his pic? He has one monitor and it doesn't even have the 16x12 resolution, so he's playing with overlap. Counterfeit!

gomberg
08-02-2005, 12:16 PM
I have this problem with MTTs in relation to cash games. I try to play about 1 or 2 MTTs / month, and make them big buy-in ones (at least $200) or else it's not worth my time.

I learned the hard way that I make more playing cash games and I have trouble playing them after busting out of a tournament. So by only playing high buy-in events, I get my fix and can win some real money.

pooh74
08-02-2005, 01:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I play the 25+2 turbos on stars mainly (sometimes higher, sometimes lower).

I play relatively cheap infrequent MTTs that dont interfere too much with my life. Ill play the 10s 20s or 30s. I play the 30s if I'm having a good night in SNGS and the 10s and 20s a couple nights a week.

First, I play a set of 3 STTs about a half hour before the MTT starts so as to have 4 tables at once. The STTS are in bubble frenzy when the MTT starts and when the set is over, I then fire up only 2 STTs at a time while I play the MTT. If I make it to the 2nd break, I dont play any more other poker and focus on the MTT.

I find that my best result usually occur when I am playing both formats at once...keeps me patient.

Degen
08-02-2005, 06:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I play relatively cheap infrequent MTTs that dont interfere too much with my life. Ill play the 10s 20s or 30s. I play the 30s if I'm having a good night in SNGS and the 10s and 20s a couple nights a week.

First, I play a set of 3 STTs about a half hour before the MTT starts so as to have 4 tables at once. The STTS are in bubble frenzy when the MTT starts and when the set is over, I then fire up only 2 STTs at a time while I play the MTT. If I make it to the 2nd break, I dont play any more other poker and focus on the MTT.

I find that my best result usually occur when I am playing both formats at once...keeps me patient.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm ok

i like to really focus when the blinds get big in MTT's to see who i can push around...but maybe that time is better spent SNGing to keep the variance down.

i'll try it, thx man

pooh74
08-02-2005, 08:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm ok

i like to really focus when the blinds get big in MTT's to see who i can push around...but maybe that time is better spent SNGing to keep the variance down.

i'll try it, thx man

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend to not try too much fancy stuff in the first hour of an MTT....table reading can be general to suffice "agressive" "passive" etc...